Electric bikes health benefits question

Old 08-24-2023, 09:02 AM

Yes, you are missing something.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
One passed me in my golf cart doing well 20 up hill, no peddling was involved.
My motorized mobility scooter isn't licensed...and I need to get to Bingo in a hurry...

Last edited by bcsnave; 08-31-2023 at 12:42 PM.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Daddy View Post
I have a Trex electric mountain bike. I also have a non-e mountain bike. My attire: Clip in bike shoes, bike shorts, athletic wicking shirt, no gloves and of course a good helmet. Functionally, I dress like Lance A, but without the logo shirt. Many years ago, I raced Supercross in stadiums and Motocross outdoors. I was a very skilled rider. I learned to dress properly. Dress for the crash, and not the ride.

I can ride my non-e-bike at 15 MPH. If I ride my e-bike at the same level of expending energy, I get to 20 MPH. My usual ride is 1 hour, pushing hard and trying to stay at a constant 20 MPH. I get a very good cardio workout.

I ride in cart lanes and multimodal paths. I fit in nicely with golf carts. I am not a hinderance to them.

The value of the e-bike is that I get an assist for speed, but only to 20. It will not assist past that. It is a Class 1 bike. By definition, they only assist to 20 MPH, and there is no throttle. If I want 21 MPH, I have to pedal much harder than I am capable.

I think e-bikes in general are becoming a problem. There are other classes of bikes that allow throttle-controlled propulsion. I have been passed a few times by these. I am guessing their speeds were 30+. In some cases, they were hardly pedaling. These bikes are essentially an electric motorcycle, providing very little cardio value. In some cases riders were not wearing helmets. Generally speaking, they did not look very skilled at riding.
The bikes with a throttle are Class II and are speed limited to 20 Mph. Class IIIs cut off at 28 Mph, and they might hit 30 downhill. They are only pedal assist. For the most part, the Class IIIs will average between 18 and 22, depending on the power setting, wind, grade, and how hard the rider is pedaling. The higher the power, the faster the battery depletion and lower heart rate.

Your point about the multi-modal path is very good. I like to maintain the same speed as the golf carts, especially when there isn't a place to allow them to pass. Far too many bike riders are rude (understatement) and block overtaking. The only ones worse are the ones that ride by themselves on the boulevards. The bike clubs need to ride on them, but they're the exception.

Old 08-24-2023, 11:09 AM

There are torque sensor bikes that require a pedal force

Old 08-24-2023, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingby View Post
I see people dressed in bicycle attire like Lance Armstrong would have on riding electric bikes. Some of these things go over 15 mph and the people riding them are slowly pedaling. I don’t see the heath benefits to them, am I missing something?
Yes, the concept of the benefits of fresh air in an outdoor environment is missing. On a 2 wheel vehicle (even a motorcycle) the rider feels more in tune with their environment than they do in an enclosed automobile. The rider can adjust how much exercise they are getting by using either manual pedal power or using just the throttle to use electrical power to move forward. An electric bike is QUIET so the rider is more likely to see wildlife than if they were on a noisy gas-powered, fossil fuel using, motorbike. Electric bikes usually have wider wheels than ordinary pedal bikes so they are excellent at going off-road.
.......E-bike are especially excellent for riders over age 50 who may have some knee or other issues. They can be on an E-bike and when they come to a hill that would hurt or intimidate them - they just switch to full electric and continue their ENJOYABLE ride.

Old 08-24-2023, 01:28 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,762 Times in 759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingby View Post
I see people dressed in bicycle attire like Lance Armstrong would have on riding electric bikes. Some of these things go over 15 mph and the people riding them are slowly pedaling. I don’t see the heath benefits to them, am I missing something?
No, you are probably (?) correct, but I think you might be missing the point (and I mean this with utmost respect !)... it may be a hobby or interest, rather than purchased as a piece of health/exercise exercise equipment... right ? I have a friend here with a neurological condition that has made riding a bike out of the question, but she purchased an electric bike and is thrilled to be able to get out, "ride", see the passing sights. So, maybe they are not necessarily specifically for exercise ?

Old 08-24-2023, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Some people should not wear spandex.
Spandex. It's a privilege, not a right...

Old 08-24-2023, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Any motorized vehicle on road should be licensed and insured. Why do electric bike get break?
What about mobility scooters?

Last edited by bcsnave; 08-29-2023 at 09:32 AM.

Old 08-24-2023, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,297 Times in 4,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Spandex. It's a privilege, not a right...
My wife always told our girls, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should..."

-Tom Petty

Old 08-28-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
My wife always told our girls, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should..."
True statement

Last edited by bcsnave; 08-29-2023 at 09:33 AM.

Tags
electric, benefits, bikes, people, riding

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.