The ZIPPER law

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2021, 03:27 PM
Default The ZIPPER law

Posted elsewhere as well. Maybe enough people will read this to make a difference.

The ZIPPER Law. Cars traveling north on Buena Vista should learn how to merge due to the right lane closure. Even the merge sign demonstrates where the merge takes place. The half-mile backup of traffic in the left lane CAN be avoided, and I find myself the only driver doing so- slowly.

Instead of having the front end of your car partway into the left lane a mile before you need to, while hoping that some courteous driver will let you “cut in line” and being cursed at or given the finger when trying, there’s actually a system in place:

Merge like a zipper- use BOTH lanes, PLEASE.
One car merges from the blocked lane, then a car from the open lane can pass, then the next car should let one car over from the blocked lane, and so on. This pattern continues until all cars are through the merge zone, representing a zipper.

A zipper merge can keep traffic flowing in BOTH lanes by bringing some organization to the merging process. The zipper merge keeps traffic moving more smoothly, compared to a less structured approach. It sure beats people moving up, purposely not letting you in, and waiting in a long left lane way before the actual merge. The sign shows both lanes used before the closure.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	A243475A-BA1A-4981-9665-36278984501A.jpeg
Views:	11483
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	88950  
Old 04-05-2021, 03:36 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

So tell me why the "zipper" thingee wouldn't work when it says right lane closed ahead? In truth...it does and works much better when people get into the open lane asap. When you wait till the end is when you'll get flipped off because you're trying to get ahead of those who chose to do it early and properly. Any other reason is bogus and self centered.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:10 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

the sign...doesn't show where you should merge...IT SHOWS WHERE THE RIGHT(OR LEFT)LANE ENDS!!!!! You're supposed to be in the open lane long before. Sheesh. You'd think adults would base this sort of decision on common sense...not waiting till you have no choice.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts
Default The earlier thread.

Zipper merges
Old 04-05-2021, 09:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Guess we have a new thing to argue about
Old 04-05-2021, 10:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Get real, plenty of self centered run right up in right lane pass the line knowing some on will let them in. Why do they do that? Self centered A-hs
Or, just possibly, these are drivers who are experienced with zipper merges and understand, as studies show, that using both lanes and zippering at the end moves traffic more efficiently.

(I believe links to the studies were posted in the previous thread mentioned above)

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-06-2021, 03:25 AM

Too many would be traffic cops who dont understand how zipper merges work. God forbid you try to explain to them that there are actual, scientific studies why they do work. They always know better.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:52 AM
Default Courteous

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooColdNJ View Post
Posted elsewhere as well. Maybe enough people will read this to make a difference.

The ZIPPER Law. Cars traveling north on Buena Vista should learn how to merge due to the right lane closure. Even the merge sign demonstrates where the merge takes place. The half-mile backup of traffic in the left lane CAN be avoided, and I find myself the only driver doing so- slowly.

Instead of having the front end of your car partway into the left lane a mile before you need to, while hoping that some courteous driver will let you “cut in line” and being cursed at or given the finger when trying, there’s actually a system in place:

Merge like a zipper- use BOTH lanes, PLEASE.
One car merges from the blocked lane, then a car from the open lane can pass, then the next car should let one car over from the blocked lane, and so on. This pattern continues until all cars are through the merge zone, representing a zipper.

A zipper merge can keep traffic flowing in BOTH lanes by bringing some organization to the merging process. The zipper merge keeps traffic moving more smoothly, compared to a less structured approach. It sure beats people moving up, purposely not letting you in, and waiting in a long left lane way before the actual merge. The sign shows both lanes used before the closure.
I hear what you are saying, and I agree 100%, with one exception: Anyone who wants to cut in line will continue to do so, no matter what they read or what someone tells them. Same as the maskers vs anti-maskers, nothing will change their mind to go one way or the other. It's just the way it is, we all must accept this type of attitude. Either accept it or move to an area where there are very few people.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Sorry Mr zipper I didn’t mean to flip you off I was just having a bad day
Old 04-06-2021, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
I hear what you are saying, and I agree 100%, with one exception: Anyone who wants to cut in line will continue to do so, no matter what they read or what someone tells them. Same as the maskers vs anti-maskers, nothing will change their mind to go one way or the other. It's just the way it is, we all must accept this type of attitude. Either accept it or move to an area where there are very few people.
Cut in line?? Like that brief second of time really makes a difference in someone’s life? And these are majority retirees who shouldn’t be in a hurry anyway.....
Old 04-06-2021, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Get real, plenty of self centered run right up in right lane pass the line knowing some on will let them in. Why do they do that? Self centered A-hs
Yeah your thoughts, maybe those who understand how it actually works and are following it....and that slight hesitation it causes you, maybe enough to get out a yawn...such an inconvenience to life...
Old 04-06-2021, 05:07 AM
Default Merge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Guess we have a new thing to argue about
How do you propose we merge in The Village of Stu? Will we be forced to merge in The Village of Stu?
Old 04-06-2021, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
There isn’t cutting in line when you use the zipper. Both lanes have about the same number of cars.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:33 AM

Both lanes are open until you reach the obstruction. The other day some ****** pulled half way into the other lane to prevent traffic from flowing in that lane 1/2+ mile before the lane closed. This wanabe cop needs to be arrested for hindering the flow of traffic. And you wonder where road rage comes from?
Old 04-06-2021, 05:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
So tell me why the "zipper" thingee wouldn't work when it says right lane closed ahead? In truth...it does and works much better when people get into the open lane asap. When you wait till the end is when you'll get flipped off because you're trying to get ahead of those who chose to do it early and properly. Any other reason is bogus and self centered.
USE THE ZIPPER!!! IF every driver used this method NO-ONE would get flipped off. Why would anyone want to merge a mile BEFORE the merge occurs???? When I drive right up to the merge point I am not trying to beat anyone or cut in line, I am merging. One logical suggestion however would be to reduce the speed limit at the point where the merge warning is given. Unfortunately not many seem to do that

Last edited by Sandy and Ed; 04-06-2021 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Added messaged
Closed Thread

Tags
merge, lane, zipper, car, lanes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.