? on Electric/Hybrid Vehicle's

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2021, 05:10 AM
Veteran member

I have a Camry hybrid. I LOVE it! Its my second Camry hybrid, and I get 49.1 mpg driving around town, a little more on the highway. Its quiet and streamlined, has all the bells and whistles of a gas Camry, and I didn't find it expensive - it was a last year leftover the dealer probably needed to get off the lot. They gave me a good deal on my trade-in as well. I think the prices have come down on the hybrids, and are closer in price to the regular gas guzzlers. I hardly ever seem to fill up with gas. I think the range is around 550 miles if I recalll or something similiar.I can see why people might reject an all - electric car, with concerns about range, having to plug in etc., but a hybrid is like a regular car, just gets better mileage, there is no plugging in. I will probably never by an all gasoline car again.
Old 10-29-2021, 05:18 AM
Gold member

Maybe GM will import this...Still cheaper than a golf cart.

2022 WULING HONGGUANG MINI EV Cabrio Concept (Electric Car) debut in 2021 Auto Shanghai (plus pics) - YouTube

Probably can't be federalized.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:28 AM
Sage

First of all, semis (diesel-based) do not have a cargo capacity of 80,000 lbs, as you stated. 80,000 lbs is the total weight limit for the entire truck, including the cargo. However, EV semis in the US have a 82,000 lb total weight limit. In Europe, the EV semi total weight limit is 84,000 lbs. Some estimates have the Tesla Semi powertrain weight with a 300 mile battery pack at about the same weight as a diesel powertrain. For longer range batteries, the additional 2,000 lbs of total weight limit will offset some of the additional battery weight. Clearly, they are waiting for at-scale production of the 4680 batteries since their energy to weight ratio is better than the 2170s. As I already stated, they will make sense for some applications, not all. For example, those instances where the truck is only out for a day and returns to the same depot every night and there is sufficient range for the whole day is one such application. Mentioning a 787 is a strawman argument. Please feel free to post again once the Tesla Semi starts shipping in volume and real world data is available. If it's cost per mile is better than a diesel it will do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
The battery will always overrun the cargo capacity(80,000 lbs)...Energy Density.
An unladen electrified Boeing 787 Dreamliner would not even get off the ground.

Last edited by biker1; 10-29-2021 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:04 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
I have a Camry hybrid. I LOVE it! Its my second Camry hybrid, and I get 49.1 mpg driving around town, a little more on the highway. Its quiet and streamlined, has all the bells and whistles of a gas Camry, and I didn't find it expensive - it was a last year leftover the dealer probably needed to get off the lot. They gave me a good deal on my trade-in as well. I think the prices have come down on the hybrids, and are closer in price to the regular gas guzzlers. I hardly ever seem to fill up with gas. I think the range is around 550 miles if I recalll or something similiar.I can see why people might reject an all - electric car, with concerns about range, having to plug in etc., but a hybrid is like a regular car, just gets better mileage, there is no plugging in. I will probably never by an all gasoline car again.
Dad's 2019 Camry, 4 cylinder turbo, gets 40- 45 mpg.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Too quiet. I need that piped in V8 sound then maybe...not....
i hear ya. i'm one of those old farts who cannot accept anything but a v8. he's an 2008 town car, & would not trade him for any $$ or other car in the world. it's true love, lol
Old 10-29-2021, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post
The Toyota "Prime" vehicles are all plug-in hybrids. I drove a Prius Prime for years, and the Rav 4 Prime is every bit as reliable. You don't actually choose when to use battery power, it's a hybrid, so it switches seamlessly between electric and gas. When you plug it in you are charging the traction battery, which will get you around 40 miles, depending on speed, before it uses the hybrid technology, which is now nailed down technologically. Basically plug-in hybrids have 3 power systems, gasoline engine, electric motor, traction battery. And it is staggering how much misinformation is out there regarding electric vehicles. I have driven hybrids for well over a decade. And there is not MORE maintenance, there is much LESS. By the way it is really hard to find a Rav 4 Prime in Florida, they are all over the place further north, and maybe it is because the RAV 4 has all-wheel drive. I ended up with a BMW X3e, plug-in hybrid SUV and I am thrilled with it. I bought it in Ocala and was not gouged in any way, in fact it was very reasonable.
you are correct when you say these cars are more common up north. you need that all- wheel or front wheel drive to make it on those icy steep hills & secondary roads after a snow storm hits. here, not so much
Old 10-29-2021, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
i hear ya. i'm one of those old farts who cannot accept anything but a v8. he's an 2008 town car, & would not trade him for any $$ or other car in the world. it's true love, lol
I'm in that club too, I have no use for hybrid or electric vehicles.

Tags
concerns, coming, vehicles, batterys, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.