? on Electric/Hybrid Vehicle's

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2021, 12:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts
Default ? on Electric/Hybrid Vehicle's

From the information we have on this new way of transportation, I'm asking:

Would you consider a EV or Hybrid vehicle in your future.

I know their coming and but it's the battery's that concerns me and every year
they seem to improve in mileage.

Your Thoughts Please.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

For local driving I think you will be fine.
For long distance driving on a regular basis I would stick to gas. (I am assuming you would need to charge the batteries to complete the trip.)
Old 10-25-2021, 12:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,478 Times in 549 Posts

No, I don’t think so. The battery life, infrastructure and battery safety have to improve significantly before I would consider either one.
Old 10-25-2021, 01:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

It's just not a battery powered ANYTHING over time losses it's capacity by just over charging.

What I'm saying is after 2-4 or 6 years of charging, the power output charge will be diminished.
Unless I don't understand battery's

Last edited by Michael G.; 10-27-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:13 PM

Hybrid yes, all-electric no.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

i like getting gas in and out of the place in 5 minutes when going on a long trip by car.

Until that happens would consider a hybrid but not all electric.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

There is one EV which is less than 10k, new, (after federal tax incentives) in Ocala. The Kandi. Chinese, obviously, range about 60 miles with a top speed of 62. It would serve many Villagers as a primary or secondary vehicle.

Never heard of it? Dealer support is one of the problems...
Old 10-25-2021, 09:06 PM
Gold member

It is obvious that most people responding have no experience with an EV, a PHEV or a hybrid. I have had all 3 and in May bought an EV. I bought a VW ID.4 and I love it. Most people only drive 50 miles or less per day. At the end of the day you simply plug it in in your garage and the next morning it is full of ions and ready to go. Also, you have no oil changes and very little other maintenance since there is no engine.

On trips, you get about 200 - 220 miles on a charge (leaving the batteries about 20% full before recharging). There are many chargers available on the highways these days and that amount will nearly double when Tesla opens their charger network to everybody this coming year. In addition to that many charging networks are expanding very quickly across the country. So, I can drive about 2 and a half hours before stopping for a charge and the charge takes me less than 30 minutes. During that time, we usually go to a restaurant or go shopping or just take a break. We are retired and in no hurry to get someplace. We only take a few long trips a year so this is not a big deal to us. The other 300+ days a year we charge in our garage.

These cars right now are not for people who are on the highway everyday however as battery technology improves and the charging networks grow, they will be. Some of the new Teslas can take full advantage of their new chargers and are in and out in about 15 minutes, other cars will quickly catch up to that standard.

So, the next time you are 5 miles from home and stopping to fill up your car at 3.50 to 4 dollars a gallon, think of me who drove my car around town all day , came home and plugged my car in inside my garage and went to bed and I am paying about a dollar per gallon equivalent in electricity costs.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

The PHEV that piques my interest is the Toyota RAV4 Prime. Just finding one is almost impossible and if you do, I’d hate to know how much over the MSRP the dealer is looking to get.

Made in Japan.
$7,500.00 federal tax credit.
40 mile range on batteries.
540 mile range on gasoline.
You can choose when to use batteries.
302 hp.
0-60 mph in about 6 seconds.
All-wheel-drive.
12 hour charge on 110 volt outlet with standard, onboard charger.
4.5 hour charge on 240 volt outlet with standard, onboard charger.
Larger (quicker), onboard charger available.
All the modern safety stuff is standard.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

I'm assuming my next car will be a hybrid. But I'd love to keep my present car forever.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:56 AM

I do a lot of long distance driving and am on my second hybrid, Prius V. Present car has 135 k, and no battery issues. Gas motor charges battery while I am driving. Cross country road trip 38.5 mpg. Local driving less than 10 miles from home over 50 mpg.

I
Old 10-26-2021, 05:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
It is obvious that most people responding have no experience with an EV, a PHEV or a hybrid. I have had all 3 and in May bought an EV. I bought a VW ID.4 and I love it. Most people only drive 50 miles or less per day. At the end of the day you simply plug it in in your garage and the next morning it is full of ions and ready to go. Also, you have no oil changes and very little other maintenance since there is no engine.

On trips, you get about 200 - 220 miles on a charge (leaving the batteries about 20% full before recharging). There are many chargers available on the highways these days and that amount will nearly double when Tesla opens their charger network to everybody this coming year. In addition to that many charging networks are expanding very quickly across the country. So, I can drive about 2 and a half hours before stopping for a charge and the charge takes me less than 30 minutes. During that time, we usually go to a restaurant or go shopping or just take a break. We are retired and in no hurry to get someplace. We only take a few long trips a year so this is not a big deal to us. The other 300+ days a year we charge in our garage.

These cars right now are not for people who are on the highway everyday however as battery technology improves and the charging networks grow, they will be. Some of the new Teslas can take full advantage of their new chargers and are in and out in about 15 minutes, other cars will quickly catch up to that standard.

So, the next time you are 5 miles from home and stopping to fill up your car at 3.50 to 4 dollars a gallon, think of me who drove my car around town all day , came home and plugged my car in inside my garage and went to bed and I am paying about a dollar per gallon equivalent in electricity costs.
I’ve realized that many on this forum will reply with a matter of fact answer and when you try to explain, they only attack you. Brains aren’t a requirement for TOTV. I had a Lexus hybrid years ago. I loved it. I almost got a Tesla a few years back, but decided to wait on an EV until I’m done traveling for work. I drive cross country to CA and back, with dogs, so the charging time is what stopped me in the end. If I never had to drive out of range or no dogs, I’d love to get an EV. I did just order a lithium golf cart and can’t wait to get rid of this horribly loud smelly gas loaner I have.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I'm assuming my next car will be a hybrid. But I'd love to keep my present car forever.
Depending on your car, they probably make a hybrid version now. you’d get lots of use out of it in a place like the villages too. That’s really where the battery kicks in, is stop and go driving. Vs FWY driving.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:12 AM

I leased a BMW i3 for 3 years. Pain in the A## is all I can say. Battery life is at best 65% of what they tell you it will be. Charging takes too long. Range is too short. You would need to shell out major money to buy an extended range Tesla to avoid these issues. You need to wait unit they have affordable options with over 400 miles range on a charge.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
From the information we have on this new way of transportation, I'm asking:

Would you consider a EV or Hybrid vehicle in your future.

I know their coming and but it's the battery's that concerns me and every year
they seem to improve in mileage.

Your Thoughts Please.
NO! ICE until I croak or gas goes to $7 a gallon which may be next year
Closed Thread

Tags
concerns, coming, vehicles, batterys, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.