Emergency Generator Advice

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2022, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts
Default Emergency Generator Advice

I'm looking to buy an inverter generator for emergency power-out use at home. It would be used to power just a few essentials: upright freezer, modem, a light or two, maybe a fan. Not wanting to park a behemoth in the garage as well as not wanting to irritate the neighbors with some loud, exhaust-belching something-or-other that produces far more power than I need, I'm looking not to go overboard on this.

The unit I'm looking at is a compact model Westinghouse rated for 2,500 peak watts and 2,200 running watts.

Would that be sufficient to power what I've mentioned?
Old 07-09-2022, 08:31 AM

You can Google power use of appliances, etc. Generac has a spread sheet that pretty much shows everything in the house that uses electricity, surge and run ratings for each
Old 07-09-2022, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

The generator you describe is roughly equivalent to a 20A circuit in your house which is what your refrigerator/freezer is plugged into. By just those numbers, it ought to do what you want.

I haven't tried it myself (don't have a 2,200W generator) so I can't say for sure that it will work.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-09-2022, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I'm looking to buy an inverter generator for emergency power-out use at home. It would be used to power just a few essentials: upright freezer, modem, a light or two, maybe a fan. Not wanting to park a behemoth in the garage as well as not wanting to irritate the neighbors with some loud, exhaust-belching something-or-other that produces far more power than I need, I'm looking not to go overboard on this.

The unit I'm looking at is a compact model Westinghouse rated for 2,500 peak watts and 2,200 running watts.

You will need to look at the refrigerator or freezer for the wattage, the modem and light (LED?) as well as the fan combined will probably be well below 200 watts. IMHO, yes this will work. You will need to plan ahead for suitable extension cords and a way to get from outside (where the generator will be located) through the garage doors and into the house.

Any relation to seven of nine?
Old 07-09-2022, 01:28 PM

Without a/c in Florida you will leave the home within a few days.
Old 07-09-2022, 01:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepsake View Post
Without a/c in Florida you will leave the home within a few days.
Air conditioning was not invented until 1902 but the population of Florida 40 years earlier in 1860 was over 140,000. Without the ToTV forum, no one told them it was unlivable here.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-09-2022, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Air conditioning was not invented until 1902 but the population of Florida 40 years earlier in 1860 was over 140,000. Without the ToTV forum, no one told them it was unlivable here.
I remember, in 1956, my dad bought a window unit air conditioner and plugged it in. Within 10 minutes, the fuse blew out, and that was the end of our AC. But, that was in Baltimore.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I remember, in 1956, my dad bought a window unit air conditioner and plugged it in. Within 10 minutes, the fuse blew out, and that was the end of our AC. But, that was in Baltimore.
And as you know, the weather isn't that much different between here and Baltimore. The thermometer reads a little higher here but the humidity is worse there. In both cases I am thankful that we now have A/C.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-09-2022, 07:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Yes, it will work. I operated a home using a very similar electric load for six days using a similar generator.

In addition, if you have a tankless gas operated water heater you will have a nice hot shower +. So picture this:
Cold food (fridge)
Hot food++
Entertainment (TV/internet)+++
Fan
Small ac++++

Again, I did this. While not ideal I lived very well among the 158,000 impacted by this outage.

Notes for nonbelievers:

+Water is supplied for days after power outage by water towers and they have diesel backup. The electronics for the tankless draw less than 50 watts, it is operated on 120 volts

++Hot food comes from your grill

+++Surprisingly, the internet providers also use diesel backup

++++Yes, you can get small ac units that draw under 15 amps

I also recommend having a dozen MRIs on hand. Nothing beats a hot meal (MREs come with food heaters) when the outage first strikes. I have had them in the field, honestly they beat the food that I was served in Bagram, Afghanistan DFAC (chow hall) during the drawdown in 2020.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:

Blue (Yamaha) or Red (Honda) inverter generators are the best. They are very quiet, lightweight, and sip gas. Below is a picture of our Yamaha. It’s about 15 years old, seen some heavy use, still starts up on the first pull, and runs like it’s brand new.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	8C55D712-1637-477B-A4EF-7A134ED2B17D.jpg
Views:	1132
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	94420  
Old 07-10-2022, 03:47 AM

Quote:

I had the same idea and purchased a dual fuel Westinghouse inverter generator. I suggest when you receive the generator you run a test powering what you need and keep the extension cords as "dedicated". And remember you will have to start the generator, maybe once every 6 months. I did just that, works great.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:35 AM
Veteran member

I have lived here in TV for almost 14 years and have never lost electric, even during the hurricane a few years ago. We didn't even lose cable.
Don't waste your money on a generator.

"I have never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong".
Old 07-10-2022, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Thx for the input from everyone. Helps.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:28 AM

Spend a little more and buy the Honda, easy to start and very reliable. I think you will be disappointing with the Westinghouse.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
I have lived here in TV for almost 14 years and have never lost electric, even during the hurricane a few years ago. We didn't even lose cable.
Don't waste your money on a generator.

"I have never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong".
If you have medical needs, a backup generator is a wise idea. It doesn't have to power your house.
Closed Thread

Tags
power, emergency, wanting, watts, generator

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.