Employment in or near the Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2022, 12:41 PM
Veteran member

Depending on your field of expertise, search on indeed.com and enter "remote" in the Location field. There are some remote workers here and a remote position will likely pay more.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:44 PM

Thank you
Old 09-13-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
depends on the kind of work you are looking for. the health field is wide open now, & with a degree you'd be able to earn more. shops & restaurants are always looking. idk if it would pay close to your Govt. job, but it is work in a place with very easy living. just entering the Villages will reduce your stress by 10fold. despite the naysayers, it IS the friendliest place, -99% of us are so happy to even be here. we welcome you!!!
Thanks for the kind reply. Much appreciated.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, you will also need to consider if you are willing to travel, Ocala, Leesburg, etc. You can check the local newspapers on line for help wanted. If you are a handyman, there always seems to be a need for them.
Thank you. Definitely open to traveling form the right situation.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
I don't know what you think a "livable wage" but unless you have some kind of special skill (CPA, Doctor, Lawyer etc) you will only make between 10 and 14 dollars per hour here for the majority of jobs. And, that is higher than a few years ago when it was between 8 and 10 dollars per hour.
Thanks. $10-$14 per hour won't cut it. :-)
Old 09-13-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarAirlines View Post
I'm in the Govt too, so my first question is it Govt work or just your job? Its an important distinction because if its just your job there are tons of remote jobs out there. I was in the DC rat race and switched my position to remote and moved to TV. I took a hit on the locality part of my pay, but my quality of life and stress is way low. I still have ~5 years until retirement, but I honestly may go for 7 years since its working out so well.

I looked into jobs around TV and its pretty depressing. As an example, a cybersecurity engineer TV had an opening for was paying $46-$49k where here in DC the pay would be $130k. Even jobs such as a security guard seem to make $6-$8 less an hour than around TV. I can't honestly say if its the location or what, but the pay gets better down near Tampa.

If your a Fed and want some pointers feel free to DM me and I can point you in the right direction (sorry-don't know anything about state jobs). I don't think I would move to TV unless you had a good paying job as there is none here. You can always find a job, but you'll be working long hours just to scrape by. In my opinion, thats not the kind of life you want.
Nice wall street reference. :-) I'm a Federal Civilian (Civil Servant) up in the DC/NOVA area. I'm going to DM you. Thanks so much.
Old 09-14-2022, 04:36 AM

There are a lot of opportunities but that’s hard to answer since we don’t know anything about you. As like anywhere the service industry is beginning for workers. The Villages itself is always looking for part timers in the Parks and Recreation and Entertainment areas. Property management is always looking for full timers as electricians, plumbers and carpenters, even office work if you have that background. I hope that helps.
Old 09-14-2022, 04:49 AM

You must bring all the money you need with you. Jobs here pay nothing and are not livable wages. Especially, if you need to make payments on a home in The Villages.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lansky View Post
Thank you for your reply. I would be interested in full time income. I wouldn't be expecting anywhere near my current income, but would need a "livable wage" until I'm ready to retire (I'm 53, probably retire at 60 or 62).
Then wait elsewhere Working in FL is not the best..
Old 09-14-2022, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I would be interested in full time income. I wouldn't be expecting anywhere near my current income, but would need a "livable wage" until I'm ready to retire (I'm 53, probably retire at 60 or 62).
Don't count on that in Florida, the pay is horrible. I am surprised anyone works in this state.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:17 AM

Check out Assisted Living facilities...they are always looking for security and drivers... those two jobs pay more than others. And there are plenty of Assisted living facilities here. Of course the security over night shift pays more.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:28 AM

Yes, come on down and relax. You will find work.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Hi All,

I'm seriously considering moving to the Villages. My career in Government has become too stressful, and i've come to the realization that it's just not worth the risk to my health. Time to make a change. I've been checking out the Villages from a far for years. I still need to work, so im wondering, generally speaking, how is the job market in and around the Villages? Are there many opportunities (other than construction)?

Thanks in advance!
Go to Indeed.com to see many job opportunities near The Villages.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,953 Times in 939 Posts

you can live here and commute to a real job in the real world, from Deluna/March bend, there is nearly a straight shot to Orlando, and with some WFH hours, assuming you have that job and skill set, you can do pretty well

W2 guy
Old 09-14-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Hi All,

I'm seriously considering moving to the Villages. My career in Government has become too stressful, and i've come to the realization that it's just not worth the risk to my health. Time to make a change. I've been checking out the Villages from a far for years. I still need to work, so im wondering, generally speaking, how is the job market in and around the Villages? Are there many opportunities (other than construction)?

Thanks in advance!
No - to answer your question- thanks for asking.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, work, speaking, generally, wondering

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.