Employment in The Villages

Old 01-28-2024, 12:55 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I would not continue to seek work from an outfit that did not want me nor would I pursue an answer as to why not.

Over the years in various capacities I interviewed many job seekers. Those turned down never got a "why". Nor did I when I was turned down. It boils down to not being a good fit for one or more reasons. Companies have cultures and seek job candidates who they believe will be a good fit.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-28-2024, 03:30 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffk1023 View Post
I wanted to see if anybody has had the same experience with the Villages human resources department that I have had. I have been trying to get a job through them for the past six months, applying for positions that I am well qualified for. They say that they are not going to move forward with my application, and when I ask them why, the only answer they give me is, I am not a good fit. When I press them further, and ask them what they meant by that, all they told me was that it’s not doing my case any good to keep on calling and harassing them if I ever wanted to be employed by The Villages in the future. I’m not calling to harass them. they at least owe me an explanation as to why I can’t be employed by The Villages.
More likely one or more of your references may not have helped or background check or social media posts.

Last edited by Keefelane66; 01-28-2024 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
More likely one or more of your references may not have helped or background check or social media posts.
Sometimes it is something simple like the amount of hours you are seeking or your availability. Businesses do not work around an employee's preferences. They also will not hire full time when part timers suit their needs.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
I wanted to see if anybody has had the same experience with the Villages human resources department that I have had. I have been trying to get a job through them for the past six months, applying for positions that I am well qualified for. They say that they are not going to move forward with my application, and when I ask them why, the only answer they give me is, I am not a good fit. When I press them further, and ask them what they meant by that, all they told me was that it’s not doing my case any good to keep on calling and harassing them if I ever wanted to be employed by The Villages in the future. I’m not calling to harass them. they at least owe me an explanation as to why I can’t be employed by The Villages.
The Villages does not owe you an explanation. Look for something outside the Villages, if you don’t get something there, you have an issue.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I'm not sure any applicant is owed an explanation that goes into any more detail than that. It all depends on what is being applied for.

What the OP MIGHT want to do is to take the bull by the horns, so to speak, and apply in person at places that need help. Very few businesses in and around TV are NOT looking for workers. The Villages HR Dept. supplies (I assume) workers only for positions that are directly related to TV--gate guards, Community Watch and the like. But (again, assuming) there are vastly more opportunities in and around TV than there are positions working FOR TV.
All applications are done online thru the District or the Villages. You’re wasting peoples time to show up at a business with the Villages or the District to inquire about a job.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:

Perhaps reading the original post again, will shed some light on why the fit isn't right?

Folks who read resumes for a living, usually develop a knack for reading between the lines.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
They can tell a lot in your credit report. Poor score=unreliable.
Unfortunate, if this is the case. You can have bad credit because you have not used credit for many years. I would think there are many elderly folks who have paid off their loans long ago. They have enough cash and do not need to buy on credit.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:21 PM

Does anyone know where to get a current resident phone book?

Also, regarding job applications, when did it become legal to ask your birthdate???
Old 01-28-2024, 09:42 PM

The bottom line is you don’t need to work there if they don’t want you. Apply at some other places, it probably won’t be long before you have a job.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:41 AM
Veteran member

Well, interesting thread. Jeff, sorry you are getting some hostile responses and a lot of assumptions made.

People are correct that sometimes the easiest answer for a hiring manager is that you aren't a good fit. When I reject someone I try to explain a bit more, such as, "We've had many applicants and unfortunately you weren't chosen because we were looking for someone with more experience...a different degree...with experience in such and such."

When I say someone is not a good fit, it often is a personality trait. That doesn't mean they have a bad personality. It just means that based on the team dynamic I would expect a clash with other employees.

You mentioned trolley driver and caretaker. Is the caretaker a job in a rec center? Anyhow, seems these jobs rely heavily on a bright and happy personality with the public. You know, the type that is overly happy and non-confrontational. That may or may not be you, but how you portray yourself in an interview is important and the best advice I can give is tailor your resume and your interviewing style to the job. Also watch YouTube videos on interviewing. I learned a lot from the vids and they helped me land a much higher paying job within my company, a job I had been rejected for a few times.

Sometimes you gotta just play the game until your foot is in the door. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:53 AM

I had this experience. You got a rejection email (I never did - I was in a perpetual limbo). I have 40 years of customer service experience. My advise is change your resume. When they ask about salary say $13. This cancels a lot of people and if it pays $15 you get that anyway.

Garden City, Long Island, NY
West Islip, Long Island, NY
Village of Citrus Grove (2021)
Village of Newell (2023)
Old 01-29-2024, 06:13 AM

As many have already said, an employer does not need to give you an explanation of not hiring you.
And people cannot pull a credit report on somebody just to see your credit unless you’ve signed off on that. But I’ve never known anybody to run a credit report for a basic job.
I do believe they probably looked you up on social media. What kind of person do you look like on social media or maybe even a criminal history. Bottom line who cares move on go get a different job. there’s lots of people hiring. Obviously you’re taking this very personal, it’s just a job. Move on
Old 01-29-2024, 06:29 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
They owe you no explanation. Obviously there is something in your background which is raising red flags and they don’t want to employ you. There’s plenty of other jobs so why harrass them for an explanation you won’t like anyway. Move on.
Old 01-29-2024, 06:33 AM

They owe you NO explanation.
Old 01-29-2024, 06:34 AM

You will only get a vague answer like you did. If they give anyone the true answer why they rejected anyone, they would have a law suit on their hands. That the way it is these days!

Tags
villages, wanted, calling, good, employed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.