Employment in The Villages

Old 01-29-2024, 06:38 AM
Veteran member

Short answer, they don’t owe you any explanation.
Old 01-29-2024, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvshworles View Post
Does anyone know where to get a current resident phone book?

Also, regarding job applications, when did it become legal to ask your birthdate???
The Trolley Driver job requires a CDL. You must be at least years old to obtain one. Hence the asking for a date of birth/age.
Old 01-29-2024, 06:59 AM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

You might not be a good fit...
The Villages Florida

Last edited by dhdallas; 01-29-2024 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Add a title
Old 01-29-2024, 06:59 AM

In the age of lawyers and lawsuits, any employer would be crazy to offer any explanation for not extending an offer. An innocent slip of the tongue is all a lawyer needs to begin talking damages.
Old 01-29-2024, 07:03 AM
Veteran member

I worked for The Villages for 18 months. My last day was last Thursday.

I applied for three different jobs, two IT related, one just a rec assistant. I got to the Rec Assistant

You have to be absolutely squeaky clean to work for TV. No drug issues, no criminal record, no credit issues. They will call all your references. They even called the company I last worked for in September 1999.

The reason I didn't get the IT jobs? Salary requirement. I guess I messed that one up, I told them what I used to make, I figured half of that would have been low enough. I should have gone with a 1/3rd. "The salary requirement can cause issues" to which I responded, "make me an offer", I should have said "offer me anything" lol.

Ah well, I started my home inspection business and did the continuing education during the slack time as a Rec assistant, so I got paid to continue my education. That's the reason I quit, I am doing so much Inspection and handyman work, I don't have the time to waste at Lake Miona for $13.36
Old 01-29-2024, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
In any company or business to walk into high level positions you have to be related or referred under the table. Otherwise you have to start at bottom and be proven loyal yes person if you want a do nothing job.
Absolutely not true. Nobody “walks in” in to a senior position- their experience and qualifications are reviewed, then they are interviewed (several times) and an offer may come. You start at the bottom if you have no prior experience
Old 01-29-2024, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffk1023 View Post
I wanted to see if anybody has had the same experience with the Villages human resources department that I have had. I have been trying to get a job through them for the past six months, applying for positions that I am well qualified for. They say that they are not going to move forward with my application, and when I ask them why, the only answer they give me is, I am not a good fit. When I press them further, and ask them what they meant by that, all they told me was that it’s not doing my case any good to keep on calling and harassing them if I ever wanted to be employed by The Villages in the future. I’m not calling to harass them. they at least owe me an explanation as to why I can’t be employed by The Villages.
Lots of people telling you with all due respect to move on they owe you nothing. Well hold up. There could be some reasons they aren't hiring you besides qualifications, oh and NOW alleged potential future threat of harrassment for continuing to ask..

Hmmmm, if you work for T V and have children your kids get to go to a Villages Charter School right?? State subsidies are paid to to the Wizzard of Oz developers for Charter Schools.

Do they have houses to fill in the under 55 district of Middleton (soon to be a second under 55 called Coleman something) and desks to fill in the new charter schools?

AGE, marital status, address are clues for HR as to applicants wanting to work in TV but perhaps not hired. It is NOT an imposibility to consider when motive might exist for a potentially very selective process of hiring in T V now that the "dream" is not only about retirees wanting to subsidize their income (don't forget about healthcare costs and the elderly, oops, who said that?)

How about race ethnicity questions on the application? Any of those ???'s on there?? Aren't we supposed to be inclusive, equal and diverse? Oh are those not possible Village job application denial thoughts to wonder about? Or are those just virtuous ideologies we have to chew on everyday thanks to msm whims?

Why doesn't OP have the right to wonder or even ask HR? Right, they don't have to answer.

Basic... of course T V is very aware of lawsuit liability for saying TOO much. The threat of being a harraser... hmmm no microagression there now is there??

Simple things like you need a "cdl for this job" - of course they could say that as it would be on the job listing unless the hr department isn't brainy enough to list that.

No answer and threats of accusations of harassment could mean there is more to say but they can't say it.

No, it's none of O P's business to wonder ?? BUT the Federal Gov cares about job discrimination and numbers doesn't it?

Who polices discrimination in T V hiring practices? Once upon a time T V probably hired old people living here probably before young people I bet. Could it be that it is not what you know (or can do) but WHO you know in TV that lands you a job in T V?

All great ??'s and what happened to "there are no dumb questions" in life.

Good luck OP I hope you find the perfect job.

Last edited by GizmoWhiskers; 01-29-2024 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-29-2024, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Why do they owe you an "explanation"?

You want a job, they don't want to give you one. End of story.
Exactly!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2024, 07:45 AM
Veteran member

they do check past work experience. Could be a past employer gave you a bad recommendation. Only you know if this is true. Drug testing is a BIG deal here in Florida. Think about it.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:00 AM
Default Not a good fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffk1023 View Post
I wanted to see if anybody has had the same experience with the Villages human resources department that I have had. I have been trying to get a job through them for the past six months, applying for positions that I am well qualified for. They say that they are not going to move forward with my application, and when I ask them why, the only answer they give me is, I am not a good fit. When I press them further, and ask them what they meant by that, all they told me was that it’s not doing my case any good to keep on calling and harassing them if I ever wanted to be employed by The Villages in the future. I’m not calling to harass them. they at least owe me an explanation as to why I can’t be employed by The Villages.
Two suggestions. First have a friend review your application/resume with a critical eye. Some common errors are listing job history going back to many years. Employers don’t care what you did in 1990, what have you done recently. If you haven’t worked recently offer a good reason. Such as “ retired from successful career, but miss being part of a team”.
Also Team statements. If I saw an applicant with “I” to many times I wondered how they would fit in a team. My impression is the Villages is looking for good team players who not only work well with the public but also with all other employees.
Finally as stated you received all the explanation you’re entitled to. The worst thing you can do is trying to reach out for further explanation. They have invested in an online application system for a reason.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:01 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Posting your story here is not going to change anything. I suspect the OP already knows the answer to his "question." He would certainly know more than anyone responding on this forum.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
They can tell a lot in your credit report. Poor score=unreliable.
they can't run a credit report
Old 01-29-2024, 08:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
The Trolley Driver job requires a CDL. You must be at least years old to obtain one. Hence the asking for a date of birth/age.
they should be asking if the applicatant has a valid CDL not birthdate
Old 01-29-2024, 08:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
they can't run a credit report
Companies typically don't run credit reports until they've made a hiring decision, in which case, may will run a report.

I *suspect* The Villages online Job Application system, has a "Terms & Conditions acknowledgement", which likely includes permission to run a credit report.

I don't know that for a fact, as I've never applied for a job. But knowing how efficient TV is at this stuff, I'd be surprised if you don't give them the right to run a credit report, when you click "submit".
Old 01-29-2024, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
I worked for The Villages for 18 months. My last day was last Thursday.

I applied for three different jobs, two IT related, one just a rec assistant. I got to the Rec Assistant

You have to be absolutely squeaky clean to work for TV. No drug issues, no criminal record, no credit issues. They will call all your references. They even called the company I last worked for in September 1999.

The reason I didn't get the IT jobs? Salary requirement. I guess I messed that one up, I told them what I used to make, I figured half of that would have been low enough. I should have gone with a 1/3rd. "The salary requirement can cause issues" to which I responded, "make me an offer", I should have said "offer me anything" lol.

Ah well, I started my home inspection business and did the continuing education during the slack time as a Rec assistant, so I got paid to continue my education. That's the reason I quit, I am doing so much Inspection and handyman work, I don't have the time to waste at Lake Miona for $13.36
LOL Squeaky clean for $13.36.

Maybe TV has adopted DEI and you’re not the right *cough* fit.

Tags
villages, wanted, calling, good, employed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.