Trapping lizards

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2014, 01:40 PM
Veteran member
Default Trapping lizards

I have several Anoles (little geco-like lizards) living in my garage. They are smart enough to get in there but too dumb to find their way back out.

Does anybody know how to trap them for release? I don't want to harm them. They hide in dark places and under things, so snatching them up is impossible.

Yes, they eat bugs. But they also poop, and I paid a lot of money to have my garage floor finished.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:51 PM
Gold member

I had one in the garage for about 5 weeks. Was going to start feeding him.
One day I had left a can with yard waste in there, and saw him in it.
Put the can outside for awhile and he escaped.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
I have several Anoles (little geco-like lizards) living in my garage. They are smart enough to get in there but too dumb to find their way back out.

Does anybody know how to trap them for release? I don't want to harm them. They hide in dark places and under things, so snatching them up is impossible.

Yes, they eat bugs. But they also poop, and I paid a lot of money to have my garage floor finished.

Try to get them out of hiding with a broom, then get them into a corner with no where to hide. Put a plastic bag over one hand and grab them and carry them outside. They are not that difficult to catch, but there are no traps you can use that wouldn't kill them.

I caught one little baby that was trapped on my lanai yesterday using this method. They will squiggle and try to get away, but they will be glad to get outdoors and back with their family.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:02 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Can you find where they are getting in? We have garage screens we keep closed when our garage is open.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Platinum member
Talking Co-habitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post

I don't think they are too dumb to find their way out. They have simply found a nice shelter and source of food, and are comfortable.

I doubt that you will ever have an Anole-free garage. Any time the garage door is opened is an opportunity for them to scamper in and hide. I don't know of any practical method of trapping them without harming them.

At my house in Tampa they even get into my tightly screened pool deck where the doors to the outside are seldom opened. I have learned to admire their tenacity and to co-habitate amiably.

Since they do not bite, harm furniture, carry disease or taste good (as far as I know,) I would not consider killing them.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:20 PM

Try this.

It's a kids butterfly net I picked up at Dollar Store.

I've been catching everything with it! Fairly strong too.

[img=http://s5d3.turboimagehost.com/t/18871862_net.jpg]The Villages Florida
Old 05-26-2014, 02:27 PM

Maybe I should add too that the geckos had been getting into the lanai until I noticed that they could push under the sweep at the bottom of the door leading out to the garden.

They do this often hiding from the black birds.

I finally had to screw on 1/4" clear rubber tubing to fill the gap behind the sweep. Now we are gecko free..at least in the lanai.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:15 PM

Carl in Tampa, I disagree...one latched on to my finger when I caught him in our lanai and stayed attached until I got him/her outside! No teeth, no damage! lol!
Old 05-26-2014, 05:17 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn1tv View Post
Carl in Tampa, I disagree...one latched on to my finger when I caught him in our lanai and stayed attached until I got him/her outside! No teeth, no damage! lol!
So he or she was not happy. I've handled a few and never been bit.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:20 PM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn1tv View Post
I meant no harm from the bite. When my kids were younger and had friends over to the house, the kids would often catch them and induce them to bite the kids ear lobes --- wearing them like ear rings.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Eternal Member

I throw a dish towel over them and then carefully ball it up and take it outside and open it up and out they go.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Gold member

I also use a butterfly net which I bought at Market of Marion.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I think rn1tv's post was lighthearted.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:18 PM

I recently learned that these lizards/geckos are poisonous to cats (I don't know if this is true for dogs). I just know that my friends' cat got very sick twice, after eating them. They had to take it to the emergency vet. So hoping this doesn't happen to anyone else.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I throw a dish towel over them and then carefully ball it up and take it outside and open it up and out they go.
That's exactly the method I use.
As a matter of fact, I think I learned it from a post by zcaveman a few years back!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.