This "entitled" golfer just infuriated me, and should infuriate everyone else as well

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2018, 05:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I can think of a number of reasons...why that would/could have been a dumb thing to do.

Especially since the person wasn't on his (or his neighbors) property.

GE could have called Community Watch though...and maybe they could have caught the jerk.
What is the numbers of reasons? NO ONE, except meters readers and people that I invite are allowed on my “castles” property.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
What is the numbers of reasons? NO ONE, except meters readers and people that I invite are allowed on my “castles” property.
You really need to read my post...a little slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore
Especially since the person wasn't on his (or his neighbors) property.
So your reference to the 'Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground' law...is completely moot.

However, your mistake actually gives credence...as to one of the reasons.

If GE had left his property and went out on the course to confront the jerk, the jerk very easily could have pulled a weapon on him...claiming that he felt a 'perceived threat.'

So thanks for proving my point.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:01 AM
Sage

the fight you will always win, is the one you avoid/ per-my ccw insurer
Old 06-18-2018, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

well this certainly is another fine example of why there are more 'horses asses' than there are horses
Old 06-18-2018, 07:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Many Villagers have played all of their lives and many are just now beginning to play. For me, I have played golf for 47 years and paid much more for it than here.

I think the biggest "draw" here is the beautifully maintained "feel" to this very large place. I sometimes think as I drive along in the golf cart that the Astors and The Vanderbilts and the Rockefellers didn't live as well.

We have not acres, but miles of flowers and trimmed bushes and green lawns and whimsical squares and people who have lived long enough to appreciate the joy of leisure and the opportunities to explore and enjoy what they didn't have time for before. I have NEVER once run into anyone who in answer to the question, "What made you choose The Villages?" said
THE FREE STUFF.

We are mostly hard working, law abiding people who have good taste and have carefully planned and diligently saved and sacrificed to live well in these later years. WE ARE NOT POOR in spirit or in character or in fact. We are careful and independent and fiercly proud and one of our collective horrors would to be to accept "free stuff" as a matter of daily living.
Again.....what she said. Well said my friend.

Last edited by Blessed2BNTV; 06-18-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfrgolf View Post
Why didn't you confront the idiot?
Personally I think it would of gotten into a bad scene. Today's world a lot of people would of just given you the 1 finger salute, or just gotten into an argument with you. The best thing this person could of done is called the Villages front office & let them handle it. Taking the law into your own hands wouldn't of been a good idea unless you were 6' 6" weighed 300 lbs. & had a pit bull temper. I'm really surprised that nobody that worked for TV saw this retard!
Old 06-18-2018, 09:00 AM

I would have just picked up the ball and added it to my collection.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
When we visited some friends in TV, my husband was taken out to their "free" executive golf course to play golf. He was surprised to see that it was only par 3 and was completely unchallenging. The grass was in poor condition. I guess he was spoiled after having played golf in Pebble Beach, CA. But these "free" courses are great for those wanting or needing to practice everyday before attempting the championship courses.
Yes, you generally get what you pay for. In fairness, all of the golf courses really vary as far as the condition, generally according to time of year. There is a separate section on TOTV where you can see the comments on golf course conditions. Those residents who have played a lot of golf over the years, tend not to be impressed by conditions in The Villages. One of the problems is that courses are maintained by outside maintenance companies as opposed to our courses up north where there were individual greenskeepers and their staff that took personal pride in their course. Some maintenance companies are better that others, but once the The Villages has hired a company, I think they have a contract to honor for a particular amount of time, and things can go downhill in a hurry, then take a long time to bring back up to speed if a replacement maintenance company is hired.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
Oh the stories I could tell while living on the course. Guys playing in the dark with their headlights pointed to the green. Golfers driving all over my yard looking for a ball. Another guy telling me to f... o.. when I told him to stop beating my shrubs while he was looking for his ball. (Unfortunately I went after him, but the coward drove away). I was able to id him and found out he actually worked on one of the courses. No more. Daily Sun published the golf etiquette rules on Feb. 4, 2013. They need to be published again. Never play or retrieve a ball from the yard of a resident. Report any damage of private property. Playing is strictly prohibited beyond the property line of a resident, even if not designated by white stakes.
90% of our golfers are great and respectful and I am more than happy to let them get their ball (unless it's a ProV1) The trees have finally grown so I get very few balls any more. Love the view! ps last time I played Evans Prairie, I had to call up and tell them the fairways were so wet they should ban carts. We were sinking. Where is the course superintendent?
On the rare occasion I play golf I never look for ball I hit out of boundaries. For one I'm too embarrassed and two Only a cheap X$$ DS looks for balls holding up play.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't recall anyone being rude to me when we lived on a golf course. If you choose to live on a course you will see from time to time some annoying things and people will tromp through your yard. But that is true of anywhere. Some folks are nicer and more patient than others no matter where you live.
I am sorry Gracie girl the rules are for everyone just not the ones that want to follow them.
Some folks are in a very bad way to the proximate of the tee box and get a lot of balls a day that are being retrieved by rude golfers.
I am glad you had a positive experience.
However not everyone is as luck as you.
Stay Well.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:31 PM
Default Tromping

No Gracie, I don’t like golfers (strangers) tromping thru my yard especially at dusk. Nor do I like my bushes beat by golfers. Rules are rules Gracie and we expect others to abide by them. My tolerance for trespassers is apparently not as high as yours. I live in Marion county part of The Villages where there is not a sign restriction -size or content. . My neighbor and I are considering “posting” our properties. May help if a golfer slips on my
wet grass as far as liability. I don’t like finding people in the front yard looking for a ball when the golf course is in the back.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:37 PM

We were playing Mira Mesa yesterday and at the 7th hole discovered two children in a battery-powered “car” riding all over the green. No adults in sight — kids were oblivious. Finally a woman cane out and said “sorry, my husband thought the course was closed”! Seriously ?!? How can you live on a GC and not know it’s never ok to drive ANYTHING on the green? Can you imagine if one of our drives had hit one of the kids? Aye yi yi
Old 06-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Wondering how many people never played golf before moving to TV--"free" anything attracts the wannabe's
Why do you wonder that?
Old 06-18-2018, 06:59 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
a new reason all golf carts should have some kind of ID, be it a tag or decal
So let’s ounish everyone for the actions of someone we do not know?
Old 06-18-2018, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
So here we are, 7:50, after some heavy rain. Egret had been closed all day for maintenance, the pins were laid alongside the green and the tee markers were not set out. Lo and behold, along comes a single playing down 6, skips 7, then plays 8. IF the course was even open, it most likely would be cart path only, but this guy just drives his cart down the middle of the fairway, sloshing along all the way. Didn't bother to fill his divot, drove right up to the green between the putting surface and a bunker, and then skidded down the hill. God only knows how much damage he did to the course, as well as where he got his entitled attitude. Geez.
This does indeed infuriate me. Although it won't happen, in my opinion this person should be banned from playing all Villages golf courses for a year. If the same person is caught doing this again, they should be banned for life.

Oh well, if there is a silver lining to this storm cloud it is that it can't be blamed on snowbirds, although I suspect it would have been had the incident occurred during the busy season.
Closed Thread

Tags
entitled, green, cart, fairway, sloshing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.