Entitled walkers on paths

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
Can someone explain why people walk in the street when a sidewalk is available?
If you ever figure that one out, let us all know.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
If you ever figure that one out, let us all know.

Asphalt easier on the joints than concrete ?
Old 02-05-2017, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Asphalt easier on the joints than concrete ?
I find that neither is easier on my repaired knees.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
That may be true, but in my humble opinion, you're taking your life in your hands if you're walking on those paths.

You have elderly people driving 600-800 pound vehicles at 20-25 mph on the paths. Some of them are driving golf carts because their driver's licenses have been taken away. I know of some that are legally blind and can't drive a car so they drive a golf cart.

Many of the paths are barely wide enough for two carts to pass side by side. Om many areas there are blind corners and walkers are not seen until it's very late. And then as the OP has pointed out if it comes down to crashing head first into another golf cart or taking out a pedestrian, what would your choice be. Also many walkers (not all) have this sort of arrogance about how they have as much right as a golf cart so they stand on the path in defiance of the carts. Again, it may be true, they do have the same rights and if it makes the feel better, "I Was Right" can always be written on their tombstone.

I think that The Villages is also at fault and could possibly be liable for someone getting severely injured on one of these paths. They should call them golf cart paths and ban walking on them or at least state that walkers and runners do so at their own risk.

Calling them multi modal paths encourages people to walk and run on them and endangers the lives and safety of the general public.
The fact is they ARE MULTI MODAL PATHS so the golf cart drivers are the users who need to be the most cautious since their carts could be deadly to the others who have just as much of a right to use them.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:30 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I have read the 34 previous posts and everything that has been said has been repeated several times over on these pages.

And each time I have mentioned that the cause of all this commotion is that The Villages error was in creating MMP's in the first place.

It does not take much forethought to recognize the danger being created by placing carts, bikes, pedestrian, etc on the same paths.

So the obvious outcome has been cited on the previous comments on 34 posts.

The motor vehicle laws establish attempt to balance the law for the protection of us all by creating certain rights and responsibilities. the problem of course is the human experience.

Recognizing this I travel with my eyes wide open. When I see pedestrians on either side of the path I slow because I do not want to startle them and I am aware that there are a majority of golf cart drivers that do not understand that the rules of the road require them to stop if an obstruction (people , parked car) is in their path. they simply attempt to veer around pedestrians to the middle of the path. Knowing this I slow or stop.

and I have written on these pages in the past that some walkers dress as if they are commandos

What I have learned is that the MMP were not well thought out and so my responsibility is to be well... very alert and careful of others.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 02-06-2017, 07:01 AM

I have not seen a cart driver mention going off the path in any comments and you know that is a possibility if it is a situation where there is a bad judgement call. To have someone wave you out of the way or to go by is this seriously something to be concerned about? But I have seen comments stating the walker or biker should. First you should take into consideration people are not sure footed on the curves in the landscape or in the grass as far as that goes. The walker and biker takes the chance of falling because of the fast difference in surface and judgement. As many have stated when there are two carts one in each direction, I do not see the problem with waiting until the other passes in order to be CAUTIOUS AND CONSIDERATE. Some like myself go out of our way to NOT deal with this cry baby situation and not put my life in harms way. I ride at 5:00 am when I do not have to deal with anyone on the path. I do worry about the cars and if I fall there is no one out there to give me any attention. This sounds pretty petty to me and there are so many more important things to be upset over. I think it is wonderful to see people of all types using the paths, including the people walking their fur babies. All in all it is your blood pressure that will rise if this stuff offends you, so let it go and have a great day.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:14 AM

Why can't we all just get along? Yep, some folks are selfish and rude. They may even act entitled. Try giving them the grace and mercy they don't deserve. You'll still be pleasant when the sun sets. Don't let the discourteous drag you into their world.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default OhioBuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
I have no problem with bikes and walkers on the paths (I was going to call them golf car paths but I can be fair).

My problem is this...

There are some turns and hidden areas that a walker may come up on a golf cart. I really do not notice this with bikes.

What gets me is instead of moving out of the way in tight situations, that they stand their ground and wave the cart away from them (and maybe into another cart).

Its like a Jedi mind trick.

Now the problem...

Walkers are not protected and they have to take their safety seriously. If it was me, and it was crashing into a walker or crossing into traffic and hitting multiple people, well, I am sorry.

Moral of the story is: Do not trust the skills of the driver. If you are a walker, protect yourself FIRST. Yell all you want but don't get hit by a cart. Their insurance may take a hit, but you will also take a hit and could be injured really badly. It isn't worth it.

Okay, I am done. Don't hate too much, I see to draw hate for some reason. Maybe its my views. Be gentle.
You're right, walkers beware! On Tue. Jan. 24th I was walking past Bradenton Rec. center & when I started to cross drive that leads into the Rec. center I was about half way across the drive & I notice a car turning into the parking lot out the corner of my eye. Some elderly lady turned in & when I look up just as the car was about 5 or 6 ft. from me I noticed she wasn't even looking straight ahead, she was gawking at the building or was concentrating on a parking place. Seriously I had to jump backward & her car ran over the tips of my shoes & this lady never batted an eye that I was even there. Well I didn't get PO'd about it because nobody (I didn't) get hurt, but now when I think about it I should of hit the top of her car when she was so close. This lady was so old that I thought, NO if I started srceaming at her she might of had a heart attack. So like THE DUDE says, beware of on coming cars at all times. Even I should of been watching for cars coming in from behind me, in that case I would of gotten hit. BE CAREFUL WALKERS!
Old 02-06-2017, 08:55 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred R View Post
There have been lots of times when I am riding in my cart on an MMP and encounter a walker, they won't even consider stepping off the path, especially if 2 carts are passing each other. I've had to slam on the brakes because of their selfish behavior. There is no substitute for courtesy.
you are being selfish as your proper reaction should be slow down and let the other cart pass then pass the walker, you on the other hand, are acting 'entitled' and selfish blaming walkers for your unwillingness to wait 10 seconds.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I have read the 34 previous posts and everything that has been said has been repeated several times over on these pages.

And each time I have mentioned that the cause of all this commotion is that The Villages error was in creating MMP's in the first place.

It does not take much forethought to recognize the danger being created by placing carts, bikes, pedestrian, etc on the same paths.

So the obvious outcome has been cited on the previous comments on 34 posts.

The motor vehicle laws establish attempt to balance the law for the protection of us all by creating certain rights and responsibilities. the problem of course is the human experience.

Recognizing this I travel with my eyes wide open. When I see pedestrians on either side of the path I slow because I do not want to startle them and I am aware that there are a majority of golf cart drivers that do not understand that the rules of the road require them to stop if an obstruction (people , parked car) is in their path. they simply attempt to veer around pedestrians to the middle of the path. Knowing this I slow or stop.

and I have written on these pages in the past that some walkers dress as if they are commandos

What I have learned is that the MMP were not well thought out and so my responsibility is to be well... very alert and careful of others.

Personal Best Regards:
Maybe the mistake wasn't in the development of the MMPs, but in the assumption that retired, mostly successful individuals would be able to use the MMPS in a safe and responsible manner. Adultlike if you will.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:37 AM

These threads where people complain about some aspect of other peoples behavior are pointless. Nothing is going to be solved by your post. Just stop. Try to be the best person you can be. In the end thats all that matters.

I walk many miles a week on the paths. I practice defensive walking. If I had a cart, I'd practice defensive driving. I think that's probably the best we can all do.

Peace.
--
Bob C
Old 02-06-2017, 10:34 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks,works great for me on WIN-10
Old 02-06-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred R View Post
There have been lots of times when I am riding in my cart on an MMP and encounter a walker, they won't even consider stepping off the path, especially if 2 carts are passing each other. I've had to slam on the brakes because of their selfish behavior. There is no substitute for courtesy.
you so correct about courtesy! why should a walker have to go to the grass for the lack of courtesy of the cart drivers! just slow down and realize u are not the king of the road! if a cart hits me i will sue ur bottom! such arragance! the first thing i will do is instruct my attorney to do is to confiscate ur golf cart to check the max speed that is capable of? just so you know do not challenge a walker we have just as much right to be there as you do! i realize there is a assumed entitlement on your part, but this would be a fantasy in your self elevated betterment of others!
Old 02-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietpepsi View Post
you so correct about courtesy! why should a walker have to go to the grass for the lack of courtesy of the cart drivers! just slow down and realize u are not the king of the road!...
Bingo!
Old 02-06-2017, 12:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default OhioBuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
You're right, walkers beware! On Tue. Jan. 24th I was walking past Bradenton Rec. center & when I started to cross drive that leads into the Rec. center I was about half way across the drive & I notice a car turning into the parking lot out the corner of my eye. Some elderly lady turned in & when I look up just as the car was about 5 or 6 ft. from me I noticed she wasn't even looking straight ahead, she was gawking at the building or was concentrating on a parking place. Seriously I had to jump backward & her car ran over the tips of my shoes & this lady never batted an eye that I was even there. Well I didn't get PO'd about it because nobody (I didn't) get hurt, but now when I think about it I should of hit the top of her car when she was so close. This lady was so old that I thought, NO if I started srceaming at her she might of had a heart attack. So like THE DUDE says, beware of on coming cars at all times. Even I should of been watching for cars coming in from behind me, in that case I would of gotten hit. BE CAREFUL WALKERS!
THE DUDE, I hope you don't think my comment sounded like I was mad or yelling at you. You're exactly right, I guess to put it bluntly, some of the people driving cars don't react very quickly & don't seem to think they don't do any wrong. I was just really happy that I was paying attention enough to jump out of the way. THE DUDE, your comment was right & to the point, good job!
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, walker, problem, hit, walkers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.