Establishing Florida Residency

Old 04-16-2024, 01:51 PM
Default Establishing Florida Residency

I'm looking for information on best method of establishing Florida residency while not having a permanent FL address yet. I have sold my home in Minnesota and will be building in the Eastport area when I finally procure the lot I am interested in. I am lining up a rental unit from June 15th thru the end of December. I'd like to get my FL drivers license and auto license plate switched to FL as soon as I get to FL in June. Any tips on how best to do that would be much appreciated.
I can't leave MN fast enough. Even though I will be out of the state for more than 6 months, my accountant is telling me they will prorate my taxes for 2024 so I want residency in FL ASAP.
Old 04-16-2024, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,752 Times in 5,258 Posts

You can get everything done at the DMV office at 7375 Powell Road in Wildwood. You will need to get a Florida car title and have Florida auto insurance.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,617 Times in 948 Posts

Only matters to the state you are leaving. Selling your hosue is one thing they look at.

Where are your family photos? Do you have any other nexus to MIN?
They will use cell phone records.
If you and your stuff is really in FLA, you are fine.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:46 PM
Gold member

I saw something that said you have to be out of Minnesota for 183 days to not be a Minnesota resident. June 15 is outside of that window? Isn't it? You'll need to find another 2 or 3 weeks outside of Minnesota to qualify for 2024. If you've been here looking for your house & lot, keep track of those days. Or I think if you've taken an out of Minnesota vacation for two weeks before June that would count too.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:03 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
I saw something that said you have to be out of Minnesota for 183 days to not be a Minnesota resident. June 15 is outside of that window? Isn't it? You'll need to find another 2 or 3 weeks outside of Minnesota to qualify for 2024. If you've been here looking for your house & lot, keep track of those days. Or I think if you've taken an out of Minnesota vacation for two weeks before June that would count too.
One thing you want to legally change as quick as possible is the residency of your money.
Delay any lump sum distributions and change your state of residency ASAP of pension money. Don't let the old state collect income tax on payments. See an attorney now and not later.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
You can get everything done at the DMV office at 7375 Powell Road in Wildwood. You will need to get a Florida car title and have Florida auto insurance.
I did this last week. When i wanted to know the process simply googled how to establish FL residency, change vehicle title and the wonderful internet gave me the answers. I've deleted the link, you can find the info easily enough.

I went to Powell Rd office of Sumter County tax assessor since I live in Sumter, was able to register to vote, change vehicle title and get DL all at the same time. Be sure you have the 2 pieces of mail with your new address - many people did not and had to return another day. One of those documents can be your voter registration, for the other I used SECO account letter - SECO emails you a letter that you have started an account, which is accepted as proof. There are others listed on the website.

If you don't live in Sumter County you can register to vote and get DL at Powell Rd, AFAIK you need to go to your County for vehicle title.

Make sure your car insurance date starts on the date you are changing title.

I saw someone mention to move your money from old State - you do not need to do that. Just because your bank is a State other than FL doesn't mean that State collects taxes - you file taxes based on residency. I have no FL bank account and do not need one. No one look at your cell phone records or cares if you sold a house in old State - many people own multiple houses in many states.

The entire process to handle all 3 transactions - registering to vote, getting DL and transferring vehicle takes about 20 minutes. You can make an appointment time online of walk-up and wait.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:44 PM

Randy Mask - Sumter County Tax Collector
Read the applicable sections.
if you're going to live in Sumter County. If another jurisdiction check that webpage. I am wrong about non-Sumter county residents getting a DL, webpage says Sumter only. BTW I am a renter, not a property owner.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Only if he is renting in Sumter County per the official webpage.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:52 PM

I forgot to mention to have cash or check if you want to avoid credit card fee on vehicle tax. If you bought your vehicle in the last 6 months have a copy of your receipt showing where you paid old state the sales tax and in FL they will credit you that amount against the FL fee. That saved me $ since I had purchased my vehicle recently.
Old 04-17-2024, 03:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager-2024 View Post
Randy Mask - Sumter County Tax Collector
Read the applicable sections.
if you're going to live in Sumter County. If another jurisdiction check that webpage. I am wrong about non-Sumter county residents getting a DL, webpage says Sumter only. BTW I am a renter, not a property owner.
I live in Lake County and got everything done at the Powell Road office: drivers license, vehicle title, and vehicle registration. These are state functions, not county functions. Although, I was not a renter.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I live in Lake County and got everything done at the Powell Road office: drivers license, vehicle title, and vehicle registration. These are state functions, not county functions. Although, I was not a renter.
Good to know. The Sumter County webpage says SC residents only, so either that’s not applicable or it’s new since you used the service. Either way the office is efficient and easy to navigate, not always true.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
First, your math is off. June 15 is only 166 days into the year.

Second, It doesn't matter. Whether he moves on January 15 or December 15, he has to file a part year tax return for the old state.

Another response about moving money was partially correct. If he is entitled to any lump sum distributions, arrange to receive them after establishing residency in FL and updating your address with the payer. If received while a resident of the old state, then the old state taxes it. But it doesn't matter where the bank account is located. If you receive pension payments while in both states, you should receive 2 form 1099R's - one for each state.

It is important that anyone who pays you money - including your investment accounts, have your FL address on file. Even if it's a temporary rental address.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:

I saw someone mention to move your money from old State - you do not need to do that. Just because your bank is a State other than FL doesn't mean that State collects taxes - you file taxes based on residency. I have no FL bank account and do not need one. No one look at your cell phone records or cares if you sold a house in old State - many people own multiple houses in many states.
Depends on your old state & how much money you are denying their treasury. If it is worth the state's time, they will try (varies, depending on the old state - mine does try). If you are a bazillionaire, they will try to audit you to prove you didn't leave. Yes, in general, in most states & in most cases, you just pick up & leave. If you win a big lottery on your way out of the door, they will try to get a piece. The best idea is to keep records & receipts & toss them once the state doesn't chase after you.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:05 AM
Gold member

///

Last edited by Dusty_Star; 04-17-2024 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Only if he is renting in Sumter County per the official webpage.
The website is not correct on this. If you are not a Sumter County resident and they are busy, they can refuse to serve you. However, if you go when they are not busy, non-Sumter County residents can get everything done. That includes drivers license, vehicle title, vehicle registration, and voter registration. And, it doesn't matter if you are a homeowner or a renter.

Tags
residency, florida, june, establishing, license

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.