Estate ,garage and yard sales helping spread the Virus

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2020, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debelg View Post
Dear Villagers , I want to ask you all to help out with this problem . Yesterday I paused by a Estate sale in the area where I was walking because I was just in disbelieve as I observed what was going on . There were about 30 to 40 people ,they were all touching the items for sale and putting back the ones they had no interest in . then at the checkout money changed hands . There were 18 adds in yesterdays paper for these kind of events and another 11 adds in todays paper . All these people could be potentially carriers of the Virus . Lets just say 40 people that come in contact with 2 other people that have no clue that they were at these kind of events that would make 80 additional carriers if those people come in contact with 2 more that would give an additional 160 …….do you get it ? please tell your friends not to attend those events and/or contact the paper not to print these adds until this situation is under control
please be safe
Thank you
Your hands can be full of the virus but as long as you do not put your hands on your face and touch your nose, mouth or eyes, you can not contract the virus from virus on your hands. This is why you MUST thoroughly wash your hands when you get back into your home. The virus goes down the drain and you are safe once again. Hand washing is key.

The second way to contract the virus is through droplets from an infected person coughing or sneezing which come in contact with your nose, mouth or eyes. The 6 foot social distancing will eliminate the possibility of contracting the virus in this mode of transmission.

Attending gatherings such as yard sales can not guarantee that you can keep 6 feet between you and the person next to you. I'm finding even walking the aisles of the grocery store can be a challenge in keeping 6 feet away from someone. There are folks out there who are not heeding the advice from our government and the infection control experts. You just never know when someone may sneeze in your direction and not cover their nose and mouth or start coughing and not cover their nose and mouth the proper way. It is a mine field out there!

Last edited by coffeebean; 03-21-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I think if the government can delay tax day by 3 months, close restaurants and entertainment venues, limit gatherings to 10 or less and in some places order you to stay at home, then they can require creditors to delay any collection proceedings after a person dies.
I don't know if they can or not - but so far, they haven't done that. So at the moment, creditors are free to begin collection proceedings on the estate if the owner of the estate dies.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Your hands can be full of the virus but as long as you do not put your hands on your face and touch your nose, mouth or eyes, you can not contract the virus from virus on your hands. This is why you MUST thoroughly wash your hands when you get back into your home. The virus goes down the drain and you are safe once again. Hand washing is key.

The second way to contract the virus is through droplets from an infected person coughing or sneezing which come in contact with your nose, mouth or eyes. The 6 foot social distancing will eliminate the possibility of contracting the virus in this mode of transmission.

Attending gatherings such as yard sales can not guarantee that you can keep 6 feet between you and the person next to you. I'm finding even walking the aisles of the grocery store can be a challenge in keeping 6 feet away from someone. There are folks out there who are not heeding the advice from our government and the infection control experts. You just never know when someone may sneeze in your direction and not cover their nose and mouth or start coughing and not cover their nose and mouth the proper way. It is a mine field out there!
So true. The risk of contracting ANY virus by going to an estate sale is fairly low, unless the person who owned the estate died in the home as a result of an infectious virus (because that stuff will be all over EVERYTHING).

The risk of contracting this by shopping in a supermarket and refusing to respect even half!!! of the 6' social distancing protocol is probably a whole lot higher.

I've had people come within inches of me - I've seen customers cough into their fists and then reach for packages on the shelf with the same hand. I've seen kids sitting IN shopping carts (not on the top where they belong), grabbing the carts on the sides, saw one kid sneeze...

seriously - an estate sale should be the least of your worries. You're not likely to see the kinds of crowds you see at the supermarket. Just don't go, if it bothers you. It's equally likely that all the people who DO go to them - are going to wash their hands at some point that day after returning home.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

They won't satisfy much "debt" with an estate sale. Most estate sales here are just garage sales run by 2 or 3 local companies who call them estate sales who take a huge amount of the proceeds and keep everything that isn't sold.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
They won't satisfy much "debt" with an estate sale. Most estate sales here are just garage sales run by 2 or 3 local companies who call them estate sales who take a huge amount of the proceeds and keep everything that isn't sold.
So true.
All this babble about settling an estate at a garage sale is malarkey.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:19 PM
Veteran member

I rode my bike through a few Villages and saw in disbelief several garage sales.

Hubby and I are very social people however NO ONE has been in our home for weeks and we have NOT been in the home of our friends.

People were in their garage picking up items. I was shocked by their stupidity.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, contact, events, adds, paper

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.