Evening with The Developer

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2019, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
Whoa!

Gratitude? I simply said that we are paying for what we have here and will continue to pay for everything.

I am well aware of many other adult communities and what they cost and what they offer. I would even venture to say that I am better versed in that than you might be from having lived in a number of different places and looked at many places.

I didn't say that the family hasn't worked hard for what they have and I don't begrudge them one cent of what they've earned. I do feel that once in a while they could be more involved in some things and throw the dog a bone, but that's beside the point.

I didn't say that TV was a horrible place; it's quite the opposite. I didn't say that what we have here isn't worth it. There is no disdain on my part. Where did you get that??? Please don't read something into what I've said when it simply isn't there. I'm sorry you are so angry.
Not angry, just disappointed with the rhetoric...accusing residents of having blind adoration, being sychophants, judging Mark as a panhandling vagrant (there was a lot of negative comments when he wore a suit) and saying they were handed this place on a silver platter then contradict yourself by saying you didn't say they didn't work hard for their money....those are a couple things that were said that I have disdain for and where it came from. Then, you don't know me but still take the position that you know more than I about these communities. Maybe you do, maybe you don't but why? You can have the last word, I'm sorry I stated this thread and will now go sit in the corner.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-14-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Does anyone remember which Morse generation started "Evening with the Developer" ?????

Just wondering who (or is it whom) started these events.

Thanks

I believe it was Gary Morse who started that years ago, but I could be mistaken.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
The good people of Wildwood will take issue with this very derogatory statement.

The developer has taken over much of Wldwood and turned it into part of The Villages. Due to this having happened, it has created jobs, businesses and other places to live outside of TV, but within Wildwood.

My statement is not derogatory; it is based on and is pure fact. If TV never existed Wildwood would be a slum, i.e., no jobs, no growth and extreme poverty.

I defy you to say that is not true. Yes -- thank heaven for what the developer has done!
Old 05-14-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am wondering about what things you think that the Morse Clan "should" do? I am not sure what bone the dog wants?

When I go into one of the recreation centers and see all of the lovely custom upholstered furniture and the lovely accessories and the card chairs are not the chintzy kind but mostly beautiful upholstered and heavy. it makes me happy. I feel that we all live like the Vanderbilts and the Upper Class lived in their hey-day. There are beautiful flowers and landscaping all around and trash is never left to lie around, the common areas are cared for and the buildings regularly painted and cleaned...and when there was major water from Hurricane Irma, they flooded their own golf courses to protect our homes. For thirteen years I have lived here and the Morses have done very few public appearances. They do not seem to seek or need to be applauded. I have no need for them to contribute to my favorite charity, and they would never satisfy anyone if they did. They are ordinary people from the middle part of the country.

From what you've said in your comment, it seems the things that most impress you are what I refer to as "eye candy" -- the decor and furnishings in rec centers and the upscale quality which you equate with what the "Vanderbilts and an Upper Class" might have. I think that's stretching it but nevertheless, while lovely and impressive, I've always thought these things were done mainly for attracting and impressing would-be new residents, i.e., potential buyers. I will include all the wonderful flower displays which are changed seasonally in that, as well. As residents, we are very fortunate to have these things because we have the full enjoyment of these things all the time, but I truly believe it is a very clever marketing move.

I think An Evening with the Developer is a joke. He doesn't touch on things that are important to residents and it's as though all it is, is his annual cameo appearance. I think he should do this quarterly and respond to suggestions and complaints of the residents. If he would meet with residents of even combined districts and hold Q & A type meetings, that would be great, but of course, that's wishful thinking and will never happen.

I do believe he and the others in the family should be more visible. Most residents wouldn't know any of them if they fell over them, but that doesn't seem to be a concern. No, they don't need to be applauded or seek applause, but it's not because they are humble. This is their business and the bottom line is they're in it to make money and don't care about spreading goodwill. And no -- they are not ordinary people; we -- the residents are the ordinary people!

What do I think the Morses "should" do? I think all along, they should have taken a proactive position in the sinkhole issues in Calument Grove. My heart goes out to the residents there; they have suffered far too long without much help. I think the fact that residents from certain geographical areas only must pay for the Morse bridge repair is ridiculous and unfair. The road is owned by the county and the land is owned by the Morses. And only specific residents have to pay for this repair when millions of people from parts unknown use this bridge every day? And then there was the tree incident a few years ago -- the trees which were mysteriously chopped down by a resident's landscaper. The Morses need to step up to the plate and be more involved and more attentive to serious issues within The Villages, instead of ignoring problems and turning the other cheek.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
From what you've said in your comment, it seems the things that most impress you are what I refer to as "eye candy" -- the decor and furnishings in rec centers and the upscale quality which you equate with what the "Vanderbilts and an Upper Class" might have. I think that's stretching it but nevertheless, while lovely and impressive, I've always thought these things were done mainly for attracting and impressing would-be new residents, i.e., potential buyers. I will include all the wonderful flower displays which are changed seasonally in that, as well. As residents, we are very fortunate to have these things because we have the full enjoyment of these things all the time, but I truly believe it is a very clever marketing move.

I think An Evening with the Developer is a joke. He doesn't touch on things that are important to residents and it's as though all it is, is his annual cameo appearance. I think he should do this quarterly and respond to suggestions and complaints of the residents. If he would meet with residents of even combined districts and hold Q & A type meetings, that would be great, but of course, that's wishful thinking and will never happen.

I do believe he and the others in the family should be more visible. Most residents wouldn't know any of them if they fell over them, but that doesn't seem to be a concern. No, they don't need to be applauded or seek applause, but it's not because they are humble. This is their business and the bottom line is they're in it to make money and don't care about spreading goodwill. And no -- they are not ordinary people; we -- the residents are the ordinary people!

What do I think the Morses "should" do? I think all along, they should have taken a proactive position in the sinkhole issues in Calument Grove. My heart goes out to the residents there; they have suffered far too long without much help. I think the fact that residents from certain geographical areas only must pay for the Morse bridge repair is ridiculous and unfair. The road is owned by the county and the land is owned by the Morses. And only specific residents have to pay for this repair when millions of people from parts unknown use this bridge every day? And then there was the tree incident a few years ago -- the trees which were mysteriously chopped down by a resident's landscaper. The Morses need to step up to the plate and be more involved and more attentive to serious issues within The Villages, instead of ignoring problems and turning the other cheek.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
I believe it was Gary Morse who started that years ago, but I could be mistaken.
This is just a guess, right?
Old 05-14-2019, 03:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
The developer has taken over much of Wldwood and turned it into part of The Villages. Due to this having happened, it has created jobs, businesses and other places to live outside of TV, but within Wildwood.

My statement is not derogatory; it is based on and is pure fact. If TV never existed Wildwood would be a slum, i.e., no jobs, no growth and extreme poverty.

I defy you to say that is not true. Yes -- thank heaven for what the developer has done!
I cannot say it is not true, anymore, than you can say it is true. And it was derogatory...………………
Actually Wildwood annexed what the Developer has created around Wildwood. He never took over any of Wildwood.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Not angry, just disappointed with the rhetoric...accusing residents of having blind adoration, being sychophants, judging Mark as a panhandling vagrant (there was a lot of negative comments when he wore a suit) and saying they were handed this place on a silver platter then contradict yourself by saying you didn't say they didn't work hard for their money....those are a couple things that were said that I have disdain for and where it came from. Then, you don't know me but still take the position that you know more than I about these communities. Maybe you do, maybe you don't but why? You can have the last word, I'm sorry I stated this thread and will now go sit in the corner.
I agree except; going and sitting in the corner.....
Old 05-14-2019, 04:24 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:

Actually, Wildwood expanded as Morses purchased land.

Very derogatory.

Not true.

Now that we have facts on the table...........An Evening with the Developer appears to be very popular and well attended. Part of it is new information, part of it is a review of history and part of it is to meet the family. Appears to me the meetings are working.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
This is just a guess, right?

I think my statement above is pretty clear in an attempt to be helpful. Is there some problem?

Do you have anything of value to offer???
Old 05-14-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I cannot say it is not true, anymore, than you can say it is true. And it was derogatory...………………
Actually Wildwood annexed what the Developer has created around Wildwood. He never took over any of Wildwood.

Well, I can say that what I've previously said about Wildwood is true. I have been in Florida for many years and until TV came into existence, Wildwood was always a very poor town.
I know what Wildwood was and know what it has become. I am familiar with its transformation.
The Villages has given Wildwood a facelift, a life and a future because of the mere existence of The Villages. THAT is a fact.

I don't understand why you are nitpicking at and dissecting my words. I'm not writing a college thesis; I am making a comment.
Whether you choose to use the word annexed or another similar synonym, the fact remains that TV is now what was part of Wildwood.

And I will state for the third time . . . If not for the development of The Villages, Wildwood would be a slum today.
THAT
is not a derogatory statement and thankfully is not the case.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

So how many more posts are you going to insert “Wildwood” and “Slum” in, before you feel you’ve made your point.

Moderator: time to shut this thread down.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:

The house you built 20 years ago was sound and solid, you sold it long ago and have no financial interest, ownership rights, or ongoing responsibility in it, you receive a letter from the current owner who says the roof is leaking and they want you to pay for repairing it because you are now somehow responsible for it and have money, how do you respond? I'm not unsympathetic to the plight of the residents of this community. The issue isn't that the Developer is responsible, the issue is that the politicians running Marion county have refused to do their jobs and take care of the issues of the residents in their county.

My guess is most would toss the letter in the trash as foolish nonsense. How is the Calumet Grove sinkhole any different? Because the Developer is still around and is successful they should pay for everything that happens here in perpetuity, absolutely ridiculous.

Once again, as has been said many times, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the bridge that crosses the lake, there never has been. It is an erosion issue on the banks of the man-made island that was constructed around the center pilings. The bridge is fine and would continue to be fine even if the lake completely reclaimed the entire island. You demonstrate a lack an understanding of the structure and agreements in place that operates The Villages and the CDDs, while I am sure the residents of CDD4 would love to share the ongoing costs they are incurring because of the sink hole problem with all the other CDDs, that simply won't happen because no inter-local government agreement exist to allow that to happen. The converse is also true of costs incurred south of CR466 not being the responsibility of the northern most CDDs.

Outside of any agreed to warranty period, once the lands and properties are transferred to either the County or the CDD, the Developers involvement and responsibilities are complete. Any issues, problems, or repairs are then the responsibilities of the governing body. We the residents are that governing body through our elected representatives. It is not the Developer's responsibility to respond to or address the complaints of residents in areas of the development long ago completed and transferred to other hands. That responsibility belongs to County government, the CDDs, and in some cases the City where the residents reside.

Yes, the Evening with the Developer is basically an advertising and feel good event. They put information out that helps quell rumors and speculation about what they are doing now and sometime in the near future, most of these we all benefit from in one way or another. In my opinion, it serves a more important purpose, it lets people know that they community is still alive and growing, for what doesn't grow most assuredly dies. Yes, this is a business, their business, and yes they are in it to make a profit as is every business. Many that live among us have forgotten this fact of how the real world works now that they've retired. Unless they have an existing warranty responsibility the Developer owes us nothing that wasn't written into the the contract to purchase your home.

The Developer have proven themselves responsible stewards of the future growth of The Villages. It's not hard to see what happens when a responsible approach isn't taken, go to the Fort Myers area and drive through the Lehigh Acres development and you will see what that failure looks like. We are fortunate that this development has been so successful and continues to both grow and be run by an effective government system.

Yes, I too was disappointed with the lack of new content and information that was put out at the event. I had hoped for a lot more to be relieved but nothing was. I guess I have to just keep digging for information and seeing what I can from the air with the drone.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 05-15-2019, 08:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Very good post GoldWingNut.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Very good post GoldWingNut.
Closed Thread

Tags
presentation, months, cancel, substance, reschedule

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.