Evening with the Developer - are they having one this year?

Old 05-11-2024, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,921 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
A scheduling conflict? Then reschedule the meeting so the man in charge can be there to answer questions. No worries about having to answer difficult questions on a prerecorded video. From the line up of the panel, it was obviously a dog and pony show with an emphasis on attempting to put lipstick on the Villages substandard health care system. Im going out on a limb and guessing the rapid decline in golfing holes per rooftop and course conditions were not addressed?
I don't recall that there was ever a time that they fielded questions from the audience. I think that a developer of any ability could not be able to change a substandard health care system. The Villages Hospital buildings are owned by the developer and leased at the present time to the University of Florida who runs the hospital. The Villages Health centers are run by The Villages and you can use them if you have the kinds of insurance they take but I find it hard to know how anybody can get more doctors and nurses to move here or anywhere for that matter.
Old 05-11-2024, 03:12 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
Video is available. Looks like it's been rebranded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AmCGjpFKnw
Thanks for this posting.

A couple of my comments after viewing this video.

On gate cards.

Peter Russell likes the old system of rolling down his window. However, Carrie Duckett says that the district has heard the people speak and will try to have extended card readers in the future where there is no need to row down the window.
While Kenny says cloned gate cards will not work, if a card is cloned from a still valid card it will work. My cloned gate cards are working fine.

The importance of the VHA

Peter Russell states that the VHA has to be the mechanism for providing to the community development districts what enhancements they are looking for. I can send an email to Kenny to get thing resolved. Which shows how important the VHA is to this entire structure.

His thoughts are to just bypass elected officials that are working hard to provide the best possible services to Villagers. I totally disagree with his thoughts on the VHA's place in the structure of the governance of the Villages.

I almost feel like burning my lifetime VHA card as I don't want to have them count me as agreeing with their current thinking.

Maybe as a Vietnam veteran I do have PTSD but I don't think so.
Old 05-11-2024, 03:34 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Thanks for this posting.

A couple of my comments after viewing this video.

On gate cards.

Peter Russell likes the old system of rolling down his window. However, Carrie Duckett says that the district has heard the people speak and will try to have extended card readers in the future where there is no need to row down the window.
While Kenny says cloned gate cards will not work, if a card is cloned from a still valid card it will work. My cloned gate cards are working fine.

The importance of the VHA

Peter Russell states that the VHA has to be the mechanism for providing to the community development districts what enhancements they are looking for. I can send an email to Kenny to get thing resolved. Which shows how important the VHA is to this entire structure.

His thoughts are to just bypass elected officials that are working hard to provide the best possible services to Villagers. I totally disagree with his thoughts on the VHA's place in the structure of the governance of the Villages.

I almost feel like burning my lifetime VHA card as I don't want to have them count me as agreeing with their current thinking.

Maybe as a Vietnam veteran I do have PTSD but I don't think so.
No....your points are very valid.
Many like to make comments and suggestions of secession, incorporation and municipal like governance (ie; Mayor, City Council etc). So if that’s the way one leans, there are too many layers in this current system IMO. I have no issue with a board, association or commission ....but only in an advisory role. There are many that come from different areas of the country and world for that matter....I’m sure, are still trying to figure out the current structure here. But enough with attempting to dovetail yet another entity into what’s already in place.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,240 Times in 2,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't recall that there was ever a time that they fielded questions from the audience. I think that a developer of any ability could not be able to change a substandard health care system.
Totally agree on both points. Not fielding questions makes the presentation nothing more than a dog and pony show without addressing residents concerns. That kind of discredits the whole event. Also agree the developer can’t change the substandard health care system (thanks for agreeing the system is substandard), but don’t try to fool us by putting lipstick on a pig.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:10 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Totally agree on both points. Not fielding questions makes the presentation nothing more than a dog and pony show without addressing residents concerns. That kind of discredits the whole event. Also agree the developer can’t change the substandard health care system (thanks for agreeing the system is substandard), but don’t try to fool us by putting lipstick on a pig.
Usually in that setting...the best you’re gonna get is the staff handing out index cards to the audience....to pose a question. Then they ‘select’ the questions they’re going to answer from the dais. Nobody passes around a hot mic anymore....it gives up control of the narrative. Although I like and respect the developer....I liken his approach to that of Ronald Reagan’s 1980 debate comment “I am paying for this microphone!”
Old 05-12-2024, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,649 Times in 3,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
I like the opening frame...giving the impression it was sold out. I think I saw Kramer from Seinfeld in his role as a seat filler! Thanks for posting
I think the "three-legged stool" thing is pretentious and obnoxious, self-serving, and myopic.

First off, there are many people who aren't members of the VHA. The VHA exists as a mouthpiece for the Developer, it was created as such, and it still is. Second, the Dev team represents - the Developers. the CDD is the governing body of each district, of which there are many, and they don't always agree, and they don't usually work together as a cohesive unit.

Meanwhile, do you notice what isn't included in this three-legged stool? The residents. Not all homeowners are residents, and not all residents are homeowners. THEY - the residents - are not represented in this three-legged stool at all.

Tags
year, previous, links, event, evening

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.