Excess Wear of Shower Tile Edges

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2023, 01:53 PM
Default Excess Wear of Shower Tile Edges

We bought a pre-own in Fenney. The edges of the tiles on the master shower’s seat and the shelf for shampoo, etc. have worn off to a light green coating or a brown composite material. The wall and floor tiles are fine. It looks like a fake material was glued onto the edge of a flat tile to give a rounded edge. How can this be fixed? I can paint a matching grey pattern with my acrylic paints, but that will peel off without some kind of hard coating to protect the paint from the shower spray. Maybe a clear, marine epoxy resin? Should I use a marine paint? Rip out the tiles and replace them with non-matching, but true ceramic rounded tiles?
Old 07-14-2023, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

You may want to look at adding a plastic or metal cover to the edges.
Old 07-14-2023, 04:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

You could try calling home warranty for information on the 'tile' and the installer. Then call the installer to see if they have matching bull nose tile, and have this cut to fit and properly attached and grouted. Now if that is not an option, I would go to Sherwin-Williams and ask an expert what type of paint to use and the s[pecific preparations so the paint will stick and wear will. I am guessing the are where the material was glued will need to be completely cleaned, and probably sanded, and maybe sealed or primed before the final coats are applied.
My other thought would be to use a contrasting or highlight color tile if you cannot match, and then the correct method to attch the tile.

Tags
tiles, paint, rounded, edge, material

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.