Experience with E-Bike Rental

Old 01-09-2024, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Trek and Specialized are ridiculously over priced for what you get. I have 4 ebikes and have ridden most of the top sellers. The Velotric Discover 1 looks good for that sale price. Pay no attention the the "peak" power ratings of the motor, it is the continual rated power that is important. The 500 watt motor would be enough for the flat Florida trails. If you are also going to ride any hilly country though, I would rather have a Ride1Up 700 Series with a 750 watt motor for the same sale price. My wife has that bike and it's great. We are snowbirds so her 750 watt motor and mine with a 1000 watt motor fly up those steep hills we have in PA. Just do not get any ebike with small 20" tires even though you may see a lot of them. They are top heavy and the steering is very quick.
Great information!
Old 01-09-2024, 10:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLinn View Post
We bought two bikes from them two years ago. We also bought the maintenance package. He comes to our house and picks up the bikes and keeps them overnight giving them a complete tune up. If our bikes were stolen, we'd buy new bikes from him again tomorrow. I have 100% confidence in his service and advice.
To whom are you referring? More than one supplier has been mentioned.
Old 01-09-2024, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
Just rode an e-bike for the first time. We went 30 miles and it was a blast.

Renter from a local online service: Village Bike Rentals. We would not hesitate to recommend them for a rental- they were great.

We're considering buying 2 bikes from them. Any feedback on a buying experience?

Thanks!
I bought my E-bike from Rad Power Bikes. It came in a crate from Seattle or somewhere on the West Coast. It required some putting together, but it was easy and had good instructions. I picked their lowest priced solid frame (not fold up) model. It had a smaller 400 watt motor, which was OK with me because I did not plan to have a need to go over 20 MPH or spend much time going up hills. It cost me $ 1,000 with free shipping. It was well worth it and lived up to ALL my expectations.
........Since I purchased mine, I believe that they have established a physical store in Florida (either in Sarasota or Tampa, not sure) where you could test ride one. They are one of the biggest E-bike manufacturers and have a complete line-up of models. Their bikes get good reviews and by shipping in a crate, they try to keep costs down.
Old 01-09-2024, 12:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Trek and Specialized are ridiculously over priced for what you get. I have 4 ebikes and have ridden most of the top sellers. The Velotric Discover 1 looks good for that sale price. Pay no attention the the "peak" power ratings of the motor, it is the continual rated power that is important. The 500 watt motor would be enough for the flat Florida trails. If you are also going to ride any hilly country though, I would rather have a Ride1Up 700 Series with a 750 watt motor for the same sale price. My wife has that bike and it's great. We are snowbirds so her 750 watt motor and mine with a 1000 watt motor fly up those steep hills we have in PA. Just do not get any ebike with small 20" tires even though you may see a lot of them. They are top heavy and the steering is very quick.
My Rad bike comes with 27.5 by 1.95 which gives me very stable steering and I could ride on dirt or shell roads. If a person spends the summer in a hilly area and are often off-road they would need wider tires and a 500 watt motor, or larger. And I agree that Trek and others are overpriced. I think that if money is no object that a person could find a CENTER MOUNTED motor likely superior to the rear wheel mounting that most have. But, I have no actual experience with those.

Last edited by jimjamuser; 01-09-2024 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 01:02 PM
Sage

If I remember electrical stuff correctly Power equals Current squared time Resistance and the answer IS in Watts. Torque is a measure of turning FORCE.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
Just rode an e-bike for the first time. We went 30 miles and it was a blast.

Renter from a local online service: Village Bike Rentals. We would not hesitate to recommend them for a rental- they were great.

We're considering buying 2 bikes from them. Any feedback on a buying experience?

Thanks!
I do not have any experience with Villages Bike Rental. I bought an ebike, TotGuard from Amazon for under $300 two years ago. There are many others on Amazon. The TotGuard has 17 speeds, both throttle and three assists modes, goes about 20 miles an hour, horn, lights, etc.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Since dhdallas is giving advice and recommentations on watts we might as well be accurate.

There are two types of ebike systems hub drive, which have a motor within the wheel. These operate at 30% efficiency. Hub drives are located at the wheel center.

Mid drives are located at the pedals and run 70-80% efficiency. Most mid drives drives are 250 watts. You can recognize a mid drive in pictures at a glance.

Mid drives feel more natural, go further, last longer and cost more.

There is no standard that ebikes be rated at peak, continuious, or nominal watts. It is foolish to shop ebikes by watts. Some mid drives rate by torque but I have never seen a hub drive do this. Torque is the measure of power, not watts.
See reply #20
Old 01-09-2024, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
My Rad bike comes with 27.5 by 1.95 which gives me very stable steering and I could ride on dirt or shell roads. If a person spends the summer in a hilly area and are often off-road they would need wider tires and a 500 watt motor, or larger. And I agree that Trek and others are overpriced. I think that if money is no object that a person could find a CENTER MOUNTED motor likely superior to the rear wheel mounting that most have. But, I have no actual experience with those.
I have a Bafang motor installed on an old road bike. It has 9 speeds and can also just use electric with a throttle. It is mounted on the crank bottom bracket. They use them on dirt bikes. Will go 30 mph.
Old 01-09-2024, 05:33 PM

Watch the weight. Some are very heavy and putting on to and taking off bike rack is not easy.
Old 01-09-2024, 05:35 PM

Yes they add a lot of weight. And very fast.
Old 01-09-2024, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztlcam View Post
Watch the weight. Some are very heavy and putting on to and taking off bike rack is not easy.
If you have a vehicle with a 2 inch trailer hitch receiver check out the Hollywood Destination E bike rack, they are really nice. The rack comes with a ramp to roll the bikes up onto the wheel cradle so no lifting is involved. The rack is designed for the weight of e bikes and is also designed to fit bikes with unusual geometry such as step through bikes with no crossbars and fenders and racks. It’s super easy to use and holds the bikes very securely.
Old 01-09-2024, 07:25 PM

I bought an Lectric bike with 20 “ wheels. Second highest rated at the time. It was a blast. However, as person states top heavy and difficult to maneuver when I got off sold it and looking for a lighter e-bike.
Old 01-09-2024, 07:47 PM

My wife and I purchased our ebikes on line from Himiway. What a nightmare! My motor went out after about 6 months. After about 100 emails to China, and still not got the problem solved with them using Google translator, I finally found someone to service. All the local bike shops would not service unless you bought from them.I found Mike the bike Dr! He is located on 466 across from Wall Mart. I even bought a Ride 1up from him while we were waiting on parts from China. He has several different manf. Do not buy online. Buy from local bike shop that will service! No exceptions!
Old 01-09-2024, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLinn View Post
We bought two bikes from them two years ago. We also bought the maintenance package. He comes to our house and picks up the bikes and keeps them overnight giving them a complete tune up. If our bikes were stolen, we'd buy new bikes from him again tomorrow. I have 100% confidence in his service and advice.
Thanks. I was impressed when he told me he'd service the bikes at the house or pick them up
Old 01-29-2024, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyarham View Post
If you want to save money and don’t mind putting it together, buy online
You really need to consider service after you buy an e-bike. If you are not mechanically inclined to fix bikes, you will be in trouble if you don't buy it at a local dealer who will also service it. Huge Factor. Bike shops do not want the liability of dealing with electronics or batteries in e-bikes. Pay the extra and take it where you can have it serviced.

Tags
experience, e-bike, buying, hesitate, recommend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.