Exterior home LED lighting

Unread 04-17-2024, 07:10 AM
Default Exterior home LED lighting

I recently visited TV and while driving around at night noticed a few homes with very bright, often colorful, exterior lighting. It appeared to be a permanently installed, under the eaves, type of lighting. They almost resemble holiday lights in some cases. Curious how this is received. It certainly stands out.
Unread 04-17-2024, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,756 Times in 5,259 Posts

The neighbors may not like it, but, according to Community Standards, it is not prohibited, and you don't need ARC approval.
Unread 04-17-2024, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,181 Times in 2,263 Posts

I agree with above comment, we have colored lighting inside our birdcage, but I also checked with the neighbor to make sure it did not impact their lanai or birdcage.
Unread 04-17-2024, 09:51 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWGifford View Post
I recently visited TV and while driving around at night noticed a few homes with very bright, often colorful, exterior lighting. It appeared to be a permanently installed, under the eaves, type of lighting. They almost resemble holiday lights in some cases. Curious how this is received. It certainly stands out.
Hi there! Casandra with Pike's Electric here. We offer LED can lights in the soffit/eaves of the home. Our units we supply are white color, and can toggle from warm white to daylight bright white color. However, if you provided a color changing (RGBW) unit, that toggles colors of the rainbow, we are happy to provide you a free estimate on installing locations for your provided lights on a new switch. Some of these units, are smartphone compatible/app compatible as well. Please let me know if I can geet you more information Email: cnelson@pikeselectric.com

(352)748-6251
Unread 04-18-2024, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I agree with above comment, we have colored lighting inside our birdcage, but I also checked with the neighbor to make sure it did not impact their lanai or birdcage.
Thank you. I’ve seen the colored bird cage lights before and they are attractive and not as intrusive as what I’m referring to. I agree it’s always a good idea to speak with neighbor first even if it’s not “required”. The whole house lighting systems I’m referring to are quite bright and light up the surrounding neighborhood/street. I was just surprised its allowed given the otherwise uniform appearance in TV. I’m not sure I would appreciate it next door.
Unread 04-18-2024, 11:02 AM
Veteran member

I think the lights you are talking about are from Govee.com . Here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyDQR1Tnquw Each light on the string is controlled from an app. You can change color from white to any other color,. Amazon.com

Last edited by elevatorman; 04-18-2024 at 11:38 AM.
Unread 04-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,415 Times in 2,532 Posts

You won't be popular with this lighting.

screenshot-2024-04-18-17-47-05-villager’s-peaceful-water-view-ruined-neighbor-obnox-jpg
Unread 04-18-2024, 12:18 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

See below picture for reference
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Moro Exterior 4 Inch Soffit LED.jpg
Views:	1250
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	103729  

(352)748-6251
Unread 04-18-2024, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I saw a few homes with colored lights and changing patterns and they looked like it was Christmas decorations but in March. Not a fan.
Unread 04-18-2024, 06:08 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

I think that persons who install these types of lights are obviously not the ones who have to view them. It is not like we sit and stare at them, but it seems a like it could start to look like a commercial district without some control.
Unread 04-19-2024, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
I think that persons who install these types of lights are obviously not the ones who have to view them. It is not like we sit and stare at them, but it seems a like it could start to look like a commercial district without some control.
Agree. Personally, I feel the same way about bright white exterior lights that look like they belong in a Walmart parking lot. IMHO the classiest neighborhoods are those with uniform, warm white lighting.
Unread 04-19-2024, 05:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,871 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Thank you. I’ve seen the colored bird cage lights before and they are attractive and not as intrusive as what I’m referring to. I agree it’s always a good idea to speak with neighbor first even if it’s not “required”. The whole house lighting systems I’m referring to are quite bright and light up the surrounding neighborhood/street. I was just surprised its allowed given the otherwise uniform appearance in TV. I’m not sure I would appreciate it next door.
There are a couple houses on Morse south of 466 that have what look like neon tubes in bright colors on the roof of their birdcages, though they are probably LEDs. Another house has lights in the shape of a palm tree. They are sort of striking and cute and don’t bother me. When I had a pool, I had a string of LED lights under the eaves that lighted the pool area, but I only had them on when I was entertaining at night. (Not when swimming at night.) There are lots of homes with a few low lights in the shrubs that look nice. Many have some brighter lights that light up the shrubs. A few houses have much brighter perimeter lights. I hate to see that because of the light pollution. It’s hard enough already to see any stars here. I definitely would NOT want my neighbors to install such lighting. As it is, I have one neighbor with a motion-controlled light under the eaves. It seems to go on when a leaf rustles and lights up my bedroom. It annoys me a bit if I happen to be awake. But fortunately, the light turns off in ten seconds.

This is such a safe place that you don’t need the lighting for safety. You might want it for looks, true, but there are a variety of landscaping options that can provide lighting accents without using bright lights. And make sure the lights are on timers that shut them off before bedtime.
Unread 04-19-2024, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
You won't be popular with this lighting.
TRUE....if you're installing soffit lighting or lanai/birdcage lighting, it is very wise to check in with your neighbors and also NOT have outdoor lighting that shines brightly beyond your own property....
Unread 04-19-2024, 07:22 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,561 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeselectric View Post
See below picture for reference
That looks great
Unread 04-19-2024, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
And this is the proper way to do it…. Exterior lighting can be very intrusive on your neighbors.

Tags
lighting, exterior, holiday, eaves, type

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.