Exterior House Paint

Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2017, 08:56 PM
Default Exterior House Paint

This is my second new build home in FL. The first home lasted 8 years before a repaint.
My house paint here started failing within 3 years and now 2 years later looks awful.
I was told by the original painter/ supplier that it failed because they have to paint before the stucco has cured. Village rules to keep the house build 60 days or so.
Great; now I have to spend almost 5K for a repaint.
When I called Home Warranty they told me the builder paint needs to be redone after 2-3 years. BS if I have ever heard it.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Mine lasted 6 1/2 years before I did it over. Painted the ground level 2 coats hired a guy for the peaks and the piece on the back roof. Getting to old for the roof as I don't bounce well anymore
Old 10-11-2017, 09:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddock View Post
This is my second new build home in FL. The first home lasted 8 years before a repaint.

My house paint here started failing within 3 years and now 2 years later looks awful.

I was told by the original painter/ supplier that it failed because they have to paint before the stucco has cured. Village rules to keep the house build 60 days or so.

When I called Home Warranty they told me the builder paint needs to be redone after 2-3 years. BS if I have ever heard it.

If you had to paint your house every 2-3 years, after 15 years you wouldn’t see the stucco texture anymore. It would look like real $hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2017, 10:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

I painted my CYV for about 400 bucks and I used the expensive paint, S&W. I rolled it on, I didn't want to pay for the watered down spray job for 5k. That included corner lot wall inside and out.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:

Probably spray'ed it on with cheap paint and watered it down to rake in more profit?
Old 10-12-2017, 05:54 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I painted my CYV for about 400 bucks and I used the expensive paint, S&W. I rolled it on, I didn't want to pay for the watered down spray job for 5k. That included corner lot wall inside and out.
My husband refuses to spray paint also. He always rolls it on.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:41 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
New stucco should be painted with Loxon the first time. This coating is made to apply to GREEN stucco, I've used it for over 20 years on new construction, such as Walgreens, Taco Bells, Strip Malls ETC.
Loxon is a finish paint but it fades in 3 to 5 years. Your painter is right about the new construction time lines. All exterior paint should be back rolled so that it will weather evenly and to insure proper millage. IPC Rolls all houses in the villages. Len the retired half of the company.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:13 AM
Default Get another estimate

I don't know how large your home is, but we just had ours repainted (2 coats......rolled on) for under $2,000. Give Oscar's Quality Painting a call 352-361-4414.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:03 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiotte View Post
if you had to paint your house every 2-3 years, after 15 years you wouldn’t see the stucco texture anymore. It would look like real $hit.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
say what ????
Old 10-16-2017, 02:39 PM

I painted my stucco house after it was one year old with Anchor Paint. That was 16 years ago, but now time to paint it again.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl boomer View Post
I don't know how large your home is, but we just had ours repainted (2 coats......rolled on) for under $2,000. Give Oscar's Quality Painting a call 352-361-4414.
My neighbor just had Oscar's paint his home exterior. It is a Gardenia and Oscar charged $2000 for 2 coats rolled on Sherwin Williams paint. He used a satin finish and the home looks beautiful.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Oscars has done quite a few houses on our street and everyone is extremely happy getting a quote from them in the next couple weeks. Sadly we have a brownish color roof and not sure what color were painting this time. Right now it’s that pinkish beige really would like to go to with a gray but not sure how it’s gonna look with the roof
Old 10-17-2017, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Oscars has done quite a few houses on our street and everyone is extremely happy getting a quote from them in the next couple weeks. Sadly we have a brownish color roof and not sure what color were painting this time. Right now it’s that pinkish beige really would like to go to with a gray but not sure how it’s gonna look with the roof
Not sure of your CDD restrictions, but in ours, we need to get ARC approval for any change from the original house color.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:39 PM

Have a LILY....stucco....built at end of 2012. I was bored last year and painted the house myself. Rolled on 2 coats.....with doing trim and all prep work...used 5 gallons of paint and done in 3 days. Used a paint stick and worked nicely. Have used them before. Total cost for all materials was $200.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Not sure of your CDD restrictions, but in ours, we need to get ARC approval for any change from the original house color.
Nope went to warranty dept, they have multiple boards of multiple colors that are approved for us to pick from. Then there’s the multiple colors of trim. If you choose a color that is not on the approved list you must Apply for an approval. Not one house on our street painted the same color.
Closed Thread

Tags
years, paint, house, home, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.