EZ pass and Sunpass

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2021, 06:25 PM
Default EZ pass and Sunpass

I have an old EZ pass transponder that I used when I traveled to New England. That transponder is around 10 yrs old.

I also bought a Sunpass when I moved to tv to travel Florida toll roads.

I understand that EZ pass now is accepted in Florida.

Do I need a new EZ pass transponder for Florida toll roads?
Old 06-19-2021, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misky1951 View Post
I have an old EZ pass transponder that I used when I traveled to New England. That transponder is around 10 yrs old.

I also bought a Sunpass when I moved to tv to travel Florida toll roads.

I understand that EZ pass now is accepted in Florida.

Do I need a new EZ pass transponder for Florida toll roads?
No, your SunPass will work on all Florida toll roads.

Your E-ZPass is supposed to work on all the roads though in another thread there were reports that the system isn't totally up and running yet. Also, at 10 years old I wonder if the battery has run down.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-19-2021, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,903 Times in 915 Posts

We have both as we live in MA. We only use SunPass down here.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:31 PM

I read a comment on the SunPass site that if you have both you should put one in a special blocking bag to avoid a double charge.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:48 AM
Veteran member

I don't think EZ pass works in Florida, I believe in Florida you can use E Pass and SunPass, which is very different than EZ pass.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:51 AM
Veteran member
Default Sun Pass Pro

You can now purchase a Sun Pass Pro transponder which is accepted by both Sun Pass and EZ Pass. They are sold at the rest stops on the Florida turnpike, Walgreens and Publix here in Florida. Note that a location may not have it in inventory, so you might have to check around. We didn’t find it in a Walgreens location, but bought ours at Publix on Wedgewood Lane. And yes, it works great.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:53 AM
Veteran member

EZ Pass is now accepted in FL. This was a recent change.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:15 AM
DAIII

get E-PASS (not EZ) - it works in 18 states (I imagine those 18 are the only states with tolls)

https://www.cfxway.com/

buy from central florida expressway or amazon then activate on the above website - it's 18.95 on either site.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:30 AM
Default Surpass Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
You can now purchase a Sun Pass Pro transponder which is accepted by both Sun Pass and EZ Pass. They are sold at the rest stops on the Florida turnpike, Walgreens and Publix here in Florida. Note that a location may not have it in inventory, so you might have to check around. We didn’t find it in a Walgreens location, but bought ours at Publix on Wedgewood Lane. And yes, it works great.
My Sunpass Pro is accepted in Pennsylvania on EZPass roads. I checked my SunPass account and the PA charges were posted. Cannot verify if my PA EZPass transponders work on all Fla roads. I needed both accounts before the SunPass Pro was accepted in EZPass states. I plan to order a SunPass Pro for our second car and drop the EZPass.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

This whole Sunpass, E-Pass, E-ZPass, Uni, and Pro thing is confusing. Here is what I've been able to find.

E-ZPass is a northeast system. It works in New England and down through Virginia. Florida toll roads have just recently begun accepting E-ZPass but there are reports that it is still not completely working.

E-Pass is the system established by the Central Florida Expressway Authority which is based in Orlando.

Sunpass is the system established by the Florida DoT based in Tallahassee.

The different transponders:

E-ZPass: New England through Virginia. Toll roads in Florida are converting to accept this but may not all be ready yet.

E-Pass: FL, GA, NC

E-Pass Uni (used to be E-Pass-Extra): E-Pass states + E-ZPass states all in one transponder

Sunpass: FL, GA, NC

Sunpass Pro: Sunpass states + E-ZPass states all in one transponder.

Sunpass Pro or E-Pass Uni? They seem to be the same price ($14.95) and cover the same area. They are issued by different Florida Authorities. Here is a 2019 article which discusses this question.

I have an E-ZPass from my previous residence and purchased a Sunpass here. I will continue using both until I decide to break down and buy a dual transponder. I will probably go with the Sunpass Pro only because I already have a Sunpass account.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-20-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
I don't think EZ pass works in Florida, I believe in Florida you can use E Pass and SunPass, which is very different than EZ pass.
Your info is out of date. EZ Pass does now work on many FL toll roads.

Last edited by Homer49; 06-20-2021 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
Correct. About $15 to purchase the pro. Can reg for up to 5 cars. Your old sun pass will not work for EZ Pass roads.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:56 AM
Veteran member
Lightbulb Sun Pass also works on EZ Pass Highways in Fl, BUT Word of caution!

Yes Sun Pass also works on EZ Pass Highways in Fl, BUT a Word of caution!

In Fl your license plate is only good for 10 yrs and then you are required to get a new plate and number. However, you Sunpass account is tied to your Fl Plate number and you will start getting Unpaid Toll notices with photos of your new plate if you weren't aware enough to update your sunpass account with your new plate # (My experience). I think they give you 30 days (don't quote me on the #) or so to go back and update your profile with the Plate number and date you acquired it so you don't have to pay the additional fee after you file a complaint (believe me your a lot better off doing this before you get the unpaid toll notices). However there is one more glitch. The glitch is that EZ pay unpaid toll notices don't accept the back update of license plates on SUNPASS and you will still have to send EZPAY a check for the unpaid tolls. You would think the DMV would give you a hint you had to do this but I think that is really a lot to ask.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
No, your SunPass will work on all Florida toll roads.

Your E-ZPass is supposed to work on all the roads though in another thread there were reports that the system isn't totally up and running yet.
Also, at 10 years old I wonder if the battery has run down.
My Transporter is over 12 years old and it's still working...
Old 06-20-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAIII View Post
get E-PASS (not EZ) - it works in 18 states (I imagine those 18 are the only states with tolls)

https://www.cfxway.com/

buy from central florida expressway or amazon then activate on the above website - it's 18.95 on either site.
I ordered a Uni (E Pass) on Wed from Amazon. It arrived on Friday. I terminated my Sun Pass. So happy not to have 2 transponders.
Closed Thread

Tags
pass, florida, transponder, toll, roads

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.