Failing Storm Sewers

Closed Thread
Old 09-08-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Substandard materials and substandard workmanship on the storm sewers just like the roads here; BV, 446, 466a - all the main roads - are really starting to loose that 1" top layer of asphalt and the repair asphalt that is being put in those areas doesn't appear to be much better.
I agree 100%. I expressed my opinion to the FDOT (Florida Highways) about the condition of the nearly new 301 improvement between Oxford and Wild Wood. In my career, I also supervised miles of resurfacing using a asphalt mixture. In my 38 years of active working, this has to be the worse resurfacing project I have ever seen. If I had supervised a project this bad, I would have been fired. If you travel this section of highway. make sure your seat belt is fastened.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There was a break south of 466A last week and now we have panic.

I am so tired of pot stirring...everywhere...
Have you been away or what. We now have Villagers being lodged at a local motel (paid by Sumter County) while their front yards are being excavated.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
Have you been away or what. We now have Villagers being lodged at a local motel (paid by Sumter County) while their front yards are being excavated.
Read post 14.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Winifred is not new by any means and the sewer system installation was done by the county. It broke its being fixed and the people are being put up at the County’s expense. Stuff happen
Old 09-08-2018, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Winifred is not new by any means and the sewer system installation was done by the county. It broke its being fixed and the people are being put up at the County’s expense. Stuff happen
So it's different than the other CDD's and wasn't built by the developer...then sold?

Link/proof?
Old 09-09-2018, 07:29 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Things do happen, but it is repairable and nobody was hurt.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

A very notable difference with the "underground" throughout TV is that the base is little more than compacted sand. Brought in by the truckload to establish a specified level.

And we all know what happens to sand....yes even compacted sand when exposed to ANY flow rate of water.

In my humble opinion.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Let's get your post corrected. The county does not install the original storm sewers. How can a storm sewer be fixed when it is being fixed ?? Also and important, It it being done at the County's expense, but the "County" is YOU !! It is your tax money !!
Old 09-09-2018, 01:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Good Source

I understand the water pipes broke and nothing was done quickly so the water leaked and set up a "sink hole" which they are now trying to fix. As you can see it was able to spread to a few attached property possibly because of the delay?. There was a similar problem in Winifred and they tackled it right away and it did not cause a sink hole. It goes to show if a problem is not handled promptly it can lead to bigger problems . Of course another question is "why 2 water breaks within the same Village in such a short time"?
Old 09-09-2018, 02:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
Let's get your post corrected. The county does not install the original storm sewers. How can a storm sewer be fixed when it is being fixed ?? Also and important, It it being done at the County's expense, but the "County" is YOU !! It is your tax money !!
Stuff happens, it's being taken care of that's all that matters.Don't know where you lived but we had quite a few water main breaks on LI & NY City. At least the people are being put up regardless of whose paying for it!
FYI if it's a 6" main 800 GPM flow , 8" 1600 GPM flow at minimum of 50 PSI so it doesn't take long for a mess to be made. Probably a minimum of 1/2 hr. for someone to come out and then shut the main down. So think of how much water flowed before it was shut down.

Last edited by skip0358; 09-09-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Stuff happens, it's being taken care of that's all that matters.Don't know where you lived but we had quite a few water main breaks on LI & NY City. At least the people are being put up regardless of whose paying for it!
FYI if it's a 6" main 800 GPM flow , 8" 1600 GPM flow at minimum of 50 PSI so it doesn't take long for a mess to be made. Probably a minimum of 1/2 hr. for someone to come out and then shut the main down. So think of how much water flowed before it was shut down
You seem to be totally confused.

First you said the county built it...which isn't true.

Then you talk about water mains (water pressure)...when this issue is simply a storm drain.

There are already some articles you can find with a Google search, that explains what happened and the timeline...if you want to get up to speed and understand the facts.

As for who's paying for it, our taxes are paying for what was built by the developer (then sold)...that has obviously failed decades prematurely.

I, for one...don't think that's OK.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 09-09-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I can't recall seeing any sand being brought in here. A lot of us get a kick out of watching the construction of big areas.

I don't think it is because the developer didn't do it right or Rainey either.

I don't think this is a huge issue. I think it is summer and the rains came. And there is substrata that shifts and collapses.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I can't recall seeing any sand being brought in here. A lot of us get a kick out of watching the construction of big areas.

I don't think it is because the developer didn't do it right or Rainey either.

I don't think this is a huge issue. I think it is summer and the rains came. And there is substrata that shifts and collapses.
Yes, yes and yes!!
Old 09-09-2018, 08:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
You seem to be totally confused.

First you said the county built it...which isn't true.

Then you talk about water mains (water pressure)...when this issue is simply a storm drain.

There are already some articles you can find with a Google search, that explains what happened and the timeline...if you want to get up to speed and understand the facts.

As for who's paying for it, our taxes are paying for what was built by the developer (then sold)...that has obviously failed decades prematurely.

I, for one...don't think that's OK.
So what's your solution?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-10-2018, 05:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
So what's your solution?
1. Contract with a nationally recognized engineering firm that is not beholden to the county or developer...to investigate the mode of failure.

2. If shoddy engineering/workmanship/materials is found to be the cause, take legal action against the entity that built it and make them pay for the repairs...not tax money.

3. Start internal inspections on other storm drain systems sharing the same characteristics...of the ones that have already failed.
Closed Thread

Tags
storm, years, sewers, systems, sewer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.