Far from Brownwood

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
SkyGuy: It is my understanding that anyone who built above Mallory was required to go to the Brownwood Square
Was required? Why would all those above Mallory be told to go to an empty lot to have a good time? Aah... never mind. I can picture what you're thinking, you naughty boy!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
I did a little checking, using Google Earth measurements, to try and find more accurately where the center of The Villages is. The points given so far didn't sound right to me. What I found is that it's impossible to guess the exact center of The Villages unless it's done mathematically by engineers, and that's because the longitude & latitude distances from north to south and east to west are all variable depending on at what point they're taken.

The best I could figure out is that north to south, the center would range from Lake Sumter Landing to a point in Virginia Trace at about Canal St and Haynesville Lane. That's almost 5K from the north and another 5K from the south. The variable is because the Villages bottom longitude is angled from east to west. (Forget the east to west center point because of the extensive longitude variations) You can see the variations heading from Brownwood eastward to the eastern end of Rt. 44 in the Sumter master plan of the Villages. http://www.sumtercountyfl.gov/Docume....aspx?DID=3350 (PDF Document)

If you find my figures are off, my name is Jose Schwartz and I live in Alaska!
jrheydt
Senior Member Join Date: Jun 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315
Well, as Swimdawg pointed out, Hemingway will eventually be the exact center of TV

When we bought our house in Poinciana we were told that the center of the Villages is the historic house on Buena Vista at the circle with Bonita. When I drive to Mulberry from my house it's about 8.5 miles. I believe Brownwood will be about 6 miles.

John

When looking at the map, I think jrheydt is more accurate. The Liberty Park Preserve appears to be dead center which would be closest to the historic house. When we purchased our first home in Liberty Park, we also were told we would be "almost' dead center in The Villages once built out.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflopz View Post
When looking at the map, I think jrheydt is more accurate. The Liberty Park Preserve appears to be dead center which would be closest to the historic house. When we purchased our first home in Liberty Park, we also were told we would be "almost' dead center in The Villages once built out.
You think? Well, I went back to the Google Earth map and measured from the historic house to the northern end of Buena Vista then measured from the historic house down to the entrance of Brownwood and this time I measured in miles instead of kilometers. From the historic house the distance to Rt. 44 was 7.2 miles and the distance to Brownwood was 3.38 miles. 7.2 miles = 3.38 miles?

Now to back that up I also did a Google Map layout. The results were 8.7 driving miles from the historic house to the northern end of Buena Vista and 3.8 miles to Brownwood. Again... 8.7 miles does not equal 3.8 miles. Even on this map it doesn't even look close.

Rt. 42 to Historic House to Brownwood via Buena Vista Blvd - Google Maps

So, why the BOLD RED print?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=skyguy79;475798]You think? Well, I went back to the Google Earth map and measured from the historic house to the northern end of Buena Vista then measured from the historic house down to the entrance of Brownwood and this time I measured in miles instead of kilometers. From the historic house the distance to Rt. 44 was 7.2 miles and the distance to Brownwood was 3.38 miles. 7.2 miles = 3.38 miles?

Now to back that up I also did a Google Map layout. The results were 8.7 driving miles from the historic house to the northern end of Buena Vista and 3.8 miles to Brownwood. Again... 8.7 miles does not equal 3.8 miles. Even on this map it doesn't even look close.

It cannot be 3.8 miles from the historic house to Brownwood. It is 6 miles from my house in Hemingway.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Skyguy...I am speechless and almost in tears. I didn't mean to offend you and I sincerely apology.

I said, "looking at the map" it appears....then I went on to say what I was told when we built in Liberty Park.

I only used red bold type because I had copied two quotes and wasn't sure anyone would know what I was writing unless I made my font a different color. I guess red was a bad choice.

Again, I am so sorry.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Sage

I give up. Could someone please 'splain to me the significance of "the exact center" of TV. Why are so many looking for it and why do so many think they've found it?

Is there a hidden treasure buried there? The fountain of youth? An immunity idol?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
It cannot be 3.8 miles from the historic house to Brownwood. It is 6 miles from my house in Hemingway.
Don't argue with me! It's not my figures, it's Google's! Argue with them if it's that important to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
I give up. Could someone please 'splain to me the significance of "the exact center" of TV. Why are so many looking for it and why do so many think they've found it?

Is there a hidden treasure buried there? The fountain of youth? An immunity idol?
P, there is no real significance in "the exact center" of TV. I only got involved myself in this because I saw multiple opinions about the center that I thought was obviously wrong. I then checked to see if I was correct, and in finding I was, simply presented my opinion along with some figures that proved it to me while checking. I thought that would be the end of it unless my figures were incorrect. I even joked about that possibility at the end of my post!

However, it continued when I got challenged with an indication I was wrong. So I simply checking myself out, then posted more information and proof that made the confirmation for the second and third times. Even then I was still doubted!

Anyway, I guess this whole thing was my fault for simply wanting to do something that few people ever do, and that's provide an opinion and check out first that it's accurate before presenting it. I guess in the future I'd be better off by just presenting opinions and not care or bother to check facts first where it's possible!

Last edited by skyguy79; 05-02-2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Removed a quote and reply for personal reasons!
Old 04-06-2012, 05:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post

I guess in the future I'd be better off by just presenting opinions and not care or bother to check facts first where it's possible!
Right on ! ! ! That's what most do ! ! !
Old 04-06-2012, 06:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

I think that it means we have time on our hands. I think we all agree that The Villages is the center of the universe, previously that was in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Now that I think of it, the center of the Universe is now in Athens, Ohio where both of our grandchildren go to school.

But back to your question P, I have heard so many posts over the years about the center of TV and most came from people who just moved into their new village and believed that they were centrally located.

I think that if we wanted to know, we could take out our Villages map and fold it twice and look for where the two folds intersect.

Gracie.

P.S. Where in the world is Carmen Santiago? Is she in the Village of Santiago?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think that if we wanted to know, we could take out our Villages map and fold it twice and look for where the two folds intersect.

Gracie.
Now there's an idea! Where the map is printed on both sides, people have a choice of centers! Choices are good!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default Is this a contest or something that I missed?

Quote:

If I figure it out, would I win a chocolate ice cream cone...waffle cone preferred, of course.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:

Well obviously, The Villages is the Center of the Universe, so then, finding the exact center of The Villages makes sense on a world scale.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Swimdawg,
Thanks for the explaniation. BTW, I know very well where Wheatfield is. I grew up in the 14001 (Akron)!
Glad to give the explanation!

Akron....very nice area. Beautiful here this time of year....but a little chilly.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

My guess is that there is an "Immunity Idol" buried in the exact geographical center of The Villages!! Once found and turned into Sumter County for verification, your bond balance will be nollied and you will not have to pay taxes on your home ever again.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:41 AM

Rubicon: You can go to any town square you please no matter where you live. I live in Tall Trees and I visit equally Spanish Springs and Lake Sumter Landing. I will even go to Brownwood to check it out.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.