Water on the lanai

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2011, 07:08 PM
Default Water on the lanai

Anyone else have a problem with rain blowing thru the screens and pooling in the lanai? It seems to be worse now that we have tiled the floor. Possibly it seeped under the bottom aluminum rail before, but now is dammed by the rail. I'm thinking about removing that bottom rail and instead installing flat aluminum stock (1/4" thick by 2" wide) with the screen tucked under so that the tile will now be slightly higher than the new aluminum, allowing the water to flow out. Any thoughts (other than windows)? Thanks! Unfortunately I can't try my "fix" until January when I return.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati1974 View Post
Anyone else have a problem with rain blowing thru the screens and pooling in the lanai? It seems to be worse now that we have tiled the floor. Possibly it seeped under the bottom aluminum rail before, but now is dammed by the rail. I'm thinking about removing that bottom rail and instead installing flat aluminum stock (1/4" thick by 2" wide) with the screen tucked under so that the tile will now be slightly higher than the new aluminum, allowing the water to flow out. Any thoughts (other than windows)? Thanks! Unfortunately I can't try my "fix" until January when I return.
Here might be an easier solution-
http://www.ezlanaidrain.com/E-Z_Lana...s/Welcome.html

Just Google lanai drains, there are other solutions.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:25 PM

Bogie shooter- I think I'll promote you to Birdie shooter! Thanks for the info. I've checked out that lanai drain and my only problem is that now that the floor is tiled the aluminum is only about 1/2-5/8" high on the inside so I don't think their covers will work unless I just make a slot on the inside and install the covers on the outside where the aluminum is still 1" high. At any rate I have sent them an email for more info/advise. Thanks again!
Old 08-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Veteran member

My husband drilled holes in the aluminum at floor level so it would drain out.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:30 AM
Platinum member

I wonder what keeps water and critters from collecting inside the channel itself. You cut the holes all the way through the channel, but you only put a screen on the inside. That leaves the outside open to critters coming in and the water may not go al the way out, but may collect inside the channel.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-28-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
I wonder what keeps water and critters from collecting inside the channel itself. You cut the holes all the way through the channel, but you only put a screen on the inside. That leaves the outside open to critters coming in and the water may not go al the way out, but may collect inside the channel.
I wondered about the water sitting inside the channel too, possibly causing mildew or? In my case I'd have to put the screen on the outside because the channel is no longer the full height on the inside. At least I wouldn't have the critter problem.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Platinum member

Looked at their website but no where does it tell where to purchase them or how much they cost. Anybody know?
Old 08-28-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
Looked at their website but no where does it tell where to purchase them or how much they cost. Anybody know?
I sent them an email, I'll post when they reply.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
I finally found the card that a neighbor gave to me after she had lanai drains installed by a guy here in TV.
With all the delete not delete discussion going, I will PM you with the telephone number. (Don't want to upset anybody)
Old 08-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Platinum member

Thanks... I contacted the info per their website but it didn't seem to take it.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Default sounds like a good product

has anyone used these drains, how did you like them and where can we get them?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Sage

My neighbor had this guy install a similiar drain on her lanai, she seems to think they are working. Other than that I know nothing about this man other than he is a Villager.
BJ's Service
352-259-2744 or 352-454-6448
Free Demonstration.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:05 AM

Does anyone have the information and contact numbers for this person who installs lanai drains? Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Gold member

Quote:
I wondered about the water sitting inside the channel too, possibly causing mildew or? In my case I'd have to put the screen on the outside because the channel is no longer the full height on the inside. At least I wouldn't have the critter problem.
What looks like a box channel is probably open on the bottom, so draining is not an issue. That's the way the screen frames are made for our condo down south. No reason to believe that The Villages builders use anything else.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Here might be an easier solution-
E-Z Lanai Drains

Just Google lanai drains, there are other solutions.
Our neighbor had a little screened thing inserted into her bottom metal support. Sweetie was telling me about it. This might be what it is.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.