February POA Bulletin - Axe to Grind

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
The fact that one is capable of seeing the good, the bad and the ugly does not mean they don't love living here. Some are more realistic than others and wish to confront an issue head on rather than burying their head in the sand.
Agree. I don't like the "If you don't like something, move" sentiment. I prefer the "If you don't like something, help it improve" theory.

I did read the Town Hall section of the VHA. My thought is that some of their answers are evasive. Maybe the POA comes on a little too strong at times, but I think there is a need to have them be a strong presence in TV. The OC shingles issue is a good example of that. JT's answer to the shingles question left a lot out, such as the fact that OC will now no longer pay for replacing the shingles.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Agree. I don't like the "If you don't like something, move" sentiment. I prefer the "If you don't like something, help it improve" theory.

I did read the Town Hall section of the VHA. My thought is that some of their answers are evasive. Maybe the POA comes on a little too strong at times, but I think there is a need to have them be a strong presence in TV. The OC shingles issue is a good example of that. JT's answer to the shingles question left a lot out, such as the fact that OC will now no longer pay for replacing the shingles.

It is hearing sometimes differing opinions from people that I trust and respect on this forum that sometimes makes me rethink my position.

I have listened now to several of you who I completely look up to and I wlll keep an open mind about the POA's bulletin..

You are right. It did appear as if Owens Corning is still fixing roofs on their dime as reported in The Village Voice. I will contact Owens Corning and ask.

I am old and stubborn but not completely unworkable. I like a presentation of facts without rancor. It works better for me.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It is hearing sometimes differing opinions from people that I trust and respect on this forum that sometimes makes me rethink my position.

I have listened now to several of you who I completely look up to and I wlll keep an open mind about the POA's bulletin..

You are right. It did appear as if Owens Corning is still fixing roofs on their dime as reported in The Village Voice. I will contact Owens Corning and ask.

I am old and stubborn but not completely unworkable. I like a presentation of facts without rancor. It works better for me.
You are young at heart and not stubborn, that's for sure. I do think we need both associations, and our family supports them both. But I lean toward the POA to dig for facts when the powers that be become a little evasive. JMO
Old 02-04-2014, 10:13 AM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Could be that the POA appears negative because everyone runs the the POA when there is a serious problem or they need help with an issue they cannot get resolved any other way.

At least they will address the tough issues and we would all be in trouble if there was nowhere to get help when needed and were left to the mercy of the developer.

Checks and balances are all important. It should not have taken a lawsuit to get the funds added to the amenity funds but since it did it speaks volumes and shows there is a true need for the POA.

Just read the VHA newsletter tonight and everything brought up was pushed off as being the responsibility of the Sumter road department with no offer to work with them to get anything done about anything. What good is that?

You don't have to not love to live here to be able see a problem when one develops and be willing to address it. No place is perfect including the Villages. It's no one's right to ask anyone why they want to live here as long as they pay the price required to do so. Don't like the POA, don't read their bulletin.

Why would anyone want to write a negative post bashing the POA and complaining about the POA being negative??

Great post. I think it's important to know what's really going on in TV. You will certainly not get it from the Daily Sun. What's so negative about printing the truth about golf cart accidents or faulty shingles? The campaign for seat belts in golf carts is a public service. I now have them in my golf cart because of the POA articles.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default seat belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
If anything they are saying about shingles, lawsuits, insurance, etc. is untrue, then the POA should be taken to task for it. If what they say is true, then we have a right as informed citizens to know it.
As for the golf cart accidents, clearly they are trying to encourage all of us to install and use seat belts in order to save lives. I agree with that.
I agree the POA is pushing safety belts and that is okay by me. Again, Iam repeating myself (but so are others) I like "check and balances". The VHA and Daily Sun rarely present the "other side" of anything so to me it's good to get the "other story"---Wheather you agree or disagree.

Safety belts may be something all can agree is an okay thing. Making them mandatory is another story.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Sage

Seeing the comments above, I did not communicate my point well at all.

I would be the first to agree, and have done so dozens of times on this board, that the matters of cart seat belts needed because of ejections, and the other issues on the front page NEED to be discussed and published. I'm not a sugar-coater at all and certainly don't bury my head in the sand as some accused.

What upset me looking at the front page was its tabloid, sensationalized layout. I said it before and I'll say it here:

They are scaring newcomers and new buyers into thinking they bought into a really sleazy operation. And that is NOT the case.

It's the print layout....giant print, red print underscored, and front-page billing that says "the sky is falling.....the sky is falling"....
Old 02-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Seeing the comments above, I did not communicate my point well at all.

I would be the first to agree, and have done so dozens of times on this board, that the matters of cart seat belts needed because of ejections, and the other issues on the front page NEED to be discussed and published. I'm not a sugar-coater at all and certainly don't bury my head in the sand as some accused.

What upset me looking at the front page was its tabloid, sensationalized layout. I said it before and I'll say it here:

They are scaring newcomers and new buyers into thinking they bought into a really sleazy operation. And that is NOT the case.

It's the print layout....giant print, red print underscored, and front-page billing that says "the sky is falling.....the sky is falling"....
My first impression as well.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Veteran member

What's POA? I did a search on this site and nothing was returned.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXNana View Post
What's POA? I did a search on this site and nothing was returned.
Property Owners, Association of Florida
Old 02-04-2014, 01:01 PM

How many new comers really see the POA (unless they renting)? I would think many more people would read about these things on this board.

Now, the "tone" of the stories is something else. Many papers are sensationalized on the front page to sell papers and get you attention.

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

Senior Firearms Instructor,
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
Glynco, GA
Old 02-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Could be that the POA appears negative because everyone runs the the POA when there is a serious problem or they need help with an issue they cannot get resolved any other way.

At least they will address the tough issues and we would all be in trouble if there was nowhere to get help when needed and were left to the mercy of the developer.

Checks and balances are all important. It should not have taken a lawsuit to get the funds added to the amenity funds but since it did it speaks volumes and shows there is a true need for the POA.

Just read the VHA newsletter tonight and everything brought up was pushed off as being the responsibility of the Sumter road department with no offer to work with them to get anything done about anything. What good is that?

You don't have to not love to live here to be able see a problem when one develops and be willing to address it. No place is perfect including the Villages. It's no one's right to ask anyone why they want to live here as long as they pay the price required to do so. Don't like the POA, don't read their bulletin.

Why would anyone want to write a negative post bashing the POA and complaining about the POA being negative??
Well said.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Veteran member

There are some people who beleive morse can do no wrong, well maybe puting up a brick wall at 2am so our own citizens couldn't get home from their jobs was just an oversight i guess. The poa has saved residents millions of dollars and just reports the truth. The hoa has lots of useless info if you have been a resident for a while. Their next meeting will address the insurence liability if you injure someone else. You may get a letter from morgan and morgan so it should be a good meeting.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I can't see why anyone would try to put down Gary Morse.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-nut2 View Post
How many new comers really see the POA (unless they renting)? I would think many more people would read about these things on this board.

Now, the "tone" of the stories is something else. Many papers are sensationalized on the front page to sell papers and get you attention.
How many newcomers and new buyers really see the POA? ALL of them see it, because it is dropped in all driveways!!

If I see a supermarket tabloid cover full of "reporting" that is out to trash somebody well-known, I don't have to buy that rag. But with the POA Bulletin, it just shows up in our driveway, unrequested.

Here's what they say on Page 3 of the current issue linked below:

"We put a Bulletin on almost every drive-way in The Villages every month at a cost of $105,000 per year."

Clearly, they want all newcomers and new buyers to see and adopt their continued outcry against their villain, the developer, even when he's done and continues to do the corrective measures they sued him for, and the improvements are made.

While the POA's positions on issues are usually accurate, I do not agree with the tactics used, to scare people into thinking they bought into something sleezy and sinister, when buying a place here and moving is more than stressful enough.

http://poa4us.org/bulletins_files/bulletin201402.pdf
Old 02-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Gold member

The VHA and Mr Gottschalk have not handled the issue of problem roofs in a proper way. They have minimized the problem and failed to notify homeowners when they learned of the damaged material, which extends way beyond their definition of isolated cases. They and the Warranty Dept. seem to be in bed with Owens Corning and many Homeowners were given the short Shrift and are stuck with damaged roofs which OC will not fix. Without the help of the POA threatening a Class Action lawsuit, homeowners will be out the cost of a new roof. The article explains it well and while some of the info in this paper may be perceived as negative, if you were one of the affected homeowners you may feel different.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.