Fences and Puppers

Old 03-28-2024, 04:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
I came from a house with a fenced in back & front & my dogs were able to run around outside freely. I was initially looking at fenced properties in the Villages, but eventually decided to buy a regular house & walk the dogs.

Your decisions will probably be different than mine, but I too didn't like the idea sharing walls with the next door neighbors. Hence, the eventual decision for a regular house.

It seems to me your last sentence rules out courtyard villas.
Note that the only walls that courtyard villa neighbors share are the fences and block walls at the rear of the lot. They do not share any house walls. Each courtyard villa owner has access to 4 sides of their house. This is not like zero lot line construction, where an owner only has access to 3 sides of the house. No wall sharing.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:56 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
I came from a house with a fenced in back & front & my dogs were able to run around outside freely. I was initially looking at fenced properties in the Villages, but eventually decided to buy a regular house & walk the dogs.

Your decisions will probably be different than mine, but I too didn't like the idea sharing walls with the next door neighbors. Hence, the eventual decision for a regular house.

It seems to me your last sentence rules out courtyard villas.
The corner lot villas are set up differently and often do not need to share access.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:56 PM

Sorry. got to ask. what are Puppers?
another name for dogs or a breed of dog.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
You have one other problem you have not considered, Florida has predators and your dogs may not be safe unattended even in a fenced or walled yard. We have cats, they are allowed in the glassed lanai, and in the screened in birdcage during daylight hours, after that they are restricted to the house and the lanai.

If your plan is to allow the dogs access any time they want and you have a smaller dog, TV may not be a good choice, actually Florida may not be a good choice. Please do some additional research.
Thank you (and others) for the concern. Hubby and I have been Florida residents for nearly 40 years; we are well-versed in the hazards.

What would prevent us from, say, putting up a cross-fence (or even a baby gate) in a walled Courtyard villa? Dogs would have access to the majority of the yard, but neighbors would be able to freely access their "border" wall without releasing my Kraken into the world unintentionally.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:29 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumaduke View Post
Thank you (and others) for the concern. Hubby and I have been Florida residents for nearly 40 years; we are well-versed in the hazards.

What would prevent us from, say, putting up a cross-fence (or even a baby gate) in a walled Courtyard villa? Dogs would have access to the majority of the yard, but neighbors would be able to freely access their "border" wall without releasing my Kraken into the world unintentionally.
They very rarely (if ever) need access and should notify you if necessary. They need to go through your driveway to access their own gate. You can actually put a lock on yours as long as you give them access when requested.

Last edited by oldtimes; 03-28-2024 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
This begs another question ... if a fence is already installed, can I reinforce it in any way to keep my pups in? I have a 10-pound pipsqueak who can't jump a 4' fence but can certainly scurry out between the slats. Would I be able to do something like attach chicken wire to the slats, and maybe paint the wire green or black so as to make it inconspicuous?
I have two 85 pound Labradors and I would not let them in the yard alone, due to the predators. At home, we had a fenced yard and they roamed free.
What you should consider is a lot that lows a larger birdcage, put the pups out in the birdcage. They love it.

It’s also too hot in the summer for dogs to be outside.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:36 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Would I be able to do something like attach chicken wire to the slats, and maybe paint the wire green or black so as to make it inconspicuous?
Oh boy

Old 03-28-2024, 09:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
And one wall of the house next door is the wall of your yard. That, by definition, is zero-lot. A wall of YOUR house - is a wall shared by your neighbor. Not the wall around the house, the wall of the house itself.
My restrictions in my district.

That wall is not shared it NOT neighbors property, nothing can attach or touch that wall. It damaged they are liable. They 1 foot area along wall for drainage. If anything planted there and it damages wall/foundation including paint they are liable, why developers have easements corky way the jammed housing in. Same thing goes for front door area easements nothing can touch there house or within foot of there house.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:28 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
You have one other problem you have not considered, Florida has predators and your dogs may not be safe unattended even in a fenced or walled yard. We have cats, they are allowed in the glassed lanai, and in the screened in birdcage during daylight hours, after that they are restricted to the house and the lanai.

If your plan is to allow the dogs access any time they want and you have a smaller dog, TV may not be a good choice, actually Florida may not be a good choice. Please do some additional research.
Yes, there are many birds of prey here that can take a small dog out of your yard in a flash.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
We bought a grassed corner lot courtyard villa so that our dogs would have a secure area where they can run and play. They are hard to find but available if you just keep looking. Most also have a 2 car garage which is a huge bonus.
Bingo.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
I have two 85 pound Labradors and I would not let them in the yard alone, due to the predators. At home, we had a fenced yard and they roamed free.
What you should consider is a lot that lows a larger birdcage, put the pups out in the birdcage. They love it.

It’s also too hot in the summer for dogs to be outside.
Bingo again. Larger Corner courtyard villa lot with a birdcage for the safety of the pups. Problem solved
Old 03-29-2024, 04:58 AM

Quote:
This begs another question ... if a fence is already installed, can I reinforce it in any way to keep my pups in? I have a 10-pound pipsqueak who can't jump a 4' fence but can certainly scurry out between the slats. Would I be able to do something like attach chicken wire to the slats, and maybe paint the wire green or black so as to make it inconspicuous?
Firm no. But if no one complains, it can be done. The risk is you could be asked to remove it.

Garden City, Long Island, NY
West Islip, Long Island, NY
Village of Citrus Grove (2021)
Village of Newell (2023)
Old 03-29-2024, 05:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Greetings everyone, my husband and I are considering a move to TV within the next few years. However, we have two requirements that I fear are diametrically opposed and may short-circuit our quest to ever become frogs.

Is there any area in TV where we might find a lot with a fenced-in back yard (for dogs) but does NOT utilize zero-lot-line construction for the home?

We are not willing to cave on either of these requirements. Our dogs are currently free-roaming on large acreage in the middle of nowhere, so a secure fence is paramount. We are also not comfortable with anyone else having any claim to access our property (nor with us needing to exercise the claim to access theirs).
I’m sorry, but if your dogs are “free-roaming on large acreage in the middle of nowhere,” The Villages is probably not a good fit for you. There are a lot of homes within an hour of The Villages that have the same weather but also have 1-5 acre lots that either are fenced or can be fenced. What’s more, these houses are often larger and less expensive per square foot than homes in The Villages. Of course, you would miss out on all the activities here, but in life we have to make choices. Don’t buy a house here expecting that you will be able to convince the Architectural Review Committee to let you put up a fence around your yard. It won’t happen.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:09 AM

Look at the village of Chatham Acres which has five acre lots.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:14 AM

Quote:

We honestly have no issues with our neighbors in our courtyard villa neighborhood. My neighbor on one side keeps her gate locked so her dog cannot get out and if we need access we just ask, no problem. We keep our gate locked also for the same reason, our neighbor on the other side is well aware and has never asked to access except one time to trim her hedge that had become tall.

Nobody wants to be responsible for loose dogs and we all get along, although I’m sure that is not the case everywhere. Good luck to you.

Tags
requirements, dogs, claim, access, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.