Fences and Puppers

Old 03-29-2024, 05:21 AM
Veteran member

the village of Hemingway has ranch homes with fenced in backyards. On Nash Loop, if you are interested
Old 03-29-2024, 05:24 AM

Why would you do that to your free roaming dogs?
Old 03-29-2024, 05:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumaduke View Post
Thank you (and others) for the concern. Hubby and I have been Florida residents for nearly 40 years; we are well-versed in the hazards.

What would prevent us from, say, putting up a cross-fence (or even a baby gate) in a walled Courtyard villa? Dogs would have access to the majority of the yard, but neighbors would be able to freely access their "border" wall without releasing my Kraken into the world unintentionally.
I have a CYV. IF my neighbor was getting her house pressure washed would be the only reason i could think of they’d ever come into my yard but it’s not unannounced. I’ve never been worried about my dogs escaping. I use Deans lawn service and they always text the day before to let me know they’re coming. I mean my dogs don’t have access to the yard unless I’m home and I don’t leave them out there unattended but nobody has ever entered my yard unannounced. You’ll be fine in a Verandah home.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky1 View Post
Why would you do that to your free roaming dogs?
I think she meant “free roaming” as in not on a leash and can let them out into a fenced yard. Not that they’re outdoor dogs.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:53 AM

Find a Courtyard Villa
Old 03-29-2024, 06:03 AM

We have a corner lot veranda with a full three car garage. A large enough lot for our two dogs, one of which is a greyhound. The backyard is large enough for her to run around and get her exercise. Although this type situation is not common in TV they do become available. Good luck with your search
Old 03-29-2024, 06:06 AM

Get references from Villagers for good, experienced realtors. Speak to them on your requirements. Otherwise, you will get all types of wrong information.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Greetings everyone, my husband and I are considering a move to TV within the next few years. However, we have two requirements that I fear are diametrically opposed and may short-circuit our quest to ever become frogs.

Is there any area in TV where we might find a lot with a fenced-in back yard (for dogs) but does NOT utilize zero-lot-line construction for the home?

We are not willing to cave on either of these requirements. Our dogs are currently free-roaming on large acreage in the middle of nowhere, so a secure fence is paramount. We are also not comfortable with anyone else having any claim to access our property (nor with us needing to exercise the claim to access theirs).
Nowhere in the villages ,look elsewhere.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:30 AM
Default Dogs in Florida vs up north

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
You have one other problem you have not considered, Florida has predators and your dogs may not be safe unattended even in a fenced or walled yard.
Best reply yet!
The OP said they have "free roaming" dogs. They need to fully understand that small dogs and cats can become fodder for Florida's predatory birds (and other creatures)
Old 03-29-2024, 07:12 AM
Default Doggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesimonsaid View Post
Sorry. got to ask. what are Puppers?
another name for dogs or a breed of dog.
A pupper is like a doggo just cuter. 😉
Old 03-29-2024, 07:15 AM
Default Birdcag

Some of the end unit courtyard villas do not have an easement into the backyard. Another way around a fence is to have a birdcage in the back yard. With a birdcage you do have the option of a solid wall within the birdcage.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
What you are looking for is a home in the “Veranda” line. These are designer level homes where the back yard is enclosed by a wall. They are being built south of 44. A few were built north of 44.

Note that this is just a back yard, which in The Villages is not expansive.
The verandas are very nice but typically they are larger houses squeezed onto a small lot. Definitely a shock to your dog who is used to room to roam. Best to look at a corner lot which often has more room. Courtyard villas have a walled yard like the verandas but generally do not take up as much space on the lot leaving more room outside. We have a CV with a nice very large corner lot with room for our 50 lb dog to run. It’s not like the 2 acres we used to have up North but it’s the best you can get in TV.
Because we are on the corner neighbors never need access into our yard. We have one house on the South side only. We need access to their property but as I mentioned our yard is totally private.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Greetings everyone, my husband and I are considering a move to TV within the next few years. However, we have two requirements that I fear are diametrically opposed and may short-circuit our quest to ever become frogs.

Is there any area in TV where we might find a lot with a fenced-in back yard (for dogs) but does NOT utilize zero-lot-line construction for the home?

We are not willing to cave on either of these requirements. Our dogs are currently free-roaming on large acreage in the middle of nowhere, so a secure fence is paramount. We are also not comfortable with anyone else having any claim to access our property (nor with us needing to exercise the claim to access theirs).
The new homes they are building west of the turnpike have “privacy fencing” in the back yard. You really need to contact a village realtor, visit the area, etc to see if the Villages is right for your dog lifestyle. Trust me there are tons of Village Realtors waiting to answer your every question!

Last edited by CarlR33; 03-29-2024 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:30 AM
Default Chatham Acres - 5 acre lots suitable for horses

Chatham Acres could possibly be good for dogs as well. Go to

55places.com/blog/chatham-acres-in-the-villages-offers-space-for-horses
Old 03-29-2024, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernrider75 View Post
We honestly have no issues with our neighbors in our courtyard villa neighborhood. My neighbor on one side keeps her gate locked so her dog cannot get out and if we need access we just ask, no problem. We keep our gate locked also for the same reason, our neighbor on the other side is well aware and has never asked to access except one time to trim her hedge that had become tall.

Nobody wants to be responsible for loose dogs and we all get along, although I’m sure that is not the case everywhere. Good luck to you.
Same for us in our veranda home. We have no issues with neighbors if access is needed. We had a locked gate for awhile and our neighbor had no problem with that, and in 15 months so far has never needed access. The section of their house wall that’s in our yard is very small.

Tags
requirements, dogs, claim, access, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.