Florida car for non-Florida Resident

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2018, 05:30 PM
Default Florida car for non-Florida Resident

We are non-Florida residents who purchased a home in the Villages. We drop in from time to time. When we do we rent cars. I would like to buy a car and leave it at our Village home.

My Colorado agent said to check and see if I can own a Florida car with a Colorado license.

I would appreciate comment on this.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:35 PM
Veteran member

I don't see the problem. I own a Maryland licensed car with Florida tags.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,158 Times in 2,252 Posts

Go to Pinellas Plaza (building with the copper top), and go to the license department, and ask them directly, this will get you the correct info and the specific requirements.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:39 PM

I think a bit of an issue might be that if you buy the car in Florida, that you will have to take it to Colorado to have the VIN checked in order to get Colorado plates.

It would be simpler to buy a car in Colorado, get the plates, then drive it down here and leave it.

In Colorado, they mail you a post card when you need new tags for the plates. Just have them mailed to your Colorado address. Then bring them down and put them on your plates.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

There is no such thing as a "Florida" car. You should register the car in Colorado and leave it anywhere you want as long as you continue to be a Colorado resident. It does not matter where you buy the car. However, if you become a Florida resident, you need to register all of your cars in Florida and get a Florida drivers license. You cannot be a resident of more than one state.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:20 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

For several reasons I prefer to drive a vehicle licensed in the state in which I keep it. For almost 30 years I have kept residences and cars in two different states. I am domiciled in and a resident one of the two states and retain a driver's license issued in that state. I have had no problem in the other state buying, licensing and insuring - an issue to be resolved - a car there. IMHO if one keeps and drives a car primarily within a certain state it should be both licensed and insured there.

This type of situation has to be prevalent in Florida where many people keep winter homes.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-04-2018, 08:29 PM
Default Florida car

We have a car that is registered in Florida with Florida plates. We still have Indiana licenses.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:39 PM

If you are planning on buying the "Florida" car from a car dealer, I'm sure they will be able to tell you how to do it.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

Easy answer, because we just did what you are contemplating. We are seasonal residents in Florida and our primary home is in Massachusetts. Last month we bought a used car in the Villages to leave at our Florida home. Since we own a home in the Villages and the car will be garaged primarily in our Florida home, it is no problem to get Florida tags on your car with an out of state license. It's very easy if you have a clean, no lien, Florida title and proof of insurance from a Florida insurance provider. We bought the car from a seller with clean title and went to the Villages Insurance and took out a policy. With clean title, bill of sale, and proof of insurance in hand just go to tax collector/motor vehicle department with check book and you can walk out with new title and license plate. We went to office near intersection of 466 and Morse Blvd. and we're done in about 15 minutes. Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:04 PM

We do this - buy a car in FL, register it in FL - get a FL insurance policy (this is the main issue) - Drive it here and enjoy. Your insurance company should be able to handle this as a "no brainer". Ours is USAA and they didn't even blink.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:17 PM

I live in NY and have a NY license...my cars are both registered and insured inFlorida with Florida plates and ins. It doesnt matter where your license is as long as you have a Florida address to register them to.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOERILLA View Post
I live in NY and have a NY license...my cars are both registered and insured inFlorida with Florida plates and ins. It doesnt matter where your license is as long as you have a Florida address to register them to.
I could be wrong, but based on what I have learned that is not technically true? Your car needs to be insured and registered in the state where it is primarily garaged. Although you can probably get away with what you are doing, good luck if you have to make an insurance claim in NY and they contest it based on where the car is garaged, versed where it is registered and insured. Hope you don't run into this situation.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:23 AM

Thank you to all who replied. Your comments are very helpful. I will go to DMV and verify.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Easy answer, because we just did what you are contemplating. We are seasonal residents in Florida and our primary home is in Massachusetts. Last month we bought a used car in the Villages to leave at our Florida home. Since we own a home in the Villages and the car will be garaged primarily in our Florida home, it is no problem to get Florida tags on your car with an out of state license. It's very easy if you have a clean, no lien, Florida title and proof of insurance from a Florida insurance provider. We bought the car from a seller with clean title and went to the Villages Insurance and took out a policy. With clean title, bill of sale, and proof of insurance in hand just go to tax collector/motor vehicle department with check book and you can walk out with new title and license plate. We went to office near intersection of 466 and Morse Blvd. and we're done in about 15 minutes. Hope this helps.
We did this exact thing in January. No problem!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 04-05-2018, 02:30 PM

Hello Village Tinker...

I called the local DMV and was told that indeed I can register a car in Florida without a Florida license. Thanks for your suggestion.

Tags
car, time, colorado, florida, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.