Fenney-ites - feedback on golf cart disconnectedness

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2018, 08:11 AM
Default Things we like about living in Fenney

We have visited The Villages several times over the last 8 years. Last year we rented for one month in Antrim Dells. We thought a courtyard villa would be our only option as we have a large dog. We recently purchased in Fenny and here are a few reasons we are glad we did:

1. We have a designer home with a fenced yard for our dog.

2. There is much more storage in the new homes including a 2 and 1/2 car garage.

3. We have a natural gas home. My wife prefers cooking on it and I was able to run a gas line for $600 to the back yard for grilling. No more lugging propane tanks around.

4. We have a tankless water heater. The electric water heaters we looked at in the Phillips Villas showed average cost of $50 for energy use per month. Ours should be a fraction of that.

5. I can make it from my front door to Costco in 50 minutes without going over the speed limit. I used to drive this far every day to work in Austin TX.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomoe1954 View Post
We have visited The Villages several times over the last 8 years. Last year we rented for one month in Antrim Dells. We thought a courtyard villa would be our only option as we have a large dog. We recently purchased in Fenny and here are a few reasons we are glad we did:

1. We have a designer home with a fenced yard for our dog.

2. There is much more storage in the new homes including a 2 and 1/2 car garage.

3. We have a natural gas home. My wife prefers cooking on it and I was able to run a gas line for $600 to the back yard for grilling. No more lugging propane tanks around.

4. We have a tankless water heater. The electric water heaters we looked at in the Phillips Villas showed average cost of $50 for energy use per month. Ours should be a fraction of that.

5. I can make it from my front door to Costco in 50 minutes without going over the speed limit. I used to drive this far every day to work in Austin TX.
I do not live in Fenney but agree that there are many new improvements to the homes in Fenney that make them more desirable.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I agree, when we purchased in Hillsborough people were bashing us for moving so far south. My wife and I have our individual electric carts and travel all over TV. It's about a 45 minute drive to SS and I suspect it will be similar to Fenney....we are now in the middle. It may be a couple years until we all get connected, but that time will go in the blink of an eye. Those below 44 will always be part of TV, that's why we all moved here. Where you decide to travel and what mode will depend on your individual likes. If I can be so bold, I suspect that those above 466 will be most disconnected since they have the oldest amenities and not near the variety of those below. So a case can be made for both extremes if you want to and it's important to youl
exactly, I think most of the bashing is because of the lack of amenities up yonder and the green eyed monster is taking over.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
I am sorry but this is completely ridiculous and not based on facts.

North of 466 Villages enjoy 5 (3 of which are old and outdated) Championship golf courses and 13 Executive courses. ( Between 466 and 466A there are 4 Championships and 16 Executives, plus lots more people) And south of 466A there are 3 championships and 7 execs

All the best full court Tennis clubs are located N of 466 (Glenview, Lopez, Hacienda) (Who judges them "BEST")

The best and most active softball facilities are also located in the North (Saddlebrook, Buffalo Glen) Have you looked at the fields they are putting in at Fenney?

The largest entertainment venues are located N of 466 ( Savannah, Sharon, Katie Belles) I grant you this one....but I can access these easily by car...

The only Polo Fields (which host a lot of great events besides Polo) are located N of 466 I've lived here 4 years and have never gone, so there's that

The only 2 bowling alleys in TV are located N of 466 Again you are correct here

The only Woodshop in TV located N of 466 True but who knows for down south

2 dog parks n of 466, there is 1 S of 466 and 1 South of 466A and one huge one in Fenney with facilities not seen in TV up till now

It might be more helpful if you would give readers actual facts.
ok I corrected yours.....
and by the way they are opinions not facts....You conveniently forgot to mention that You can live 3 or more miles from a pool up north but down here they are literally around every corner and that we have more rec centers than up north. Everyone in TV had their reasons for picking the part of the Villages they live in.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I think it's pretty obvious that the Developer has added features to the homes in Fenney...to try and make up for the fact it isn't golf cart connected.

While not for me, as I like the oft-advertised "golf cart accessible" of most of the rest of TV, the lack of living/enjoying the true 'golf cart life'...is obviously attractive to some.

And even when Fenney is connected, it's gonna take some pretty hard rear-ends...to go much past Browntown.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
After seeing the insert in the paper the other day , about all the stuff coming to the new south area, when completed , why would anyone even want to go to the old villages areas anyway.
I always like it when you post. You have a very nice point of view on most issues. While I'm reading this thread thinking why does the Fenney Bashing continue? And wondering why nobody has taken any shots at us Northerner's and Bingo. Here we have an Old shot taken at us. I guess everything old is not good then? Live and let live, I wish I could go to Fenney tomorrow but waiting two years works best for us. We are extremely young and living in the old hysterical section, what a mess we are. Damn. I'm so confusticated!
Old 04-01-2018, 04:43 PM

Swimming pools in north end. District four has six pools with another one in the planning stages. This is not including Lopez CC.

Pools
Chatham
Calumet
Soulliaire
Philips
Springdale
Mulberry
The list includes two family pools, one sports pool and three adult pools.

The seventh will be at the 18 acre site recently purchased solely for recreational activities. Tentative planning is to duplicate the newer amenities at Fenney. Eighteen acres has a lot of possibilities and the funds are available.
I will have four pools within walking distance. So let’s not be too quick to judge areas north of 466 without all the facts.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgroemm View Post
Part of the joy of living in TV is......it's not yours and mine......it's all OURS. New amenities, old classic amenities, I use and enjoy them all, by car or cart.....so lucky to live here!
My thoughts exactly. I read the list several of you posted of all of the great amenities and thought we all have access to all of it one way or another and I consider myself VERY lucky to live here. Add to that over 1800 clubs to go to and it is all totally AMAZING!
Old 04-03-2018, 09:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
exactly, I think most of the bashing is because of the lack of amenities up yonder and the green eyed monster is taking over.
This is getting tiresome. My post#22 in this thread was in response to someone attempting to bash the North of TV.

Originally Posted by JoMar
If I can be so bold, I suspect that those above 466 will be most disconnected since they have the oldest amenities and not near the variety of those below.

My post #22 did not bash or even mention Fenny, it merely stated the variety of amenities up North, some of which do not exist in any other part of TV.

You then proceed to quote my post and continue the bashing. 3 of our courses are "old and dated" What a laugher. I guess the US, British Opens and the masters should stop testing the pros on all these "old and dated" courses they use. Maybe you like your wine in a box cuz it's not "old and dated"

I live in Woodbury, there are six pools less than 3 miles away, soon there will be two more. Please give us the address of a home N of 466 that is more than 3 miles from a pool.

The fact that you have never been to the Polo Fields in 4 years does not mean it does not count as a wonderful and unique amenity.

I bought a Designer with 2.5 car garage and $90,000 in upgrades and zero bond balance for $257,000. Similar size home and garage in Fenney costs about the same, is a plain jane with few upgrades, and has a $30,000 unpaid bond. Yeah, I am green with envy.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:18 AM
Sage

There are 60 ft mountains? hills? down there. I hope they are used for the golf courses being planned. Anyone know what the elevation of Volushia hole 2 is?
Old 04-03-2018, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
This is getting tiresome. My post#22 in this thread was in response to someone attempting to bash the North of TV.

Originally Posted by JoMar
If I can be so bold, I suspect that those above 466 will be most disconnected since they have the oldest amenities and not near the variety of those below.

My post #22 did not bash or even mention Fenny, it merely stated the variety of amenities up North, some of which do not exist in any other part of TV.

You then proceed to quote my post and continue the bashing. 3 of our courses are "old and dated" What a laugher. I guess the US, British Opens and the masters should stop testing the pros on all these "old and dated" courses they use. Maybe you like your wine in a box cuz it's not "old and dated"

I live in Woodbury, there are six pools less than 3 miles away, soon there will be two more. Please give us the address of a home N of 466 that is more than 3 miles from a pool.

The fact that you have never been to the Polo Fields in 4 years does not mean it does not count as a wonderful and unique amenity.

I bought a Designer with 2.5 car garage and $90,000 in upgrades and zero bond balance for $257,000. Similar size home and garage in Fenney costs about the same, is a plain jane with few upgrades, and has a $30,000 unpaid bond. Yeah, I am green with envy.
If that was directed at me, I wasn't bashing your post, just giving another opinion. The Sharon, Savannah, and Polo Fields are not amenities, in my view. To use them, you pay. We use them but we also go outside the bubble for similar venues. Amenities are what is included with your amenity fees. Those are what can be on a daily basis. I suspect those south of 44 will have the same bias, that there area will be superior to any other area in TV, which I think is how we all feel. I also suspect that those above 466 will travel down to use the new amenities....I have friends that live close to Lopez that head for the putt and play. As the new and different amenities are added I suspect others will do the same. I also appreciate you financial view, but you do know there are a bunch that keep moving south?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-03-2018, 12:17 PM
Sage

Driving thru Pedro from Ocala--much saver than I-75-
Old 04-03-2018, 02:24 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
If that was directed at me, I wasn't bashing your post, just giving another opinion. The Sharon, Savannah, and Polo Fields are not amenities, in my view. To use them, you pay. We use them but we also go outside the bubble for similar venues. Amenities are what is included with your amenity fees. Those are what can be on a daily basis. I suspect those south of 44 will have the same bias, that there area will be superior to any other area in TV, which I think is how we all feel. I also suspect that those above 466 will travel down to use the new amenities....I have friends that live close to Lopez that head for the putt and play. As the new and different amenities are added I suspect others will do the same. I also appreciate you financial view, but you do know there are a bunch that keep moving south?
Look, you bashed the North with this comment posted below, at the same time agreeing that nobody should bash Fenney.

Then I responded with a list of amenities in the North without saying one negative thing about Fenney. So maybe look in the mirror when you complain about bashing.

Now you say Polo Fields, Savannah, Sharon don't count as amenities because you have to pay. So I guess Championship Courses are not amenities as we have to pay... I don't think many villagers would agree. Besides, there are lots of activities that go on at the Polo Fields, Savannah Center etc that don't cost a penny to enjoy.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:36 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

You know when all of the approved homes are completed it will most likely be quicker to drive from say Briar Meadow to Ocala than to the southern most sections of TV and most likely quicker to drive from the southern most sections to Orlando than to Briar Meadow. TV is going to be so large that a lot of residents won't venture to either end and will be content to stay within a certain radius of their homes. No part of TV should be bashed, it is and will remain a great place to be from top to bottom so it will be a matter of personal choice where new buyers choose to live. We could all use a little more rain than we have been getting.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
You know when all of the approved homes are completed it will most likely be quicker to drive from say Briar Meadow to Ocala than to the southern most sections of TV and most likely quicker to drive from the southern most sections to Orlando than to Briar Meadow. TV is going to be so large that a lot of residents won't venture to either end and will be content to stay within a certain radius of their homes. No part of TV should be bashed, it is and will remain a great place to be from top to bottom so it will be a matter of personal choice where new buyers choose to live. We could all use a little more rain than we have been getting.
This should be the last word on this thread.

Tags
fenney, wondering, feedback, golf, cart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.