Fenney / Quarry

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2021, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,932 Times in 2,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I don't get your point, I put a link to google maps, here is the link I posted and you made the above comment:

Google Maps

Here is a link to google earth of the same location, the only difference I see is google earth doesn't label the roads, and it takes slightly longer to setup:

Google Earth
On Google earth You have to got to setting and set up ( click on box) for roads, landmarks and what ever. I don’t see tools to measure distances as the crow flies?
Old 03-27-2021, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
After living in Fenney for nearly 4 years now there is nothing down here that would cause me to hesitate buying or building a home in or near the village of Fenney. In those nearly 4 years I have never heard anything coming from the Coleman Correctional Facility, no sirens or loud speaker announcements that those who don't live here talk about, and as noted above by those of us living here the occasional blast is not a concern. That being said, I would not want to live anywhere near a fire station or hospital emergency room, a shopping plaza, highway, or railroad crossing.
Or a pickleball court....
Old 03-27-2021, 01:36 PM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi

another thing you should find out is were there is sink holes that have occurred and if the property managers will pay for damages that will occurred from this because it cost a great deal of money to repair or to have sink hole insurance which can cost hundreds if you can get it.. Also CCD bond which can be very costly and Tax increases such a community fire protection and amenity price increases, community travel which doe's not exists here, HOA rules, being Close to Quarry, and power lines that a no no.. Make sure you have the home you are buying is inspected by a licensed Home inspector electrical, Plumbing, structurally. Having said this and you are ok with all I have said it is a great place to live because of the amenities and life style Also Spend time looking at the area you are buying like traffic loud noise, neighbors and parties.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The Villages Florida
From the picture looks like they are quarrying south by the old slug ponds. So their blasting away from fenney?
Old 03-27-2021, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Or a pickleball court....

Or on golf course.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-01-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfmi View Post
another thing you should find out is were there is sink holes that have occurred and if the property managers will pay for damages that will occurred from this because it cost a great deal of money to repair or to have sink hole insurance which can cost hundreds if you can get it.. Also ccd bond which can be very costly and tax increases such a community fire protection and amenity price increases, community travel which doe's not exists here, hoa rules, being close to quarry, and power lines that a no no.. Make sure you have the home you are buying is inspected by a licensed home inspector electrical, plumbing, structurally. Having said this and you are ok with all i have said it is a great place to live because of the amenities and life style also spend time looking at the area you are buying like traffic loud noise, neighbors and parties.
hoa rules??? With no HOA, how can there be HOA rules?
Old 03-27-2021, 04:41 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfmi View Post
another thing you should find out is were there is sink holes that have occurred and if the property managers will pay for damages that will occurred from this because it cost a great deal of money to repair or to have sink hole insurance which can cost hundreds if you can get it.. Also CCD bond which can be very costly and Tax increases such a community fire protection and amenity price increases, community travel which doe's not exists here, HOA rules, being Close to Quarry, and power lines that a no no.. Make sure you have the home you are buying is inspected by a licensed Home inspector electrical, Plumbing, structurally. Having said this and you are ok with all I have said it is a great place to live because of the amenities and life style Also Spend time looking at the area you are buying like traffic loud noise, neighbors and parties.
This doesn't make a lot of sense. You want potential buyers to hang around a particular street to see if there are any parties??? Why would anyone not use a licensed home inspector??? Unless you live down here near a power line or quarry who are you to say it's a no-no ??? You make no sense in regards to HOA's, property managers, sink hole insurance, etc. etc.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I have some experience with the proximity of million-dollar homes to the quarry that supplied the stone for the concrete and the stone dust that went under the pavers and the stone that constructed the French Drains and the overburden dirt that filled in humongous ditches in the common areas. Oh, and the stone to pave the streets.

The explosions that were set off for a hundred years before the houses were built and the explosions that were set off after the homes were built caused a grand total of zero known problems. The houses near this particular N.J. Quarry had full basement's and still no problems. I can't see why there would be any problem with these supervised blasts near the Quarry close to Fenney.

I'm so sure of it that I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a home there. It's beautiful.

Urban Legend about the blasts. IMHO
The Jersey quarry was backfilled by Jimmy Hoffa.

Maybe.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils View Post
The Jersey quarry was backfilled by Jimmy Hoffa.

Maybe.
Don’t you mean with Jimmy?
Old 03-27-2021, 05:29 PM

What company do you have your home insurance thru? I pay almost $900 without any extra sink hole coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Do you live in TV? I don't know what a property manager would be in TV, most of us own our homes, we manage our own property. I don't quite follow property managers comments.

Sink hole insurance? Yes, you can get it, and it doesn't cost a lot of money. I wouldn't own a home in TV without sink hole coverage. My homeowner's policy is $619 a year which includes catastrophic collapse and sink hole coverage.

CDD Bond? Most homes in TV have bonds, mine is $14,000 or a payment added to my taxes of $1,100 a year. I wouldn't call that very costly, if it were, I might of not purchased here.

Increases in Amenity prices? My amenity fee was $145 when I moved here in 2011, it's now $155, I don't consider that to be a great increase.

HOA Rules? If you lived here, you would know we don't have an HOA. We have a volunteer committee called ARC, Architectural Review Committee, it is their job to approve or disapprove changes to the exterior of your home or yard. That's one of the reasons we moved here, so we don't have the guy next door painting his house lime green or purple because that's his favorite team's colors.

I know you mean well and want to help new homeowners, but your tactics are a bit offline.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-01-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
omi

Here's one take, just my personal one. Analyze the replies you get on this and any social media site. It will almost always be a variety. You seem very much like we are, especially careful and analytical; others will deal with whatever comes if and when it comes. The same goes with careful research on sink holes in this area. How a person approaches such a situation depends on their upbringing, educational level, personality, past experiences and how much emotional distress past situations may have caused, etc. so many variables. If a person who has purchased a home that a "home inspection expert" has pronounced solid, with a good roof, moves in only to find 6 mos. later a roof with multiple problems ! That individual will be especially careful the "next time".

If you watch social medial sites carefully, you will "catch on" to those who consistently tell you to relax, or that they have "never" heard of any problems, again experience, personality, educational level, and always keep in mind there are those few who will get defensive and insist every negative about the Villages is false. All have their reasons to defend even the indefensible (they made the decision to live here and don't want to admit to any negatives which all communities have), some want to defend their property value (folks with a sink hole opening under or beside homes here have been unable to sell their property and/or had a VERY expensive repair and even then had to take a loss.

We have been satisfied for many years now, built to our own specifications when one could do that, but had friends who built on Churchill g.c. who greatly regretted not doing what you are doing, careful research. In their case it was failing to locate major rail lines and the length and times trains pass. Others have been attracted to homes and lots just steps from a rec center, only to find they ARE bothered by the early morning sounds of tennis & pickle-balls, or early morning sounds of swimmers getting in some laps.
Keep up your research, can't imagine a real estate agents routinely bringing up such things unless YOU do (or unless you are dealing with someone who is a personal friend apart from business), so you have to depend on YOU and make sure you understand these types of things might be more irritating, or have more FINANCIAL impact on you than they possibly would have on others who might express themselves on this site. Be care, be VERY CAREFUL as you are doing. It's a nice community, no better or worse than a plethora of them in this area and in Florida in general. There are many many choices, choose carefully to do your best to have no regrets. We have told all our friends who come to visit over the years, if it is financially possible at all, to rent in the area you are thinking of buying in so you can experience the day to day events, distances from the things YOU do, etc.
Well said. I live with one. Up all night worrying about what might happen. What we need to do years from now. We do not live in Fenny. Blasting? Unless they plan on blasting under my bed and perhaps even then. it might not wake me.Oh, though we eat exactly the same food my cholesterol is low her's is high even with drugs. That is, likely cause and effect. We live ???? ten miles from the rail road tracks, did you hear that? No I am sleeping. I've learned to talk without waking up.
Closed Thread

Tags
blasting, fenney, sights, feel, free

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.