Best time to sell

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2018, 07:30 PM
Default Best time to sell

What time of year is the best time to sell a home and possibly get the best price?
Old 10-23-2018, 08:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

I would have to guess when the most "prospects" are here. IMO that would be Jan - March/April when there are more prospective buyers (AKA RENTERS) running all over the place who are paying through the nose for 3-4 months rent and realize they are better off doing the same and (like we did) look around while renting. We bought in FEB.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think most homes are sold here in the spring and early summer.

This is a hot market here. There is no bad time to sell is my general opinion.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:30 AM
Sage

Remember mortgage rates are rising--if you need a mortgage--the sooner the better- if you don't need a mortgage anytime is good-also if you have a mortgage every monthly payment actually reduces your real sales price
Old 10-24-2018, 09:31 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

We came down to buy in May of 2017 thinking it would be a little slower. I believe that May and August were the two leading months for new home sales in 2017, I could be wrong as my memory isn't what it used to be but it was not the winter months that had the highest sales. We closed on May 12 and there were 77 closings that week at the Lake Sumter sales office.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:53 AM

You can check with a local realtor as they have graphs by month of the number of homes on the market and the number of homes sold. They also have a chart that tells you the average price of home sales for that month. This can be skewed if more larger homes sell in a month than smaller homes. I do know that for most homes, they will spend about 60-90 days on the market. Some high asking priced homes (greater than $1,000,000) are on the market much longer.

We have been looking for a home for more than 6 months... looking because it is difficult for us to find a home with the features we want and at a price we want to pay. But we are not in a hurry, so we will continue to look.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:12 PM
Veteran member

My realtor has told me he always takes Vacation in May, because that is the slowest sales month.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 10-24-2018, 01:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

I don't think it matters, and here's why:

If you are not in a hurry to sell, you can set your price and if you get it, it doesn't matter if it's January or July, you have your money.

If you ARE in a hurry to sell, then paying the extra carrying costs of taxes, maintenance , insurance, amenities etc etc are likely to eat up any potential gain you might realize by trying to time your sale seasonally. Also, by delaying you risk things such as, mentioned before, mortgage interest rising, a stock market collapse (see 2007-2008), or the economy fizzling out.

I think the above points are valid in any market, but perhaps especially so in TV, where there is a huge selection, new, used, various shapes and sizes, and a constant turnover.
Just my two cents, and I'm probably over-charging.
Closed Thread

Tags
time, sell, price, home, possibly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.