Figured it out.

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
I think the villages is a horible investment, but so was our new car and eating out all the time. Being my age, investment is of no interest to me. I am interested in enjoying the remainder of my life to the fullest.
Investment in life. There are many ways to measure your net worth.
And it appears that you, like a lot of other responders, have found a good investment.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
I think the villages is a horible investment, but so was our new car and eating out all the time. Being my age, investment is of no interest to me. I am interested in enjoying the remainder of my life to the fullest.
I agree wholeheartedly with your basic sentiment, but I'm not sure why you consider TV a bad investment.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with your basic sentiment, but I'm not sure why you consider TV a bad investment.
For us it is the best investment possible, BUT, if you are talking about a $$$$$$ investment, I could point you in a hundred better directions like a single wide in south Florida where you can live on 300 dollars a month and invest the rest in the market. We spend more in a month having fun and food in The Villages than half this country has allocated for a years fun and food expenses. If it's money your after stay away from here, grow your own food and hunt for the meat you eat.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I still don't agree with the accuracy of your figures. We pay 137.00 per month amenities which give us access to all executive golf courses as well as swimming pools etc. before moving here we paid 235.00 per month for golf only plus a sizable indication fee. Seems like we are ahead on our investment too me.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Sage

Ah, investment. I spent my working years deferring income, deferring vacations, deferring purchases, deferring fun things. Just so that at this time in my life, I can, within reason, thoroughly enjoy the time I have left. My home in the villages is not an investment from a financial standpoint. It is an investment in my ability to enjoy life. I have made more friends here than I did in 30+ years in my prior home. I have played more golf, seen more shows, traveled, volunteered, and many other things since I got here.

My son eventually will own this house for whatever it is worth at that time. His problem, not mine.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Sage

I built my dream house with a spa with seating in the jets designed to accommodate both my only son's long back and a specially made little seat for my unborn grandchildren.
"Son, this is your inheritance, I hope you like it."
Old 09-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Ah, investment. I spent my working years deferring income, deferring vacations, deferring purchases, deferring fun things. Just so that at this time in my life, I can, within reason, thoroughly enjoy the time I have left. My home in the villages is not an investment from a financial standpoint. It is an investment in my ability to enjoy life. I have made more friends here than I did in 30+ years in my prior home. I have played more golf, seen more shows, traveled, volunteered, and many other things since I got here.

My son eventually will own this house for whatever it is worth at that time. His problem, not mine.
Exactly! We too had a lot of differed gratification and many young people we know are envious but they just don't get it that we earned and saved for every bit of decadence we now enjoy.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Exactly! We too had a lot of differed gratification and many young people we know are envious but they just don't get it that we earned and saved for every bit of decadence we now enjoy.
Did the same, they splurged, I saved...
Old 09-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
For us it is the best investment possible, BUT, if you are talking about a $$$$$$ investment, I could point you in a hundred better directions like a single wide in south Florida where you can live on 300 dollars a month and invest the rest in the market. We spend more in a month having fun and food in The Villages than half this country has allocated for a years fun and food expenses. If it's money your after stay away from here, grow your own food and hunt for the meat you eat.
Ahh, at least I see what you mean now, and I can't really argue with that...although I do think you get a lot of value for your amenities fee buck. And you don't really have to spend a ton of money over and above that if you don't wish to.

I thought you meant that strictly from a real estate value point of view it is a bad investment. That I couldn't agree with so readily. :^)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.