Finding a job in TV

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2023, 07:06 AM

Look at the Counties here and the many small towns in the area, they pay over 2x what the Villages does and offer full benefits including pensions with the State if Florida. I worked for one for years, moved to the Villages in my 40s. Don't wait, come on down and start enjoying your life here. Even working, you have evenings and weekends to enjoy your life here. Many small towns and the Counties here are 4 day, 10 hour work weeks. Wonderful. Don't put it off, life is too short.
Old 06-19-2023, 07:44 AM

In reading the Charter School handbook, I don’t recall seeing anything about grandparents having the ability to make their grandchildren eligible for the Charter School.
Old 06-19-2023, 07:48 AM

I'm 56 and wife is 53 and moved to TV with remote jobs. If you need to continue to work this is the only way. If you want a job to fill time or a little extra spending money then finding a job once you get here is an option.

If I didn't have a remote job and I was here, I'd make the trek to Tampa. Wages in my field are lower than my former state, but at least somewhat competitive. Salaries for what I do in Ocala are entry level and at TV are below what we pay interns.

For my field.......its remote or Tampa or don't move.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,978 Times in 757 Posts

Boy you’ll be in for a shock. I too retired early from a large Communications company @ 45 with incentives, pension, medical for myself and wife continuing still today. Fortunately I got employment with another large Communication company and retired again @ 62. Good luck in your job search.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:09 AM

If you have a great personality and are a people person, then check out working for The Villages Golf Carts. You mentioned health insurance and for full time employees they have it. On top of that you can actually make decent money.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:23 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,073 Times in 537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, you may want to expand your work location to Ocala, Leesburg, etc., I would NOT try for Orlando, I4 can be a disaster. It appears most of the jobs IN The Villages are service related jobs, not sure what you are after but keep this in mind. I do electrical consulting remotely, with all of the work out of state.
He has no interest in going up North in TV, something tells me he isn't interested in driving to Ocala or Leesburg.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,207 Times in 762 Posts

Anywhere you look here there are help wanted signs.. Most are minium wage type jobs, but if you want to work go for it.
Old 06-19-2023, 11:00 AM

Try UF Health. Plenty of openings and great benefits
Old 06-19-2023, 03:23 PM

The local governments seem to be always looking to hire folks and probably have good benefits. I pass by a Lockheed Martin facility when I take the scenic route to my favorite Walmart in Silver Springs Shores in Marion County (only one around I know of that still sells guns). You didn't mention what your actual job was at that communications company so not sure whether you are looking for an electrical engineer or news anchor job.
Old 06-19-2023, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Does the Villages supply the golf cart??
Only at the golf course, not for personal use.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Boy you’ll be in for a shock. I too retired early from a large Communications company @ 45 with incentives, pension, medical for myself and wife continuing still today. Fortunately I got employment with another large Communication company and retired again @ 62. Good luck in your job search.
It's cool that you were able to retire at 45 and get another job in the same field that you were able to retire (for the second time) from at 62. You were at your second job for 17 years.

But 56 is a bit different than 45 - by over a decade. Getting another job at 56, working for 6 more years and retiring at 62 is going to look different.

I'm wondering if switching gears and going into insurance or financial advising would be on the table for Op. He would have to take and pass the required exams, of course. I would think that someone who has managed to retire early has some idea about finances and insurance and might have an aptitude for those industries.

I noticed there were some listings in those particular fields.
Closed Thread

Tags
job, years, time, full, difficult

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.