Fire Department Issues

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2020, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I remember another thread about same subject, and the problem seems to be the same still.
Trained FF/FR leave for other stations outside for higher wages and better conditions of employment.
Others leave on completion of training for the same reasons.
Untill it is as good as, or even better pay and conditions than outside stations, I cannot see the situaton improving or changing.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
Recent property tax increase has nothing to do with fire services. That is billed separately as a fire fee. I have been told that the fire fee for commercial and residential, in Sumter County, are the same not a flat rate for residential and a sq ft % for commercial like most counties are. If true then I suspect that is part of the funding issue facing management.
I have voiced my concern with district management regarding the short staffing of fire apparatus.
More and more building coming will mean increasing the fire fee to support proper staffing.
Thank you for this information. I was not aware that our fee structure was like this for commercial buildings. Once again the burden is on the homeowners and the Developer’s commercial properties get a break. How can this be changed? Is it something that new County Commissioners can address?
Old 01-29-2020, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate View Post
If you roll into a working structure fire with two members on a rig, there’s not much you can do. If it’s an engine company, one member is operating the pump panel, that leaves the remaining member to stretch a line and get it into operation without a back up or officer. On a ladder company, one may need to operate the aerial ladder or tower, once again that may leave one member to possibly force entry into the premises and initiate a search. Unsafe, to say the least.
Where I live in rural(ish) Washington state our station runs somewhat of a "shortstack" Two Firefighter/Paramedics man the Rescue while the Captain follows in the Engine. That is for medical calls. If it's a TC or fire they run the two firefighters in the engine and the Captain follows in the rescue and acts as Engineer. Then they start rolling in additional resources from other stations if necessary. Seems to work okay.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 01-29-2020, 11:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

So, here is what we residents can do. We can notify the proper authorty and inform them that we are willing to pay an increased fee in order to make funds available to hire addtional employees and pay higher wages so that they stay. I'm not sure how to get this started. Any ideas?
Old 01-29-2020, 12:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If you have any questions or concerns and you don't want to call the District you can also call Fire Station 44 and ask for one of the Chiefs . They'll be glad to answer your questions and explain the numbers to you. 352-205-8280
Old 01-29-2020, 12:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
Thank you for this information. I was not aware that our fee structure was like this for commercial buildings. Once again the burden is on the homeowners and the Developer’s commercial properties get a break. How can this be changed? Is it something that new County Commissioners can address?
Yes, I hope we soon see new County commissioners more in tune with the residents. Changing the fee so business pays a more fair share is a start. I still feel with all the continued building The Villages FD will need to grow to meet that growth and thus that means the fire fee will need to go up as well. Safety of firefighters and residents are at stake.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
So, here is what we residents can do. We can notify the proper authorty and inform them that we are willing to pay an increased fee in order to make funds available to hire addtional employees and pay higher wages so that they stay. I'm not sure how to get this started. Any ideas?
I would suggest a review of the same budget that carries the fire departments needs.
A line by line review to be able to see where the funds are being directed.
There most certainly will be pet projects that carry a lower priority than fire protection is being allotted.
Once armed with the details then one can determine whether there is a need to volunteer to pay anymore or not.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

There is a link in the 'other' site to the recent Fire Fighter pay and conditions negotiations, pertinant to this thread

Last edited by Two Bills; 01-29-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:18 PM
Platinum member

I want the firefighters, paramedics and ent’s receive fair wages. What I don’t like is the Union “negotiating” thru the media. The stuff they put on their website, release to “that other website” etc cannot be verified.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:57 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

I thnak the firefighters for the work they do. However, I am always suspicious of union websites.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am such a skeptical person. Is it a realtor musing or the union lobbying?

We cannot thank first responders enough here in The Villages. The percentage of saved lives in The Villages has to be far above other communities, and I am one of them as they kept my heartbeat from slowing and stopping on the fast drive to TVRH about two years ago. Three fireman were put aboard to be sure they had someone to start my heart again if it stopped. To say I am a fan is an understatement.

I am sure we all want to see them have safe and effective numbers and fair pay.

I just like to know who is talking to me.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:34 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
I thnak the firefighters for the work they do. However, I am always suspicious of union websites.

Absolutely. The number one objective of unions is Dues.

Been there, seen that.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:49 AM

So, does anyone know what the REAL story is?

You'll get 2 stories, depending who you talk to.
Management/Union

Is this a staffing issue (lack of enough personnel to work/cover the shifts), or budget (won't pay for overtime to staff apparatus)?

Are there a large number of people off on sick/injury leave?

Is it a combination of both?

I've NEVER heard of running with 2 on a Fire apparatus, in a "Professional" department...
What sense does THAT make?
You don't have Volunteers showing up on the scene to fill the crews.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:37 AM

Unacceptable. This needs to be fixed!
Old 01-31-2020, 10:05 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGyver9 View Post
So, does anyone know what the REAL story is?

You'll get 2 stories, depending who you talk to.
Management/Union

Is this a staffing issue (lack of enough personnel to work/cover the shifts), or budget (won't pay for overtime to staff apparatus)?

Are there a large number of people off on sick/injury leave?

Is it a combination of both?

I've NEVER heard of running with 2 on a Fire apparatus, in a "Professional" department...
What sense does THAT make?
You don't have Volunteers showing up on the scene to fill the crews.
It is a combination of issues.
There are currently 40 firefighters assigned to each of the three 24hr shifts however there are currently three open spots. Then you have daily shortages caused by vacation or sickness.

The other part of this issue is the overtime cost.

A new hire class of six recently started their training and that help fill some of the shortages.
Closed Thread

Tags
fire, units, rescue, local, firefighters

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.