Firemen & EMT's

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2014, 08:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Well, against my better judgement, I will post. I should bite my tongue, but sometimes I find it hard to.

In my previous life, I was a carrier firefighter/medic/EMS Instructor in New York State. (IAFF Union Local 896).

I loved my job. I think I was paid well, but there were days where I earned my whole pay in 5 minutes. I did and saw things most could not or would not do. I've pulled folks out of burning buildings, cut people out of unrecognizable vehicles, pushed drugs and IV's into people trying to keep them alive, etc,etc.

I loved my job. I worked crazy hours, holidays, etc. Missed birthday parties, etc.....no complaints, as it was the career I chose and I knew the deal.

Yes, I slept at night.....sometimes. There were also nights when I did not, going to one call after another. When a firefighter sleeps, it is always a light sleep. You go from pillow to turnouts in less then a minute, and out the door driving to a fire in less then a minute. You instantly know the address, where it is and the best way to get there. Where to park the rig, where the hydrants are, etc,etc.

It was a great job, as no two days were the same.

So..now I'm retired with a good firefighter pension. I move to Florida. I find out my taxes and cost of living are much less down here. I also meet the local firefighter's and medics. I see many of them are Paramedics. Good. I see they make way less then I did. Sad.

I see my taxes are way less then they were in NY. I guess that is good.....but I'm also smart enough to know that as I get older, my chances of needing a good Paramedic/EMS crew goes up significantly.

So......I think I will support the firefighters and the EMS service and law enforcement.....I KNOW I'll need them some day, and I want them to earn a good living wage. If my taxes need to go up to do that....it's fine with me.

As to the volunteer comment, I support and respect volunteers. I taught hundreds of them and made them EMT's, etc. The fact of the matter is that there is no "free lunch". With the huge population here and the volume of calls, you NEED a paid department. Be careful what you wish for.

The way I see it, a good fire and EMS department is more important then a lot of places money goes down here.....many times the folks who complain about these essential services always seem to find money for going out to that fancy restaurant, greens fees, that new driver, etc, etc. Where are the priorities?

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I know I should stick to answering home inspection questions. I hope I did not offend anyone. When looking at the current state of the world, we are all very blessed.

Respectfully, Frank

Thank you for being a good person at your last job and always. I too honor you for your service and for being the decent, ethical and hard working person you are. Thank you for all the good you did, the risks you took and for the dedication that goes far beyond any pay can compensate.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Frank, exactly what would you like me to know, in a nutshell?
I thought he said it quite well.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:57 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=graciegirl;899131]Bump

I trust Bogie's post. He is a good researcher.
Firefighter EMT Paramedic Salary in The Villages, FL

What Where
Job 1 Job Title, Keywords

Remove City, State or Zip

Add Comparison Search Job Titles Only

Average Salary of Jobs Matching Your Search

In USD as of Jun 26, 201440k80k120kFirefighter EMT Paramedic in The Villages, FL

$67,000 The Villages Florida

You seriously accept a post from Indeed as opposed to the actual job listing by the TV????
VILLAGES PUBLIC SAFETY DEPARTMENT
3035 MORSE BOULEVARD
THE VILLAGES, FLORIDA 32163

Updated: March 20, 2014

Classification: Firefighter/EMT

Villages Public Safety Department is currently hiring for Firefighter/EMT. National Testing Network (NTN) FireTEAM and a valid CPAT are required for this position. All testing must be completed by April 14, 2014.

Salary Information: $30,900

But hey, choose your sources...............

Dr. Seuss
Old 06-26-2014, 09:13 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Well, in a nutshell, I think that those who risk their lives to serve others are entitled to a living wage. When you consider the amount of knowledge those in EMS and Fire need and the stress they must make snap decisions in they deserve more. I know that a 55+ community throws a wrench in my next statement, but in the real world, I think there are benefits when firefighters and cops, etc, can afford to be your neighbors and their kids go to the same schools as your kids do.

As many here know, I want to be totally honest....I am in The Villages everyday working, but when I bought down here I did not know about TV, and bought my home just south of you good people in another 55+ community....so while I work everyday here and really love The Villages, I do not want anyone to think I live here when I actually do not.....It just seems like I do because I am here more then I am home lately....lol.

I hope my last post did not sound unfriendly....it's just that I served in a community where many folks worked hard to "cut that department",etc, always saying "those guys make too much", etc......but we all came into the world naked and choose our paths. Some were jealous of my job, but they too could have taken the test, gone through the fire academy, took the training, etc....and they never saw the parts of the job that were somewhat difficult.

Respectfully, Frank
Old 06-26-2014, 09:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Well, against my better judgement, I will post. I should bite my tongue, but sometimes I find it hard to.

In my previous life, I was a carrier firefighter/medic/EMS Instructor in New York State. (IAFF Union Local 896).

I loved my job. I think I was paid well, but there were days where I earned my whole pay in 5 minutes. I did and saw things most could not or would not do. I've pulled folks out of burning buildings, cut people out of unrecognizable vehicles, pushed drugs and IV's into people trying to keep them alive, etc,etc.

I loved my job. I worked crazy hours, holidays, etc. Missed birthday parties, etc.....no complaints, as it was the career I chose and I knew the deal.

Yes, I slept at night.....sometimes. There were also nights when I did not, going to one call after another. When a firefighter sleeps, it is always a light sleep. You go from pillow to turnouts in less then a minute, and out the door driving to a fire in less then a minute. You instantly know the address, where it is and the best way to get there. Where to park the rig, where the hydrants are, etc,etc.

It was a great job, as no two days were the same.

So..now I'm retired with a good firefighter pension. I move to Florida. I find out my taxes and cost of living are much less down here. I also meet the local firefighter's and medics. I see many of them are Paramedics. Good. I see they make way less then I did. Sad.

I see my taxes are way less then they were in NY. I guess that is good.....but I'm also smart enough to know that as I get older, my chances of needing a good Paramedic/EMS crew goes up significantly.

So......I think I will support the firefighters and the EMS service and law enforcement.....I KNOW I'll need them some day, and I want them to earn a good living wage. If my taxes need to go up to do that....it's fine with me.

As to the volunteer comment, I support and respect volunteers. I taught hundreds of them and made them EMT's, etc. The fact of the matter is that there is no "free lunch". With the huge population here and the volume of calls, you NEED a paid department. Be careful what you wish for.

The way I see it, a good fire and EMS department is more important then a lot of places money goes down here.....many times the folks who complain about these essential services always seem to find money for going out to that fancy restaurant, greens fees, that new driver, etc, etc. Where are the priorities?

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I know I should stick to answering home inspection questions. I hope I did not offend anyone. When looking at the current state of the world, we are all very blessed.

Respectfully, Frank
Thank you, Frank. And bless people like you.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Well, in a nutshell, I think that those who risk their lives to serve others are entitled to a living wage. When you consider the amount of knowledge those in EMS and Fire need and the stress they must make snap decisions in they deserve more. I know that a 55+ community throws a wrench in my next statement, but in the real world, I think there are benefits when firefighters and cops, etc, can afford to be your neighbors and their kids go to the same schools as your kids do.

As many here know, I want to be totally honest....I am in The Villages everyday working, but when I bought down here I did not know about TV, and bought my home just south of you good people in another 55+ community....so while I work everyday here and really love The Villages, I do not want anyone to think I live here when I actually do not.....It just seems like I do because I am here more then I am home lately....lol.

I hope my last post did not sound unfriendly....it's just that I served in a community where many folks worked hard to "cut that department",etc, always saying "those guys make too much", etc......but we all came into the world naked and choose our paths. Some were jealous of my job, but they too could have taken the test, gone through the fire academy, took the training, etc....and they never saw the parts of the job that were somewhat difficult.

Respectfully, Frank
Dude , you owe no one an explanation or apology. You deserve all that you have earned and much more....

Dr. Seuss
Old 06-26-2014, 11:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Here is yet another salary .

Villages Public Safety Dept. is Hiring FF/Paramedic

Posted on March 31, 2014 by Lake Tech Staff

VILLAGES PUBLIC SAFETY DEPARTMENT
3035 MORSE BOULEVARD
THE VILLAGES, FLORIDA 32163
VCDD Public Safety
Updated: March 20, 2014
Classification: Firefighter/Paramedic
Villages Public Safety Department is currently hiring for Firefighter/Paramedic. National Testing Network (NTN) FireTEAM and a valid CPAT are required for this position. All testing must be completed by April 14, 2014.
Salary Information: $42,653.14
Department Information: Established in 1999, The Villages Public Safety Department (VPSD) is an internationally accredited fire department that challenges the norms and standards within the emergency services community. In our short fourteen year history, we have grown from one fire station with nine firefighters and one fire chief to seven fire stations with eighty-one operations personnel and twelve administrative staff. Villages Public Safety Department protects 36 square miles with a population of approximately 100,000. Our department responds to over 14,000 requests for service annually, with the call types mirroring most fire departments in the United States.
City Information: The Villages is the largest single-site planned retirement community in the United States (at least 80% age 55 and over), spanning over 26,000 acres in three adjoining counties in Central Florida. An hour north of Orlando, The Villages is planned to be home to 2.7 million square feet of commercial buildings and retail tenants. A rated charter high school, middle school, and elementary school are provided services by VPSD and the children of VPSD personnel may attend these schools.
The Villages is currently home to approximately 100,000 residents with a projected build out of more than 109,444 by 2017. Over 15,000 people work in The Villages, or for businesses in the thriving community, which has its own newspaper, radio station and television station. Residents living in The Villages have an average income that is almost double the U.S. average and are dedicated to supporting business and community growth.
Population: Approximately 100,000
Job Requirements
  • US Citizen: Yes
  • High School Grad/GED: Yes
  • Valid FLORIDA State Drivers License: Yes
  • Ability to Read/Speak English: Yes
  • Vision: Per NFPA 1582
Academy Certification:
  • EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operation Course) 16-hour certificate
  • CPR Certification
  • AIDS/HIV (4 hours) training certificate
  • ACLS or C4 Certification
  • State of Florida Firefighter II Certification
  • State of Florida Paramedic Certification
  • Successful completion of National Testing Network FireTeam Testing and CPAT
  • FFP1301 Fire Service Hydraulics certification*
  • FFP1302 Fire Apparatus Operations certification*
*Preference will be given to applicants who have these certifications. Firefighters hired without these certifications must obtain them within one year of the date of hire.
Prior Experience: Qualifying on pre-employment requirements will include clinical knowledge and skills evaluation; oral review panel; acceptable driving record; drug screening and medical examination; tobacco certification; and background reference checks. Candidates must not have any disqualifiers (see below) in background. Work schedule will include evenings, weekends and holidays; rotating shifts.
Probationary Period 1 Year
  • Able to successfully complete orientation and probationary performance requirements as conducted by the Department
  • Able to meet and maintain Department requirements of health, physical and mental condition
  • Probationary firefighters who self terminate employment with the District will be required to reimburse the District up to $4,000 of the costs incurred in the employment process
Please direct all questions to NTN Customer Support. Do NOT call the department directly. Do NOT fill out the District application. Candidates moving onto the second hiring phase will be invited to fill out the District application at that time. Candidates must fill out the NTN application as part of the testing process. If you have been a Villages Public Safety Department volunteer for at least one year, please add this to the certifications section of the NTN application.
To apply and schedule pre-employment testing (FireTEAM), go to http://www.nationaltestingnetwork.com and click on FIREFIGHTER JOBS. Select the department and read over all the requirements and if qualified, select a testing location and a time and date for testing on the website calendar. A CPAT can also be scheduled through the website by clicking on the CPAT icon on the main page of the website and then following the instructions. For questions concerning the testing process, please contact NTN Customer Support at 866-563-3882. For updates and new job announcements, Like National Testing Network on Facebook.

This entry was posted in Health Science, Law, Public Safety, Corrections & Security and tagged EMT, Firefighter, Paramedic. Bookmark the permalink.

← DAmico & Associates is Hiring
Old 06-27-2014, 12:31 AM
Sage

How much did they make on their calendar, "Firefighters of the Viilages"?

Last edited by DougB; 06-27-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Let me make clear my comment about the nutshell was to bring more on from Frank....Frank is a favorite person of mine who did a great inspection, and in that short time impressed me as a person of fabulous integrity.

I wanted to know if there was still some tongue biting going on...and maybe some ideas for the public how to support our Public Safety personnel.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:39 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Oh...thank you Kitty for the kind words. That is what I love about my business....I get to meet the most wonderful folks here in The Villages! So many of you are so wonderful, I wish I had many of you as neighbors!

I used to tell folks if they really want to help their local fire department, please don't bury the hydrant in front of their house with snow....keep it shoveled and clear. I guess that advice is not very helpful down here!

Keeping a list of your Meds in an east place to find, like the refrigerator door.

Keeping your house decluttered so crews can get to you and get a guerney into your house easily.

Learn CPR..it's easier then ever now.

Pull over to the right when you see lights and sirens coming. If you don't know what to do, just stop. They will go around you.

Keep your home fire-safe...especially the garage.

If you see then in a supermarket, let them butt ahead in the checkout...they are on duty and the faster they eat the less chance of them being interrupted on a call....

That's all I can think of right now...but it is early and I have not had any coffee yet.

Well, off to The Villages to another inspection! Have a wonderful day folks!

Respectfully, Frank
Old 06-27-2014, 07:29 AM
Sage

Personally, I would say that $42,000 is a mighty good salary for the firefighter job. It is a starting salary that will go higher as they advance.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:54 AM
Send a message via ICQ to SoccerCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
How many know and care that The Villages allegedly pay their Fireman and EMT's about 20% LESS than the area's around us. That is why we have a higher turn over of these very valuable skills. I just found out today and was surprisd. When we have needed them for any reason (e.g. replace smoke detectors etc.) they have been proompt and courteous and make you proud they are our firemen or EMT's. I doubt this note will do anything to help them get up to the local standards but at least it brings the terrible treatment to the attention of all readers. Be sure to say thanks when you see them as the least we can give them is appreciation for all that they do and for less rewards than others.
I don't understand. Either they ARE paid less, or NOT. ALLEDGEDLY ???
Old 06-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
How much did they make on their calendar, "Firefighters of the Viilages"?
Probably a lot more than would be made by a "Pickleball Players of The Villages" calendar.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Unhappy Surprised

To say I was surprised how little respect and gratitude many of The Villager's give to the Firefighters and EMT's would be an understatement. When your laying on the floor with the initial stroke and you are praying the EMT's get there fast! Or if your house is on fire you pray the firefighters get there fast!. I don't think at that point you would say they are being over paid or don't derserve a competitive salary. How about the ones (we have some in the family) that retire only to find out the years of inhaling smoke, chemicals and fumes have destroyed their lungs or given them serious lung problems? Maybe they should go home at night and not sleep in the Firehouse and if your house is on fire they can drive from Ocala, Leesburg, etc and try to dimish the loss. I guess about $769 a week is fine to raise a family of 4, pay the mortgages, take a vacation, pay insurances, etc. By the way that is how much $40,000 translates to weekly pay.I am sad so many have expressed such lack of respect.
As an aside, "Alleged" means without proof. I don't have sworn statements that have been duly notarized and therefore must say alleged. .
Old 06-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Sage

Paramedic Salary | Salary.com
According to this site, our salaries are above national average.
I'm grateful as you are. Paramedics airbagged my mother saving her life countless times, and she was also rescued from a fire.

I don't see this community as ungrateful.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.