First Impression

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Default First Impression

Hello There!
As I type this I feel as if I’m jumping into the deep end of the pool as this is my first post, been reading the forum for about a year, and currently do not live in The Villages. I believe there are many like me that read with the intent to learn as much as possible, taking much of what is said with a grain of salt, and are thankful to those that are more comfortable contributing. Seldom do I contribute to any type of forum and when I do I usually try my best to contribute useful information, thus this post.

Since we visited a few 55+ communities last month including The Villages I figure I owe something back to this community as it relates to my impression of The Villages. To provide a frame of reference: We stayed in the area, not in the Villages, for 3-days; were provided a personal tour by a Villages sales rep, rooted around on our own, ate at least 3xs in the Villages, and for the most part walked around much and observed. I grew up in the Philadelphia suburbs, have traveled the world with the AF, and have live in the Midwest (now) for over 20 years.

First and foremost The Villages is truly a beautiful thing with much variety, and plenty to see and do. I can’t imagine anyone not finding something to do. One of the most lasting memories I have is eating outside at Sonny’s BBQ and seeing a very busy intersection with many close calls, which leads to this. As we sat there I couldn’t help but think about how The Villages reminded me of living on an Air Force base. All types of people from all over the world coming from every type of living condition you could imagine now having to live together. I saw type triple As racing to the stop signs, to the parking spaces, lined up for the movies, running me over on the side walk. I also saw and spoke with those that you could just tell are taking the time to enjoy just how lucky and special it is to be in The Villages. To some running around is normal! It’s a sign of thriving. To others sipping lemonade and watching the sun go down is the best part of the day.

So…..I believe those who’ve had the opportunity to live in different environments and living conditions and have lived with people from different backgrounds and experiences understand why behavior in The Villages is what it is and moving/living there may be less stressful then if you’ve lived in a particular part of the world your whole life which may require more of an adjustment.

Guess I could have just sent the last paragraph but my hope is that all of what I’ve shared is helpful to others like me and my wife, trying to figure out what’s best for our future.

Peace be with you!
Old 03-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Send a message via AIM to Mickedamouse24
Default Give it another try!

Try visiting again after April ... All the snowbirds have returned to their native roosts and things are a lot more tranquil!!!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:04 PM

Fla Dreamer I totally agree with your observation. I have always felt that TV feels like a military community. Everyone is from somewhere else, they look out for each other and people come and go. As a former military family, we have always been open to new adventures and TV is certainly that!! After two years we still love it and are happy to wake up in paradise everyday.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Veteran member

Having spent more than 30 years on Air Force bases around the world, TV is much like a military community but with golf carts. TV is self sufficient, secure and full of diverse and mostly like minded, successful people. This place does get crazy from December to April but the rest of the year is much more laid back. Come on in and trade your military ID card for a Villages ID card.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.