First time buyer - golf cart

Old 05-16-2024, 04:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,735 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGiles336 View Post
Country Villages Power Equipment is THE BEST PLACE TO BUY a golf cart. Great price, Great Service!!!
I don't know if they are the best, but I bought mine there and saved a couple of thousand dollars, and I've been very happy with their service. I have a 5 year history with them and would highly recommend them to anyone.

At least check out their prices before you drop an extra grand or two inside the bubble.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,416 Times in 4,387 Posts

Just make sure, if you're buying "outside the bubble" to compare "apples to apples"...

Are you comparing a cart with slightly upgraded seats to one with El Tigre seats (much more $$$)?

Does it have the same other "bells and whistles" that are pretty much standard when buying from TV or Cars & Clubs"?

Some don't care about those things. To others they are very important.

My first cart was a used 2013 Yamaha cart (originally purchased from Carts and clubs). It had upgraded seats with arm rests, but the were only "so-so" comfortable.

I kept it about 16 months.

Then, I bought a used 2017 QuieTech Yamaha with high back El Tigre seats, LED running lights, overhead tray, locking dash (originally sold by TV).

MUCH more comfortable, better suspension, quieter. I'm very happy with the upgrade

-Tom Petty
Old 05-17-2024, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melpetezrinski View Post
Carts and Clubs is no longer in business.
Not sure on ur opinion on Carts and Clubs business is no longer in operation ? I observed a C&C repair truck in the Villages last week.. Although could be stolen?
Old 05-17-2024, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
If you want a gas yamaha cart, I would use Carts and Clubs in Ocala. I saved about $3000 over the TV golf Cart store price. I have heard good things about the Store in Webster also. Service is actually easier with places outside TV because they come and do the maintenance in your driveway so you don't need a loaner cart.
Carts and Clubs is now owned by The Villages….
Old 05-17-2024, 07:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,188 Times in 592 Posts
Default Country Village Plwer

Country Village Power Equipment - Home

Use Country Village Power, identical carts to the Villages but thousands cheaper. It’s in Webster about 20 minutes outside of the Villages and offers all services along with free delivery. Great staff and service! You will see their ad on Goldwingnut videos.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 05-17-2024, 07:38 AM

I bought a 2022 new gas golf cart at Carts and Clubs in Ocala. It was cheaper than the Villagers golf cart. Good service and no issues.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melpetezrinski View Post
Carts and Clubs is no longer in business.
Carts and Clibs was in business two months ago when they serviced my cart. The Villages has bought them but they are still operating under the Carts and Vlib name.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Just make sure, if you're buying "outside the bubble" to compare "apples to apples"...

Are you comparing a cart with slightly upgraded seats to one with El Tigre seats (much more $$$)?

Does it have the same other "bells and whistles" that are pretty much standard when buying from TV or Cars & Clubs"?

Some don't care about those things. To others they are very important.

My first cart was a used 2013 Yamaha cart (originally purchased from Carts and clubs). It had upgraded seats with arm rests, but the were only "so-so" comfortable.

I kept it about 16 months.

Then, I bought a used 2017 QuieTech Yamaha with high back El Tigre seats, LED running lights, overhead tray, locking dash (originally sold by TV).

MUCH more comfortable, better suspension, quieter. I'm very happy with the upgrade
My previous cart was a 2017 QuieTech Yamaha with high back El Tigre seats. Very good ride. My new cart was bought outside of The Villages at Botero Carts in Ocala. I really wanted a forward facing 4 seater, but the Yamaha version is way too long. The Evolution D5 Ranger is only 11" longer than my old Yamaha.

Even with the upgrade to the larger lithium battery (205ah), it was still $10K less than a comparable Yamaha, Star Ev, Atlas, or Club Car.

I find the ride to be better than my previous Yamaha Drive 2, and I have WAY more features: Self cancelling turn signals, adjustable steering column, regenerative braking, built in soundbar, automotive style steering wheel and dashboard display, 3 point automotive seat belts, rear cup holders and grab bars... the list goes on.

I'm at 1,500 miles now and will never go back to a Yamaha.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:11 AM
Default Why gas????

Electric can go 40 miles to 90 miles, no noise, less breakdowns????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURLYSANDY View Post
Hello all - this will be our 1st time buying a gas golf cart, so I guess need advice from the Retailer. Am I correct in assuming that we will get a better deal going outside TV? If so any recommendations please for a trustworthy dealer who would see us "Greenhorns" coming a mile off.... Thanks
Old 05-17-2024, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Are you full time? Then rent a cart for week at a time. Try a 2 seat gas and electric. Or a four seat front face or rear face. Then after deciding Gas or Electric, narrow down with your budget, service, and get better seats, because nobody drives 15 minutes in a cart anymore.

That said if you are part time, rent a cart when here, then you don’t have to deal with a cart sitting for endless amounts of time.
Very informative post. Personally, I would point the new Villager in the direction of Electric - carts. They have many advantages. Too many for me to list. I would suggest reading and Googling about E-golf carts. After that pick a dealer - probably outside The Village area if you want the best deal.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
I would buy used first from a private buyer. Then as you drive around, you will realize certain things you want that may not be on that cart, or things that are on that cart that you realize you don't need or want. THEN, you can make a uniformed decision when it's time to buy new. BTW...don't forget to take the golf cart safety clinic.....it may just save your life.
Here is a seldom mentioned DOWNSIDE of buying a USED golf cart. Many people "jury rig" the accelerator to attain top speeds of 20 to 30 or more MPH. You can hear the engines straining to go those speeds and it is just like "beating up a horse or a car". Probably 40 % of the owners of gas Golf Cart in The Villages DO this. They MAY undo this before selling so BUYER BEWARE.
.......I am NOT sure whether or not an ELECTRIC cart can be "jacked-up" the same way and whether or not it would hurt an ELECTRICAL MOTOR. I will GUESS that electrical can stand abuses better than gas.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Here is a seldom mentioned DOWNSIDE of buying a USED golf cart. Many people "jury rig" the accelerator to attain top speeds of 20 to 30 or more MPH. You can hear the engines straining to go those speeds and it is just like "beating up a horse or a car". Probably 40 % of the owners of gas Golf Cart in The Villages DO this. They MAY undo this before selling so BUYER BEWARE.
.......I am NOT sure whether or not an ELECTRIC cart can be "jacked-up" the same way and whether or not it would hurt an ELECTRICAL MOTOR. I will GUESS that electrical can stand abuses better than gas.
Pretty easy to defeat the mechanical governor on a gas cart and let the engine spin to the max. Likely puts added stress and wear on the engine. Electric carts are harder to do. You need to hook it up to a computer and re-program the speed controller. Pretty sure you could abuse the drive system at the extreme either way.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURLYSANDY View Post
Hello all - this will be our 1st time buying a gas golf cart, so I guess need advice from the Retailer. Am I correct in assuming that we will get a better deal going outside TV? If so any recommendations please for a trustworthy dealer who would see us "Greenhorns" coming a mile off.... Thanks
This is to everyone buying a used golf cart. Be careful! There are many unscrupulous sellers trying to take advantage of inexperienced buyers. Look at the serial number for starters. If it's not pictured in the ad, there might be a reason. If it's a Quietech Yamaha, you want it to start with JOD-xxxxxx. Quietech started in 2017, so the serial number will be JOD-0xxxxx, 2018 will be JOD-1xxxxx, 2019 will be JOD-2xxxxx and so on.If it starts with JOB, it is the fleet version, meaning it most likely came off a lease from a golf course and has been reconditioned to look and feel like a PTV. The miles/hours will be unknown, so don't trust the sellers number.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:29 AM
Default Country Village Power Equipment

[QUOTE=CURLYSANDY;2331373]Hello all - this will be our 1st time buying a gas golf cart, so I guess need advice from the Retailer. Am I correct in assuming that we will get a better deal going outside TV? If so any recommendations please for a trustworthy dealer who would see us "Greenhorns" coming a mile off.... Thanks[/QUOTE

Consider Country Village Power Equipment in Webster. We bought a golf cart there and although further away, got more for our money. they also have some different options, not available in the villages.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:55 AM
Send a message via AIM to ragtag22 Send a message via Skype™ to ragtag22
Default Carts and Clubs in Ocala

Go to Carts and Clubs they do some upgrades that others don't and its part of their standard package.

Tags
time, cart, golf, recommendations, trustworthy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.