Fixing crack in Lanai ceiling

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2021, 09:48 AM

Understood but we have a hot tub in our open Lanai which we haven't used yet, so would the heat from the tub make any difference? One thing we noticed was slight shadow's of the beams on the ceiling when we bought the house. We think it was from the previous owners using candles and the hot tub. We repainted the ceiling high with Sherwin Williams outdoor primer/paint so we will see if the shadows come back.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,747 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Understood but we have a hot tub in our open Lanai which we haven't used yet, so would the heat from the tub make any difference? One thing we noticed was slight shadow's of the beams on the ceiling when we bought the house. We think it was from the previous owners using candles and the hot tub. We repainted the ceiling high with Sherwin Williams outdoor primer/paint so we will see if the shadows come back.
I wouldn't insulate the ceiling because of the hot tub, unless you want to heat the lanai in cold weather. In any event, I don't think an insulated ceiling will have any effect on the ceiling crack issue.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:45 AM

agree - Lori is an artist.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Try calling Lori at A Touch Of Drywall. 352-636-6859. She fixed several tape pull-aways for us . Part of her patching process includes applying additional drywall screws along the affected joints to make sure everything is solid and stable. She matched the knock down texture perfectly. You will have to touch up the paint once everything dries. She puts plastic drops all over the room so dust problems are kept to a minimum. I personally felt that she undercharged for her time and the work performed and included a "tip" to bring it up to the worth of the work she did for us.
We had Lori look at a ceiling crack, she walked in & took a look at it and told us NO I can’t do it. ??
Old 01-05-2022, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
Two strips of pine painted, a couple of nails, voila!
[url=https://photos.app.goo.gl/sm3rRzm9z5678Stj8]
A good solution. People do not seem to realize, molding is used to cover disguise such issues. Wood-framing-will always move as it absorbs and looses moisture. Sheet rock does not move.
Old 02-25-2022, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWR View Post
I applied a molding over the top of each failed joint. These locations were the same dimension between each other. Then ran the molding perpendicular creating panels. Painted it out and the cracks will never be seen again and the panels add a decorative element.

Did something similar in the garage.
Robert, feel like posting a pic of your lanai ceiling ? I wanted to cover with vinyl soffit breadboard. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
We have a large (8' by 8') hot tub set for 102 degrees in our screened lanai, for 8 years, no problems. Recently developed a crack in the lanai ceiling away from the hot tube, appears to be due to weather temperature changes.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
We have a large (8' by 8') hot tub set for 102 degrees in our screened lanai, for 8 years, no problems. Recently developed a crack in the lanai ceiling away from the hot tube, appears to be due to weather temperature changes.
Hey Villagetinker,

We can take this off-channel if you like, so as to not hijack the thread - but it seems to have mostly played out, I want to know more about your hot tub. 8 years! Mind if I ask a couple questions? I assume this is a "freestanding" above ground type? Electric or gas. If electric, 110 or 220? Any issues? Approximate energy usage (how much more per month to run)? Do you keep it on year round? How often to treat/drain/clean? Would you put one in again?

Thanks!
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 02-26-2022, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfriendly View Post
Robert, feel like posting a pic of your lanai ceiling ? I wanted to cover with vinyl soffit breadboard. Thanks.
Any mistake will show up over time. That suggestion by another villager to cover the joint with molding is a common use for molding-to cover and disguise problems. Today people find traditional cover ups attractive-such as crown molding which was in the past used t disguise the impossible to achieve perfect ceiling to wall joint with REAL traditional plaster.

Not sure I understand what you are trying to do. Vinyl will move far less than wood. If, you will need to apply wide WOOD you will need to allow it to move. If it is securely fastened on both sides of a wide trim board, when it shrinks in dry weather, something has to give. The wood might split lengthwise.
Old 02-26-2022, 04:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Any mistake will show up over time. That suggestion by another villager to cover the joint with molding is a common use for molding-to cover and disguise problems. Today people find traditional cover ups attractive-such as crown molding which was in the past used t disguise the impossible to achieve perfect ceiling to wall joint with REAL traditional plaster.

Not sure I understand what you are trying to do. Vinyl will move far less than wood. If, you will need to apply wide WOOD you will need to allow it to move. If it is securely fastened on both sides of a wide trim board, when it shrinks in dry weather, something has to give. The wood might split lengthwise.
Absolutely false. Kiln dried wood when kept dry does not shrink or expand. Vinyl shrinks and expands with cool and heat and so does pvc . Why do you think vinyl siding is not nailed tightly?
Old 02-26-2022, 04:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frose View Post
quick fix is some stucco repair. correct fix, slab is separating. any other detectable cracks in the walls or corners?? I've seen this in a couple of houses in here.. sand base, incorrect compacting and poor quality cement.. hope that's not the case.
It is a Sheetrock ceiling not concrete
Old 04-29-2022, 08:00 AM

Follow-up on this topic.
So after doing some more research and investigation i found when visiting other neighbors and friends if you look hard enough you will find a crack in most open Lanai ceilings. Whether its a hairline or larger crack. Thinking about it, the problem could be from shoddy workmanship but also due to the attic air above the ceiling super heating in the summer.

The answer in my opinion is to install a solar attic fan to reduce the temperature in the attic and or insulate above the lanai. You are not doing this to save money but to have a more stable attic environment which will effect the living space in a small but positive way.

I called the Solar Guys but you can use whomever you want. I had a solar attic fan installed and had insulation blown in over my Lanai. What i found was after installing the attic fan the attic temperature so far hasn't gone over 100 degrees on a 95 degreee day. Now i don't have to worry about my stuff melting in the attic over the garage anymore and the garage is noticably cooler on very hot days. The ceiling on the Lanai doesn't feel hot to the touch any more.

The cost to do all this is not cheap but not crazy expensive and you get a Federal income tax credit on the solar fan. The Solar Guys did a great job, no mess, very professional and provided the necessary paperwork for the tax credit.

Again doing this work is not meant to save money but any lowering of the attic temperature will make the inside of your home cooler and make the A/C work less saving some money over time. And if i don't get any more cracks in my Lanai ceiling i won't have to spend money on repairs every so many years.

Last edited by jrref; 05-02-2022 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frose View Post
quick fix is some stucco repair. correct fix, slab is separating. any other detectable cracks in the walls or corners?? I've seen this in a couple of houses in here.. sand base, incorrect compacting and poor quality cement.. hope that's not the case.
Why would you try and scare somebody by posting their slab is bad? Oh, that's right you recently moved here and hate it. Is your year up yet so you can move?
Closed Thread

Tags
crack, noticable, ceiling, lanai, difficult

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.