Fixing crack in Lanai ceiling

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2021, 10:53 AM
Default Fixing crack in Lanai ceiling

A friend of mine has a crack in the seam in their Lanai ceiling. In this case it looks like the tape has separated so the section needs to be repaired. It's not a simple hairline crack that can be filled with caulk and re-painted.

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone that has a good record of being able to replair this type of problem? From talking with some people i know they say it's very difficult to get the "knock down" coating the same or even close to the original and the final repair is usually very noticable.

My guess is there has to be some sheetrock professionals that have the skill to do fix this so it's not too noticable.
Old 11-19-2021, 10:58 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,352 Times in 1,449 Posts

I fixed mine by mixing plaster with the ceiling paint to make a not too thick paste and then brushed it on with an artists brush. If the ceiling is relatively new it blends in very well if it's an older house you will see the difference in the paint color. It will come back again as they tend to close up in the heat of summer and then open back up again in the colder months. I now just live with it, it's not really that noticeable.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,747 Times in 5,255 Posts

Any drywall contractor can fix it, but the problem is that the crack will probably come back. The crack needs to be opened up and filled with a flexible caulking product that will expand and contract when the ceiling does. Most contractors will just apply a regular drywall compound and it will look great for several months until the crack returns.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:30 PM
Veteran member

Try calling Lori at A Touch Of Drywall. 352-636-6859. She fixed several tape pull-aways for us . Part of her patching process includes applying additional drywall screws along the affected joints to make sure everything is solid and stable. She matched the knock down texture perfectly. You will have to touch up the paint once everything dries. She puts plastic drops all over the room so dust problems are kept to a minimum. I personally felt that she undercharged for her time and the work performed and included a "tip" to bring it up to the worth of the work she did for us.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:05 PM

quick fix is some stucco repair. correct fix, slab is separating. any other detectable cracks in the walls or corners?? I've seen this in a couple of houses in here.. sand base, incorrect compacting and poor quality cement.. hope that's not the case.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:32 AM

Only one of the seams in the ceiling cracked. Looks like a bad taping job when the house was built. The joints where the ceiling meets the house are all good.

In my Lanai i had a couple of hairline cracks in a couple of ceiling seams so we caulked it with Lighthouse Products Elastomeric Gun Grade Patching Compound Kover Krack, then painted. The folks at Sherwin Williams recommended it. It's mainly used to fill cracks in exterior stucco but it's an exterior and interior product and should be good for both. They said although the crack will eventually come back, this product should last many years. It's a textured caulk so it fills and covers well. After painting you can't see the cracks but i'll let you know how long it actually lasts.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

I thought crack was illegal...........
Old 11-21-2021, 01:18 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,305 Times in 563 Posts

fiber-mesh tape does wonders! The question is does your friend have a Roof leak or an attic moisture problem? Start High
Old 11-21-2021, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
I thought crack was illegal...........
Only the plumber's variety...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-21-2021, 09:46 AM
Default Cracked Lanai/Garage ceilings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
A friend of mine has a crack in the seam in their Lanai ceiling. In this case it looks like the tape has separated so the section needs to be repaired. It's not a simple hairline crack that can be filled with caulk and re-painted.

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone that has a good record of being able to replair this type of problem? From talking with some people i know they say it's very difficult to get the "knock down" coating the same or even close to the original and the final repair is usually very noticable.

My guess is there has to be some sheetrock professionals that have the skill to do fix this so it's not too noticable.
Many, many posts here in TOTV about this.
In answer to your question, I recall that the info in Post #4 is accurate according to others who have posted here over the years. I think that she requires the ceiling in lanai be insulated before she repairs.

Here is some info from "The Property Owners Association" POA of The Villages | Property Owners Association of the Villages regarding their request from owners to document and mail them pictures of the cracking. They received over one thousand responses.

"Cracked Lanai & Ceiling Issues- During 2017 the POA was contacted by over 1,000 residents who experienced cracks in the drywall of their lanai or garage ceilings. The POA put together a team to inspect these situations and hired an independent engineer & contractors (with no ties to the Villages’) who visited over 100 of these homes. They found that most of the homes were built after 2008. The affected areas were isolated to non-temperature- controlled spaces & they were not insulated. In 2018 the Biller Reinhart Engineering firm issued its final report which indicated there were no violations of Florida building codes. The engineering firm believes that the observed cracking appears to be due exposure to environmental conditions such as temperature changes & humidity. Although there were no code violations, but based upon recommendations by the engineer, the POA believes that better quality materials could have been used to ensure higher quality. The POA hopes that the Developer will take this information to his sub-contractors & insist on newer standards to improve the quality of construction and prevent a similar problem from recurring"
Old 11-21-2021, 10:33 AM

Two strips of pine painted, a couple of nails, voila!
[url=https://photos.app.goo.gl/sm3rRzm9z5678Stj8]

Last edited by oldyeller; 11-21-2021 at 10:35 AM. Reason: don't want my name to appear
Old 11-21-2021, 11:22 AM
Default Dry Wall Repair

Call Lori Krusts of A Touch of Dry Wall she is the best
She repaired my ceiling in the bedroom and you cant tell at all where she repaired it.

Quote:

Old 11-21-2021, 11:48 AM

I applied a molding over the top of each failed joint. These locations were the same dimension between each other. Then ran the molding perpendicular creating panels. Painted it out and the cracks will never be seen again and the panels add a decorative element.

Did something similar in the garage.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:57 AM

I suspected that insulating the lanai ceiling might help. Are there any companies that you know here in the Villages that can blow in insulation over the lanai? Maybe though the soffits and not having to open up the ceiling?
Old 11-22-2021, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,747 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
I suspected that insulating the lanai ceiling might help. Are there any companies that you know here in the Villages that can blow in insulation over the lanai? Maybe though the soffits and not having to open up the ceiling?
If your lanai is not heated or cooled, adding insulation above the ceiling will be a waste of money. It won't accomplish anything. Insulation is only used to slow down the heat transfer between a conditioned space and an unconditioned space. That is why the builder doesn't insulate the ceilings above the lanai and the garage.
Closed Thread

Tags
crack, noticable, ceiling, lanai, difficult

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.