Flickering lights

Old 03-22-2024, 09:50 AM
Default Flickering lights

Is this “Normal” in TV? We just moved into a new home in Dabney and have an issue with the lights doing a momentary flicker just one quick flicker, then again a little later. This happens on fixtures we had an electrician install and ones the same electrical company installed during build. I am not blaming the local electrical company. We have seen this when the AC turns on, when the wash machine in an agitate cycle, and when a contractor starts a power tool at the house next door., and just randomly. I am going to ask the neighbors if they are experiencing this also. My wife will be contacting Eaton engineering (she dealt with them when she worked) we have an Eaton whole house surge protector installed, and we may contact local building inspectors. Any Thoughts?
Old 03-22-2024, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth1980 View Post
Is this “Normal” in TV? We just moved into a new home in Dabney and have an issue with the lights doing a momentary flicker just one quick flicker, then again a little later. This happens on fixtures we had an electrician install and ones the same electrical company installed during build. I am not blaming the local electrical company. We have seen this when the AC turns on, when the wash machine in an agitate cycle, and when a contractor starts a power tool at the house next door., and just randomly. I am going to ask the neighbors if they are experiencing this also. My wife will be contacting Eaton engineering (she dealt with them when she worked) we have an Eaton whole house surge protector installed, and we may contact local building inspectors. Any Thoughts?
We had the same issue when we moved in. Call Warranty. The electricians came out and replaced most of our bulbs. It seems some LED's are better than others. If I positioned my dimmers just so, I could get my kitchen pendant lights to strobe. Kinda cool if you're having a dance party. Not so cool if you're having a nice dinner. lol

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-22-2024, 10:33 AM

The electricity in the south is very stable and has not done things like you describe. I would start with warranty and with SECO and get the repair process started. That would be at no cost to you.
I have no flickers or any other indications that anything (ac, washer, dryer, fridge, etc) has just started or stopped.
I am guessing a loose connection in your power feed or breaker panel. That could be a hot wire or poor ground.
Old 03-22-2024, 11:40 AM

At my last house it was 90% LED bulbs and the only time I saw a flicker was when the cleanings lady's Oreck vacuum cleaner started. In three days prior to having the whole house surge protector installed, we never saw a flicker. Just spoke to next door neighbor, and he has no flickers at all, a.n I'm sure his LED's and dimmer switches are pretty much the same since the houses were built a few days apart.
Old 03-22-2024, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
We had the same issue when we moved in. Call Warranty. The electricians came out and replaced most of our bulbs. It seems some LED's are better than others. If I positioned my dimmers just so, I could get my kitchen pendant lights to strobe. Kinda cool if you're having a dance party. Not so cool if you're having a nice dinner. lol
Probably this.

Some dimmers they use can to be set for LED and calibrated to the bulbs.
Old 03-22-2024, 11:48 AM
Gold member

Definitely call the Warranty Department Home Page - The Villages Residential Construction and Home Warranty : The Villages Residential Construction and Home Warranty
Old 03-22-2024, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

As noted above, there are problems with some of the less expensive LED lights, as well as the dimmers. The first thing to check is to see if the LEDs are labeled as 'Dimmable' many of the cheaper LEDs are NOT dimmable and will exhibit strange behavior when connected to a dimmer. Also, I have seen reports of some dimmers being sensitive to dips or surges from other equipment.
I would hope home warranty would cover this, but if they do not, take the worse case location try changing ALL if the LED bulbs to name brand high-quality bulbs and if this does not fix the problem, then change out the dimmer to one that lists LEDs as a suitable load.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

I would never buy non-dimmable LED bulbs. The cost difference is not worth the savings. I think non-dimmable LEDs should be removed from the market.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:00 PM

We lived in our last house in NC for ten years and I only had to replace a few LED bulbs during that time. We purchased new construction in Richmond a little over a year ago and I'm replacing a bulb every month or so. I think the builders got a hold of a truckload of made in China rejects for a good price.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Replace the bulbs.

Last summer when temps were very high my kitchen bulbs would do the same thing.

Bulbs were older than yours. When I posed the question on here advise was to replace the bulbs making sure they are dimmable.

Did that and problem went away.
Old 03-22-2024, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Cases of certain lot number of bulbs used by many of the builders were defective. Every bulb inside and out had to be replaced in our house.

Bulbs Caused flickering for many homes. Galaxy, Pikes, and 2 other well known and trusted companies had to replace hundreds of bulbs.

Warranty is very aware just give them a call.
Old 03-22-2024, 02:17 PM

I just replaced 9 bulbs with new bulbs that I brought from my last house, and they still flickered, and this brand bulb worked fine at my last house. Lights on both dimmer switches and rocker switches flicker.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
I just replaced 9 bulbs with new bulbs that I brought from my last house, and they still flickered, and this brand bulb worked fine at my last house. Lights on both dimmer switches and rocker switches flicker.
Call warranty they will keep replacing bulbs until they stop flickering
Old 03-23-2024, 05:04 AM

Have warranty calibrate the dimmers as mentioned above. Worked for us.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Known good bulbs, not on a dimmer are flickering - Says you have a power feed problem.
If it is a loose connection, then it could be a fire hazard. When you read this, call SECO and Warranty immediately.

Tags
flicker, installed, eaton, company, electrical

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.