Florida sales taxes

Old 01-27-2024, 04:54 PM
Veteran member
Default Florida sales taxes

Confused or misled?

I'm having modifications done outside the house, on the driveway specifically. Got the bid and it includes 7% tax. Also having work planned for upgrading the garage. Got the bid; no tax included in the price. Are inside and outside contracted work taxed differently, or is one contractor padding the bill and the other guy is eating the tax?

Old 01-27-2024, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Confused or misled?

I'm having modifications done outside the house, on the driveway specifically. Got the bid and it includes 7% tax. Also having work planned for upgrading the garage. Got the bid; no tax included in the price. Are inside and outside contracted work taxed differently, or is one contractor padding the bill and the other guy is eating the tax?
This might help, What transactions are subject to the sales tax in Florida?, other option would be to call the sumter county office and ask them. I did not see a detailed list.

Old 01-27-2024, 11:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Confused or misled?

Years ago Home Depot did a kitchen installation for me and there was no sales tax. If I bought cabinets from them(only) and was told that the cabinets only were taxable. Told me that complete job was a service and not taxable. Looks like the outside contractor is charging you 7% for tax and putting it in his pocket

Old 01-28-2024, 12:22 AM

Florida Sales & Use Tax for Construction & Improvements = https://www.floridarevenue.com/forms...t/gt800067.pdf

Florida sales tax is sometime confusing. For example, if you buy a newspaper from a retail store (i.e., 7-11), it is subject to sales tax. If you buy the same newspaper from a vending machine is not subject to sales tax. If you buy pine straw from a big box store, it is taxable. If you buy the same pine straw from the farmer (producer), the pine straw is not subject to sales tax. Florida sales & use tax law is very specific.

Old 01-28-2024, 09:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,609 Times in 946 Posts

Get another estimate and see if it’s taxed.

Old 01-28-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
This might help, What transactions are subject to the sales tax in Florida?, other option would be to call the sumter county office and ask them. I did not see a detailed list.
Generally speaking, the materials for the job would be subject to the tax, but not the labor. That's corroborated by that link above.

If they are trying to tax you on the labor, either they don't know the law, or are trying to squeeze you.

Old 01-29-2024, 04:21 AM
Veteran member

If you really want to avoid sales tax from someone you are employing.
Sort of ask is there a difference if you pay cash.
There are many who will jump at this.

Old 01-29-2024, 05:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
If you really want to avoid sales tax from someone you are employing.
Sort of ask is there a difference if you pay cash.
There are many who will jump at this.
I had one contractor tell me the estimate was if paid by credit card. If I paid by check price was 5% less and actual cash was 10% less.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:18 AM

I was charged a tax
I was also told if I used a credit card I would be paying 3.5% surcharge

Old 01-29-2024, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

"Generally, when installing or repairing tangible personal property, parts and labor are taxable. If the job is “labor only” it is not taxable, but the repairer must document that no parts or other items were incorporated into or attached to the repaired item." (Florida Department of Revenue)

Hope this helps.

Old 01-29-2024, 07:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Years ago Home Depot did a kitchen installation for me and there was no sales tax. If I bought cabinets from them(only) and was told that the cabinets only were taxable. Told me that complete job was a service and not taxable. Looks like the outside contractor is charging you 7% for tax and putting it in his pocket
Not true he is taxing the materials. Just like if you bought tires and had them installed tax on tires not labor to install.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

Doesn't car washes charge you tax?

Is the tax for the soap or for the guys drying the car's labor?

I wouldn't pay tax on labor for work on my house.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Confused or misled?

It depends how the job is quoted. Generally improvements to real property are not taxable if quoted as a lump sum. If the materials are invoiced separately they are subject to tax, the labor is not.

If quoted as a lump sum the contractor pays sales tax when he purchases the materials.

I have a client that installs high end cabinets in homes. He charges no sales tax to the customer. If he installs an island that is permanently attached to the home - no sales tax. If the island is on wheels it is considered tangible personal property and my client charges sales tax.

If you are installing a driveway and are being quoted a lump sum there should be no sales tax.

Old 01-29-2024, 02:17 PM

I have a similar question regarding renting a home. We’ve been coming here for 20 years, renting 5 different houses. Only one charged 7% tax. What’s with that?

Old 01-29-2024, 03:53 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmartin View Post
I have a similar question regarding renting a home. We’ve been coming here for 20 years, renting 5 different houses. Only one charged 7% tax. What’s with that?
That’s a whole lot smarter than buying right now. It’s cheaper to rent than buy AND the property taxes are unreasonably high. Buying a newer home you are into about 10k annually for taxes (with bond) on a 500,000 dollar home.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Tags
tax, work, florida, included, price

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.