Florida Toll Roads

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2021, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernrider75 View Post
That is not correct. We have an Ezpass and still we’re charged for tolls going to Orlando airport. It only works in a very small area. We purchased a Sunpass and it has paid for itself already. Depends where you travel I guess.
i had that issue a few months ago. i went thru tolls thinking they were being paid, but received a statement in the mail for toll fees. i called & the rep said not all roads are equipped to handle the EZ-Pass as of yet, so i may continue to receive statements. i checked my bank book & sure enough the tolls were not deducted. now i have both the EZ Pass & Sunpass up now & havent had any problems,.....yet
Old 06-16-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And now, EZ Pass from the Northeast is accepted everywhere in Fla.

Uni works on Sunpass and most toll roads in FL as well as parking at Orlando and Tampa. It also works along east coast, Northeast as well as PA, OH, IN. It used to pe called EZ-Pass pro or some such.

https://www.cfxway.com/uni/
Old 06-16-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Many exits on toll roads in Florida are not staffed and they have license plate readers that will send you a toll bill. Also there are permanent and portable transponders you can buy at stores like Publix where you set up an account online with a balance from which tolls are deducted.
No exits are manned any longer if you use the late reader it's more expensive than using Sun Pass. I bought a one vehicle Sun Pass at Publix went online and set it up, it works great.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Many exits on toll roads in Florida are not staffed and they have license plate readers that will send you a toll bill. Also there are permanent and portable transponders you can buy at stores like Publix where you set up an account online with a balance from which tolls are deducted.
Just found that this out from my daughter, I saw a letter from toll authority so I asked what happened (you know Dad always wants to know). She told em that nothing was wrong that they just send a bill to the address pinned to the tag.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:47 AM
Default EZ-Pass on FL Turnpije

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernrider75 View Post
That is not correct. We have an Ezpass and still we’re charged for tolls going to Orlando airport. It only works in a very small area. We purchased a Sunpass and it has paid for itself already. Depends where you travel I guess.
Drove to Orlando Airport yesterday. Noticed on a few (couple) of "drive through" toll booths "Sunpass Toll Paid"(or something similar. I only have an EZ-Pass, so it does work (some places at least) on the Turnpike.
On a previous trip to the airport (1-1/2 month ago), all of my toll charges were assigned to my license plate.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Currently in PA and using EZ Pass......also have Sun Pass. No change required for the EZ Pass in FL but need to upgrade to the pro transponder for Sun Pass to be used in other states. The dilemma, am I a Florida traitor if I keep the EZ PASS to save the 14 bucks or a PA traitor that gave me wide travel coverage for so many years lol
We are from PA too and are just going to use our ez pass. Going to get rid of the sun pass. Why not save the 15$. Be careful though. Ez pass was not accepted on Florida turnpike. I heard it was going to be but not sure if it is yet. Just all the other toll roads.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:38 PM

What pass would you recommend, driving from Nova Scotia Canada, to Florida?
Old 06-16-2021, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
My E-ZPass is from MD. Sooner or later they will discover I no longer live there or I am not using it enough and they will start charging me for the privilege of having it. For me, the Uni pass will give me Sun Pass discounts in FL, will also work in MD, but won't have the MD fee.

If it wasn't for the potential fee, I would keep the separate systems and just remember to put one in the protective bag so I don't get charged twice. MD charges a fee, your state might not.
I've never lived in Maryland, but my EZPass is a MD EZpass. You can order one from any participating EZPass state's website. I have to log in to the MD Ezpass site in order to access my account info.

And yeah you can use the ezpass only on certain roads, between certain exits of Florida. The rest is "coming soon" and has been for over two years. Eventually, supposedly, the entire state will be part of the ezpass network.

Meanwhile, the SunPass only works in Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina. If you want to also use it north of North Carolina, you have to have the SunPassPro.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I've never lived in Maryland, but my EZPass is a MD EZpass. You can order one from any participating EZPass state's website. I have to log in to the MD Ezpass site in order to access my account info.

And yeah you can use the ezpass only on certain roads, between certain exits of Florida. The rest is "coming soon" and has been for over two years. Eventually, supposedly, the entire state will be part of the ezpass network.

Meanwhile, the SunPass only works in Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina. If you want to also use it north of North Carolina, you have to have the SunPassPro.
Since your pass is under an address outside Maryland, do you pay $5/month just for the benefit of having the MD-based pass? The website says they *may* charge a fee if you don't have a MD address but I haven't found anyone yet in that situation.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-16-2021, 06:30 PM
Arrow FL just linked up with EZ-Pass system

See this article for the latest development on SunPass and EZ-Pass. Access Denied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtracer49 View Post
Please educate me on transponders and paying tolls in Florida.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judychrismac View Post
What pass would you recommend, driving from Nova Scotia Canada, to Florida?
Most of the tolls on that trip would be in New England down to below Baltimore and on the optional Express lanes below DC. I don't recall and more tolls below there and TV. They are all EZ-pass states.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:52 PM

We were dinged pretty good on our trip to The Villages last month. If these roads took the EZ-Pass, the tolls never showed up on our EZ-Pass account, but the car rental company got us later.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 8.47.48 PM.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	89861  
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, toll, roads, educate, transponders

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.