Floridian lifestyle

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2017, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Laid back or what ever it is called.......December through January sitting next to our pool in the sun in my shorts and T shirt with a glass of cognac and cigar while reading emails from friends and relatives talking about the 15 inches of snow they just got!!!!

I always know when I am too far north........... if/when there are no palm trees.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Commuted to nyc, by car, motorcycle, bus/subway, long island railroad/subway, express bus and every combination thereof.

People in the villages that don't know NYC commuting would never believe the time and cost.
I got a darn good idea what it's like. I commuted from the suburbs to Boston for work. I had to leave my home by 5AM and I won't even mention what winter commuting was like
Old 12-18-2017, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I got a darn good idea what it's like. I commuted from the suburbs to Boston for work. I had to leave my home by 5AM and I won't even mention what winter commuting was like
Feel your pain ............ We commuted from the North Shore to Burlington (me), he had to go down to Norwood! When he was not in Norwood he was catching a flight out of Logan. 128 year round it's a death trap.

Love TV I should add that yes, I miss my two sons and my gandchildren, BUT when we visit the kids are always busy and the grandchildren are gone most of the time. What on earth would we do back there?

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 12-18-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
So hard to leave where I have been used to but if I am going to worry about money every day (taxes, oil heat, etc.) then it is time to move on.

Just hope the grass is greener on the other side.
I'm going to bite the bullet and say this .......... My very personal opinion is that you are never going to be happy anywhere. You are living in the past with your need to have your job back and I don't think you can move on.

Didn't your job offer retirement counseling when you took retirement? Both of us had several sessions with a retirement counselor provided by the company to help us ease into retiring.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-18-2017, 09:34 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Ahh yes .. central and western new york .. Where they turn off the blue sky on Labor Day and dont turn it back on til after Memorial Day .. where winters are measured bu either the number of consecutive days below zero, or the number of consecutive days with one or more inches of snow .. I really miss my 7.5 HP John Deere Snowblower ... NOT
Old 12-18-2017, 09:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I'm going to bite the bullet and say this .......... My very personal opinion is that you are never going to be happy anywhere. You are living in the past with your need to have your job back and I don't think you can move on.

Didn't your job offer retirement counseling when you took retirement? Both of us had several sessions with a retirement counselor provided by the company to help us ease into retiring.
You are so correct. When I was first married we moved away from Texas to Florida. I was telling my doctor about our move and she made this well known comment. Happiness is not anyplace, or with anyone. Happiness is found within yourself. If you plan to be happy, you will. If you plan to be unhappy, you will. Of course I was excited about moving to a beach city and we were very happy there. We have moved to several state in our 58 years together. It’s always an adjustment but I have always happy where ever we lived.

Last edited by perrjojo; 12-18-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Gold member

I moved here five years ago from Central NY and haven't looked back. I try to think of anything I miss, and I have to dig deep. I find the lifestyle here just perfect for me. Obviously the upstate winters are a big reason why I like it so much here. The 100+ inches of snow annually in the northern Syracuse suburbs became intolerable. Down here we occasionally get a hard frost, but it's usually gone by 10:00AM. Up there I stopped playing golf soon after Labor Day. We may have to wear long pants a few days a year down here, but we play all year long. I still miss my job and co-workers, as it was very fulfilling for me, but I manage to keep as busy as I want to be down here. I would caution you about finances. You will be getting out from under the NY state income taxes, but if you have financial pressures up there, you are likely to have them here as well. Proceed with care and good luck.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Living in New York, I think I would appreciate more of the laid back life style of the South. How many feel the lifestyle is so much better than the North if you are from there.
There will always things and people that will be treasured about the place you are leaving.

I like it here because we are retired from work.
I like that there is no bitter cold. I like that this place is peopled with mostly older adults and is well taken care of and offers so many things to do that I enjoy. I love being able to learn more about putting color and lines on paper in a pleasant way and I very much loved golf until my scoliosis won last year.

However the very things I listed as pluses can be minuses to a few. Some people like the change of seasons, don't play golf, and are not ready to stop working and living an organized life. And surprisingly, some are not comfortable with people who are a decade or so older than them.........

If we were all alike they would only sell vanilla ice cream.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
So hard to leave where I have been used to but if I am going to worry about money every day (taxes, oil heat, etc.) then it is time to move on.

Just hope the grass is greener on the other side.
Here are a couple of quotes to ponder...
“Happiness is an inside job!”
and
“Often, we will hang on to the known crummy,
out of fear of the unknown whatever!”
Old 12-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Sage

When we quit working we sold most everything land-based: house, cars, most of the furniture and put the remainder in a 10x10 storage locker. Then we left on a sailboat for over five years. Having committed to a drastic lifestyle change, we found no time to regret leaving, only time to focus on staying afloat and avoiding mishaps. It turned out to be the best time of our lives, at least as it now lives in our memories. Maybe for Tomcat an adventure of some type would be the answer to transitioning to retirement.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:13 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts

There is no reason to leave Long Island for TV except for the weather and financial considerations. Long Island still has a lot to offer that TV couldn't match on its best day.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:40 PM

Where I’m from ......NYC / LI the weather sucks and there are too many people.
Other than that I have many great relatives and good friends who still live there. If it wasn’t for that I would never go to NY.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There will always things and people that will be treasured about the place you are leaving.

I like it here because we are retired from work.
I like that there is no bitter cold. I like that this place is peopled with mostly older adults and is well taken care of and offers so many things to do that I enjoy. I love being able to learn more about putting color and lines on paper in a pleasant way and I very much loved golf until my scoliosis won last year.

However the very things I listed as pluses can be minuses to a few. Some people like the change of seasons, don't play golf, and are not ready to stop working and living an organized life. And surprisingly, some are not comfortable with people who are a decade or so older than them.........

If we were all alike they would only sell vanilla ice cream.
You are correct there except I am comfortable with people older than me. My husband is a good nine years older than me. Some people just need to grieve and miss what they were doing. Missing the routine, people, extra income. I love the Villages. Always wanted to go there. I left my job so fast that I did not really prepare myself sufficiently.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
There is no reason to leave Long Island for TV except for the weather and financial considerations. Long Island still has a lot to offer that TV couldn't match on its best day.
And crime, pollution.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
And crime, pollution.
The health implications of stress and pollution.

The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

Tags
lifestyle, feel, north, life, york

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.