Flowering schrubs

Old 02-10-2024, 08:32 AM
Default Flowering schrubs

What are the large purple flowering schrubs that people have planted in their flowerbeds?
Old 02-10-2024, 09:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdave View Post
What are the large purple flowering schrubs that people have planted in their flowerbeds?
They could be Mexican Petunias. I have 4 plants in front and they are a PITA! They are pretty and they attract hummingbirds and pollinators, but they are very invasive and spread like crazy. I've read where there might be a less invasive species. Do some research before you buy them.

Ruellia simplex (Britton'''s Wild Petunia, Mexican Bluebell, Mexican Petunia, Texas Petunia) | North Carolina Extension Gardener Plant Toolbox
Old 02-20-2024, 09:46 AM

Thank you
Old 02-20-2024, 07:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,479 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
They could be Mexican Petunias. I have 4 plants in front and they are a PITA! They are pretty and they attract hummingbirds and pollinators, but they are very invasive and spread like crazy. I've read where there might be a less invasive species. Do some research before you buy them.

Ruellia simplex (Britton'''s Wild Petunia, Mexican Bluebell, Mexican Petunia, Texas Petunia) | North Carolina Extension Gardener Plant Toolbox
What (s)he said. The house we bought had Mexican petunias across the garden outside the lanai. It took us three years to dig them out and spray with Roundup to get the ones that kept popping up in random spots. They spread through an underground root system, and even the smallest piece can regrow. SO invasive!
Old 02-20-2024, 09:57 PM

Shrubs
Old 02-21-2024, 07:06 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,057 Times in 539 Posts

Purple glory trees? Kind of short with lots of flowers?
Tibouchina I believe is the official phylum and species?

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Last edited by Normal; 02-21-2024 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:24 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post

On the left side of your link, a 'less problematic, but similar' plant was mentioned: Ruellia caroliniensis (Carolina Wild-petunia, Wild Petunia) | North Carolina Extension Gardener Plant Toolbox
Old 02-21-2024, 10:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
On the left side of your link, a 'less problematic, but similar' plant was mentioned: Ruellia caroliniensis (Carolina Wild-petunia, Wild Petunia) | North Carolina Extension Gardener Plant Toolbox
Good of you to point that out. It might save some folks a big headache down the road.
Old 02-22-2024, 06:22 PM
Platinum member

I have a Tibouchina (dwarf variety) in my front yard. Lots of people ask what it is but I don't know if that's what your looking for. Stop by 2170 Markridge Loop in Pennecamp to see.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:54 AM

There are purple azaleas as well. A picture would help a ton.

Amazon.com

Lots of purple flowers to see :P

Tags
flowering, schrubs, large, purple, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.