Flowers or weeds? Sad looking flowers around the common areas and roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2021, 06:24 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

TVs always have beautiful flower beds.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:24 AM
Veteran member

I really think she meant that the plants that were taken out, she took. Don't be so quick to judge next time
Old 09-20-2021, 06:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianaB View Post
I’ve been in/around The Villages for nearly 8 years and have always appreciated the landscaping and flowers throughout the neighborhoods. This year though, they look more like weeds! I’m wondering if they simply cut the budget, or what??
Looks pretty to me. And I dont see any budget cut
Old 09-20-2021, 06:29 AM
Veteran member

Actually I applaud the landscaping crew for doing such a good job. Different times of the year you have to plant differently. And it's nice to see that they have creativity in trying different plants. I certainly would not like to see the exact same thing over and over again whether it was typical marigolds or mums. There are a lot of perennials that are lovely that only come up for short times. Over in Pennbrooke , Fairways, we have several plantings of the large 4 ft perennials that have blue bell flowers on top that I don't know the name of that are just lovely but they only come up for a few short weeks a year and I would hate not to see them when they do. Back North we had tons of rhododendrons in azaleas which are not favored as much here but the azaleas seem to do very well but I have a few in my garden and in the spring they're lovely for several weeks, in The villages however I don't see so many roses planted but they tend to do very nicely of course in Florida and I have a few here and they're perennial and Bloom constantly during the year.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:36 AM

I actually love these flowers! Trying to find out what they are as I would love some in my flower beds!
Old 09-20-2021, 06:55 AM

I think the flowers are beautiful! You can not trim palms all the time. The arborist informed me the more you trim palms the larger they grow. You are not supposed to trim palms. They are supposed to shed.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:58 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Yes, to your question..... flower budget cuts. A headline in the only news source. CDD 2 supervisor suggests cutting back on flowers to save money. "A Community Development District 2 supervisor has suggested cutting back 10 percent on flowers to save residents’ money on maintenance assessment fees.

Supervisor Bart Zoellner raised the idea Friday at the CDD 2 board meeting at Savannah Center. The board was discussing a proposed $1.5 million operating budget for the 2021-2022 fiscal year. The budget includes an 8 percent increase in maintenance assessment fees paid by residents."
Old 09-20-2021, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrvnandtaz View Post
“ , I got lucky and was driving by at the time. I grabbed a few random plants, I don't even know what kind they were, and planted them in pots in my garden.‘

So it is OK to steal plants
I think Orange Blossom took only the discarded plants the landscapers were removing.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
Yes, to your question..... flower budget cuts. A headline in the only news source. CDD 2 supervisor suggests cutting back on flowers to save money. "A Community Development District 2 supervisor has suggested cutting back 10 percent on flowers to save residents’ money on maintenance assessment fees.

Supervisor Bart Zoellner raised the idea Friday at the CDD 2 board meeting at Savannah Center. The board was discussing a proposed $1.5 million operating budget for the 2021-2022 fiscal year. The budget includes an 8 percent increase in maintenance assessment fees paid by residents."
Nah. I don't think that has happened. Someone may have raised the subject but that doesn't mean they have cut the budget. Sad thing is that the economy has made all things cost more.

One of the things I love about this place are the flowers everywhere and the care given to the public areas. Some people are more "visual" than others.

Sometimes I love the choices made more than other times but I have never not liked them. They are a joy to see.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:58 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

I wish I could know when the landscaping crews were pulling because they put them in plastic bags and dispose of them. I would take some of these plants for my natural garden!
Old 09-20-2021, 08:03 AM

Look on the other side.(pass 466) their flower beds are much nicer. I think their bond Snd taxes were different .
Old 09-20-2021, 08:27 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
“ , I got lucky and was driving by at the time. I grabbed a few random plants, I don't even know what kind they were, and planted them in pots in my garden.‘

When they're putting in new plants they will give you all you want of the plants being removed...
Old 09-20-2021, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:

I took the discarded plants that they had pulled out of the beds. They had to do that in order to put in new plants. They do this every quarter. If you're lucky, and enjoy gardening, you will be in the spots where they're doing their quarterly switching and get your pick of the discards before they bag them and throw them in the trash.

There is usually nothing wrong with any of the plants, and if they're not unrooted and burned by the sun after sitting there without soil, water, shade, for a few hours, then they can be easily replanted in your own garden and give you a few months of enjoyment.

They don't sell the ones they pull out of those beds, they throw them in the trash. It's a HUGE waste of money and I can't stand that they do that to perfectly good, healthy growing plants.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:

😖. So, did you enjoy your short time in the limelight?
Old 09-20-2021, 09:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyjerez View Post
Look on the other side.(pass 466) their flower beds are much nicer. I think their bond Snd taxes were different .
Which is the "other side" of 466 (that has better plants)?
Closed Thread

Tags
flowers, weeds, neighborhoods, year, i’m

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.