Food poisoning?

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2016, 06:43 PM
Default Food poisoning?

My wife, my son in law and I got seriously ill last night. We are thinking either flu or food poisoning but think we have ruled out flu because it hit the three of us literally simultaneously. We had eaten at a certain Brownwood restaurant on Tuesday. That is the only time we ate the same thing. I don't want to name the restaurant because I don't want to harm them based on my speculation but would be curious to know if anyone had food poisoning symptoms in the last day or so after eating in Brownwood.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:02 PM
Veteran member

Google "flu symptoms"
Old 12-22-2016, 09:06 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlongman View Post
My wife, my son in law and I got seriously ill last night. We are thinking either flu or food poisoning but think we have ruled out flu because it hit the three of us literally simultaneously. We had eaten at a certain Brownwood restaurant on Tuesday. That is the only time we ate the same thing. I don't want to name the restaurant because I don't want to harm them based on my speculation but would be curious to know if anyone had food poisoning symptoms in the last day or so after eating in Brownwood.
Your reference to the timing for all 3 suggest your food poisoning

some years back we had attended a retirement party. Those who had soup about half the room all experience the onset of illness at time. One couple stopped over to my house for breakfast and all of us experienced the same symptoms at exactly the same time and for the same duration. but once it was over it was over

In order to legally verify food poisoning you would have had to go to the ER and have them test you and yours
Old 12-22-2016, 09:39 PM
Platinum member

Was the restaurant off the beaten track at Brownwood. I had an issue couple of weeks ago
Old 12-22-2016, 10:12 PM
Sage

There is a flu going around that people are getting sick for about 24 hours.

I also was at a work party.... everyone got sick the same day and no one ate the same food.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:46 PM

Please call the Sumter County Public Health Department. 352-689-4675. They are located at the County annex on 466 and Morse. The personnel there need to know about the 3 of you becoming ill at the same time and where you ate. It's their job to help you determine the possible cause of the illness and protect others, if a food borne illness might be involved.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Flu is a primarily respiratory disease not gastrointestinal. If all of you became ill at the same time, that strongly suggests a common exposure. It could be food borne or exposure to a contagious person. However, food is more likely as it would be uncommon for a contagious person to be able to infect all of you successfully.
Yes you can report this to the health dept. There is NO reason to go to the ER unless you are experiencing a serious illness. Don't use the ER that way. There is a reason the E means emergency.
Your primary care doctor is perfectly capable of ordering stool culture at either an office visit or over the phone. The health department can, but I don't know if they will, also take charge of specimen collection. They will want to know what items, exactly, each person consumed to look for common exposure should a pathogen be detected.
Even if this was a food borne illness, testing may fail to identify the source. You just don't typically test for everything especially if the patient is doing well and there is not a wide outbreak of illness [which is why you started this topic.. good job]
Old 12-23-2016, 12:15 PM
Sage

About 3 mo. ago I got ill (gastrointestinal) very suddenly. At first I thought food poisoning since it came out of no-where. BUT I felt icky for about 3 days following, so it was some type of "flu". Yes, I know that a "true flu" is respiratory but many of us equate gastro. issues as that too.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:32 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Never mind

Last edited by Boomer; 12-23-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:40 PM
Eternal Member

I don't know how anyone can determine from what or where they got food poisoning from.
This is from The Mayo Clinic. There are many reliable sources saying pretty much the same thing.
Food poisoning symptoms vary with the source of contamination. Most types of food poisoning cause one or more of the following signs and symptoms:

Nausea
Vomiting
Watery diarrhea
Abdominal pain and cramps
Fever
Signs and symptoms may start within hours after eating the contaminated food, or they may begin days or even weeks later. Sickness caused by food poisoning generally lasts from a few hours to several days.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Flu is a primarily respiratory disease not gastrointestinal. If all of you became ill at the same time, that strongly suggests a common exposure. It could be food borne or exposure to a contagious person. However, food is more likely as it would be uncommon for a contagious person to be able to infect all of you successfully.
Yes you can report this to the health dept. There is NO reason to go to the ER unless you are experiencing a serious illness. Don't use the ER that way. There is a reason the E means emergency.
Your primary care doctor is perfectly capable of ordering stool culture at either an office visit or over the phone. The health department can, but I don't know if they will, also take charge of specimen collection. They will want to know what items, exactly, each person consumed to look for common exposure should a pathogen be detected.
Even if this was a food borne illness, testing may fail to identify the source. You just don't typically test for everything especially if the patient is doing well and there is not a wide outbreak of illness [which is why you started this topic.. good job]
Old 12-23-2016, 04:12 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

I, who almost never get sick, came down with flue like systems early this morning. We ate at home last night and then went to Brownwood for Rocky & R. After writing this comment, it’s back to bed for me so no Scooter tonight. Maybe it was something in the air at Brownwood last night.
Nausea -Yes
Vomiting - Yes
Watery diarrhea - Yes
Abdominal pain and cramps - Yes
Fever - ? soon to be here full time – I believe the gage is still in Ohio
Old 12-23-2016, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I, who almost never get sick, came down with flue like systems early this morning. We ate at home last night and then went to Brownwood for Rocky & R. After writing this comment, it’s back to bed for me so no Scooter tonight. Maybe it was something in the air at Brownwood last night.
Nausea -Yes
Vomiting - Yes
Watery diarrhea - Yes
TMI
Old 12-23-2016, 05:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Nausea -Yes
Vomiting - Yes
Watery diarrhea - Yes
I hope you notified Rocky and the Rollers in case it was something they played
Old 12-23-2016, 10:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Nausea -Yes
Vomiting - Yes
Watery diarrhea - Yes
TMI warning...THESE are exactly what I had when I thought it was food poisoning. Following the above was achey body, headache, malaise...it will go away in 48 to 76 hrs.
Closed Thread

Tags
food, poisoning, brownwood, flu, restaurant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.