Fool and his money.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Thank you JRRef,

Articulate, Helpful, & Informative as always.
Agree, great synthesis.

The only thing I'd add is for homes with metallic gas lines in the attic, lightening suppression is more important due to the greater risk of fire induced be lightening.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proveone View Post
When you agreed to have the surge protector installed, the SECO rep should have told you the options to rent or buy. I believe, if you buy, you will need to replace in ten years. Not sure, if you rent, the replacement in ten years, is covered with the rental fee. If you rent, there is an installation fee but if you buy there is no install fee.
in my defense, the surge thing was on the meter when I bought the house (2017)
They let me know it. I just wanted the electric on and didn't care with all the chaos of moving in.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:23 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
in my defense, the surge thing was on the meter when I bought the house (2017)
They let me know it. I just wanted the electric on and didn't care with all the chaos of moving in.

Also there have been many good points made in this discussion. Especially RSMurano's regarding leasing. Leasing the surge protector might cost a few extra bucks over the course of six years, but the insurance protection of the utility replacing it, when necessary, most likely makes it more than worthwhile. So, after reading every single post in this thread, I think you were smart to lease.
Old 03-14-2024, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Also there have been many good points made in this discussion. Especially RSMurano's regarding leasing. Leasing the surge protector might cost a few extra bucks over the course of six years, but the insurance protection of the utility replacing it, when necessary, most likely makes it more than worthwhile. So, after reading every single post in this thread, I think you were smart to lease.
On the day of purchase, I would get a 15 year warranty.
That should cover the rest of my days.
So I believe I would get the coverage for 15 years

Last edited by Tyrone Shoelaces; 03-14-2024 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:30 AM
Veteran member

Different companies surge protectors have different colored lights. Mine is red, my neighbors is green. I had a TV and several appliances blow out from electric surges from what I believe was lightening. I have had no issues since having surge protectors installed but I haven't seen electrical storms being as severe as in the past but I'm sure that can change...
Old 03-16-2024, 08:02 AM
Default Lightning strikes

A house on our street got struck by lightning a couple years ago. The whole house had to be re-wired, meaning removing sheetrock, etc.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
Am I the only SECO customer that pays $5.95 a month for a surge lease?
Which I've been doing for over six years.
I just called, and, Good News! I can simply buy the damn thing for $350 right now.
That stings, knowing I've waisted hundreds all ready.
You can install a better surge device in your panel breaker box for less money and it works better. Plus if you move you can take it with you.

Tags
fool, news, simply, buy, damn

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.