Old 03-13-2024, 08:27 AM
Default surge

I'd maybe have it in Texas land of BIG lightning and hail
Old 03-13-2024, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Apparently, it depends on the type of surge protector you have.
I submitted a question about this today. In an automated "thank you for your question" response there was a link to a FAQ that contained this entry:
How do I know the Surge MitiGator™ is working?

The Surge MitiGator™ is equipped with two red lights that stay on continuously. This indicates the arrester is working properly.
I expect I will get a personal, non-automated response also, but this answered the question.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-13-2024, 08:37 AM
Thumbs down Surge Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
Am I the only SECO customer that pays $5.95 a month for a surge lease?
Which I've been doing for over six years.
I just called, and, Good News! I can simply buy the damn thing for $350 right now.
That stings, knowing I've waisted hundreds all ready.
Ask what the lease or purchase will protect. It seems to me that any appliance or device with a motherboard is not covered. Probably, just your toaster.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I submitted a question about this today. In an automated "thank you for your question" response there was a link to a FAQ that contained this entry:
How do I know the Surge MitiGator™ is working?

The Surge MitiGator™ is equipped with two red lights that stay on continuously. This indicates the arrester is working properly.
I expect I will get a personal, non-automated response also, but this answered the question.
Thanks, but the poster who asked the question (Post No. 14), said that some of his neighbors have a red light and some have a green light, not two lights. Also, it doesn't sound logical that a green light would indicate a malfunction. A lot of people in The Villages do not get their electricity from SECO, so perhaps this is a different model surge protector?
Old 03-13-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I just called, and, Good News! I can simply buy the damn thing for $350 right now.
When you agreed to have the surge protector installed, the SECO rep should have told you the options to rent or buy. I believe, if you buy, you will need to replace in ten years. Not sure, if you rent, the replacement in ten years, is covered with the rental fee. If you rent, there is an installation fee but if you buy there is no install fee.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
Ask what the lease or purchase will protect. It seems to me that any appliance or device with a motherboard is not covered. Probably, just your toaster.
I wouldn't ask. Just go to the SECO website and read the warranty yourself, especially the exclusion clause. You will discover that almost nothing in your house is covered by the warranty.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Thanks, but the poster who asked the question (Post No. 14), said that some of his neighbors have a red light and some have a green light, not two lights. Also, it doesn't sound logical that a green light would indicate a malfunction. A lot of people in The Villages do not get their electricity from SECO, so perhaps this is a different model surge protector?
Yes, you're right, it is likely those are different protectors. When the SECO person called back she mentioned that I had a 200A service which makes me think there might be a different protector for a larger service. SECO vice Leesburg electric, 200A vice larger service, utility installed vice Amazon purchase.... all could explain why the lights might be different.

It doesn't sound logical that a green light would indicate a malfunction. A light that is off when it should be on makes sense (I should have two lights on). A light that is red when it should be green makes sense. But turning a red light to green as an indication of a malfunction isn't logical. It probably would cut down on trouble calls though: "the light is green so it must be good."

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-13-2024, 09:08 AM

I had a lighting strike that fried my furnace in the garage. This was determined by my insurance company that paid my claim. I called regarding my surge protector and after they inspected it they determined it wasn't lightning and that the surge protector was working perfectly. No more surge protector for me. A waste of money.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:10 AM
Veteran member

It’s cheap insurance. I knew somebody that had to replace their newer smart appliances a couple of times within a couple of years because of power surges. We all have expensive items plugged in and any help in surges is cheap insurance.
In the long run, you might save a couple of dollars buying the surge device yourself, but do you get the insurance, do you get free support meaning if a surge breaks the surge protector, you have to pay if you own it, I call the utility to replace it for free.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:33 AM
Default Seatbelts Save Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredMitchell View Post
A nice example of the hasty generalization fallacy. What's worse is, you might even know someone who had the breaker trip and reset it. If he didn't mention it to you, or if you forgot, you actually did know someone who needed it.

Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence.

Just because you don't know of an example in your limited experience does not mean that it is even uncommon.

My brother's life was saved by wearing seatbelts. They save many lives. But probably lots of people don't personally know someone who is alive because of wearing one.
I beg to differ. I was a state trooper in Ohio, and for several years the Highway Patrol awarded "Saved by the Belt" certificates to crash victims who suffered less or no injuries from the collisions, while others without the belt were killed or severely injured. In my 27-year career with the organization, I knew of many people who were alive because they wore safety restraints.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Yes, you're right, it is likely those are different protectors. When the SECO person called back she mentioned that I had a 200A service which makes me think there might be a different protector for a larger service. SECO vice Leesburg electric, 200A vice larger service, utility installed vice Amazon purchase.... all could explain why the lights might be different.

It doesn't sound logical that a green light would indicate a malfunction. A light that is off when it should be on makes sense (I should have two lights on). A light that is red when it should be green makes sense. But turning a red light to green as an indication of a malfunction isn't logical. It probably would cut down on trouble calls though: "the light is green so it must be good."
The current spec sheet says green but older may be red.

There is a label that says:

"IF ONE OR MORE LIGHTS ARE OUT-UNIT MUST BE SERVICED."
Old 03-13-2024, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I was interested in protection from a nearby lightning strike, not the little surges that we experience all the time. I was considering SECO. I found the following.

1) I read several articles and was told by an electrician that whole house surge protectors (type 1) may protect appliances, AC etc. but not things like computers and TVs. (not sure why, but a lot of sources say this).

2) You need a type 2 protector, something like a power strip surge protector for computers, tvs, etc. Should have a rating of 1000 joules or more, or so I read.

2) I stopped by my home insurance office, State Farm, and they said that they cover such damage to appliances etc subject to my deductible.

3) I decided against the type 1 device, but installed type 2 devices for computers, cell phones etc. I installed a protector with a battery back-up for my internet modem and router so we can have internet for some time if the power goes out (assuming a lightning event doesn't take out Xfinity.)

I am no expert and don't play one on TV, this is just what I could find asking around and reading several articles.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:54 PM

We bought the surge protector outright from SECO for $350. Looking back, we could have saved by shopping around. We knew how they worked from Rving days. Definitely get surge protection on your main appliances. Warrantees may require it. If you get hit, usually you just replace a surge protector board for about $100 and you are up and running.

Florida has a lot of lightening storms and these devices protect your large appliances. We have additional surge protectors (high joule) on computers, laser printers, and induction cook surfaces. After you have been here a while and experience the storms, you can get a better feel for the risks in this state.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:30 AM

I'm one of the engineers in the Villages Lightning Study Group headed by Len Hathaway. We give presentations on Lightning protection and surge protection to many groups frequently in the Villages. If you have the time, it's well worth it to go to one of the presentations so you can make your own informed decision.

There were a lot of responses to the initial question. There are two parts to the answer. First there is protection from a direct lightning strike to your home and then there is protection from induced power surges into your home’s electrical system if lightning strikes nearby.

There is nothing that will 100% protect your home from a direct lightning strike. A lightning protection system (lightning rod system) will minimize and or may prevent damage and will significantly lessen the risk of your home burning to the ground from this type of weather event. Because of all the building in the Villages we hear more and more about homes being struck and burning to the ground over the past couple of years.

The other part concerns surge protection which is more common but less often reported. This more frequently happens when lightning strikes near your home. When this occurs your home may get hit by an "induced“ surge which frequently trips circuit breakers, especially freezers and door openers in your garage but depending on the intensity can damage your HVAC system, inside and out, all your appliances, electronic equipment, pool and spa equipment, etc.. Surge protection is a layered system. There is a surge protector you can purchase or rent from your electric company mounted on the electrical meter as discussed here in this thread, which will protect you against surges coming in from the power lines. This happens statistically 20% of the time. Everyone is correct, the electric company has a sophisticated surge and grounding system to protect from this type of event and because most power surges don't come into your home from the utility, many who have this device still report surge damage in their home and the surge protector at the meter shows no sign of a surge. In addition to the surge protector at your electrical meter you can install what is called a "whole house surge protector". There are many but the Eaton Ultra is one of the more affordable and effective ones that's commonly installed by most electrical companies such as Pikes and Lenhart. This surge protector is mounted at your electrical circuit breaker box. Because it’s located at the breaker box the other 80% of the power surges you can get such as at the outside HVAC unit, pool, spa, outside lighting, etc., will be shunted by this device at the circuit breaker box and reduce and or eliminate the surge from spreading to the rest of the circuits in your home. Because surges are so fast, the surge protector has to be as close to the source as possible to be effective. The surge protector mounted on the electrical meter can help, but it's not designed to shunt these other types of induced surges. Its sole purpose is to reduce large surges coming from the power lines or surges induced into the power lines coming to your home so the rest of the surge protectors in your home can handle the level of the surge that remains. It can also shunt power surges originating from the rest of your electrical system but not to a low enough level for total protection. This is why their warranty doesn't cover any device with an electronic board. The "whole house" surge protector mounted in your circuit breaker box will protect your appliances, washer dryer and all other devices that are hard wired such as the HVAC air handler and your electric hot water heater because it's designed to shunt surges to either eliminate them or shunt them to a low enough level that your devices or other surge protection can handle the surge. The final protection are the surge protection power strips, plug-in or point of use surge protectors which you install at your TVs, computers and any other sensitive electrical equipment. These devices will shunt and protect your equipment form any remaining surges that get through your meter or whole house surge protector. If you want to go further you can install point of use surge protector outlets or plug-in protectors for your microwave, dishwasher, garage door openers, etc. and or hard-wired surge protectors at you outside HVAC unit, pool and spa equipment.

To summarize, Surge Protection is a layered system. You want to install surge protectors to reduce and or eliminate the power surge so by the time an initally large surge reaches your home devices it's small enough for the point of use surge protector to handle it. Damage from power surges is covered in your homeowner’s insurance but you still have to pay the deductible and deal with replacing all the damaged devices. We live in the lightning capital of the USA so investing in surge protection is probably a wise investment but like insurance, it depends on your tolerance to risk. I can tell you personally, there are many homeowners who experience an induced power surge from lightning strikes and loose all their electronic devices and never talk about it meaning it happens more frequently here in the Villages than you would expect. Most of us have at least $1,000 deductible on our homeowner’s insurance which more than pays for the surge protection I discussed here in this response. At the end of the day, you need to look at what it will cost to install a surge protection system, at a minimum installing something like the Eaton surge protector in your circuit breaker panel and point of use surge protectors at your TV, computer and other sensitive devices, vs your tolerance for risk. Remember, even though your insurance will cover devices destroyed by power surges in your home, you will have the inconvenience of dealing with the insurance company, having to replace everything that was destroyed and probably get an increase in your insurance premium at your next renewal.

I hope my response gives enough information so those reading can make an informed decision when it comes to lightning and surge protection.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I'm one of the engineers in the Villages Lightning Study Group headed by Len Hathaway. We give presentations on Lightning protection and surge protection to many groups frequently in the Villages. If you have the time, it's well worth it to go to one of the presentations so you can make your own informed decision.

I hope my response gives enough information so those reading can make an informed decision when it comes to lightning and surge protection.
Thank you JRRef,

Articulate, Helpful, & Informative as always.

Tags
fool, news, simply, buy, damn

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.