Forum for Volunteerism??

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Sage
Default Forum for Volunteerism??

I am ready to volunteer and would like to see online what's up with organizations, clubs needing donations of this and that, or for immediate needs, which are now being published under "support groups".

I suggested to the admin that a forum in lifestyles for Volunteerism would be helpful. Shout our if you think that is a good idea or not...or if I'm missing something already on TOTV, LMK.
Kitty
Old 05-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,391 Times in 2,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
I am ready to volunteer and would like to see online what's up with organizations, clubs needing donations of this and that, or for immediate needs, which are now being published under "support groups".

I suggested to the admin that a forum in lifestyles for Volunteerism would be helpful. Shout our if you think that is a good idea or not...or if I'm missing something already on TOTV, LMK.
Kitty
Volunteer opportunities are published weekly in the Daily Sun.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Sage

Thanks, Bogey. Do you think a forum online would be appropriate?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:49 PM

Kitty,
The American Cancer Society is looking for volunteers to help as "Champions" for our CPS3 (Cancer Prevention Study 3) at The Villages Hospital System. A Champion would recruit 10 volunteers to participate in the study and participate themselves if they qualify.

The criteria for participating in the study is to be between the ages of 30-65
Never have had cancer, although basal and squamis cell skin cancers are okay
Be willing to commit to be followed for 20 years.

A Participant would schedule an appointment online to participate July 17 between 1-7 PM. These are appointment driven with appointments lasting no more than 15 minutes.

Each participant would complete a brief survey before their appointment
Give 1 vial of blood
Weigh
Waist measurement

Every two years, you will receive a follow up survey to complete and return.
Information is confidential, but very important in determining how our lifestyles, environment, habits, etc. affect someone from getting or not getting a diagnosis of cancer.

A Champion volunteer would attend a kick off tomorrow at the Sharon Morse building room 520 at 4PM until 5PM. Afterward, you would help recruit participants to schedule appointments for the July 17 CPS3 study. Pretty simple and extremely important work. If you are interested but unable to attend tomorrow, I can meet to review the material to get you started. LRMC & TVHS are host sites for the study and providing internal champions as well.

Hope you will consider it and share the information with others you may know. We are trying to recruit 400 people for this study locally and 300,000 in the state of Florida. I appreciate your help. Call or email me with questions. Dorothy Hardee - 352.326.9599 x 5706 or dorothy.hardee@cancer.org
Old 05-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Veteran member

Do you paint or do lawn work?

J/K....of course.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,391 Times in 2,403 Posts

Quote:
Thanks, Bogey. Do you think a forum online would be appropriate?
Probably not. Who would maintain?
Old 05-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Dorothy has just used the opportunity to get volunteers for a study, but she could have done that just by posting.

The Daily Sun does a pretty good job listing opportunities for volunteering.

There are all kinds of places to contribute things, the backpack program to help kids in local schools that are hungry and St. Vincent de Paul collects food all of the time and usable clothing and furniture for those in need. St. Timothy's collects newspapers and soda tops. Habitat for Humanity could use your sinks and faucets if you replace them.

It would be a good idea to list places to contribute items to help others or to cook for others or deliver meals on wheels.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Sage
Default can I paint?

Oh yeah, I can paint, (but I wouldn't hire me if I were you).
We'll need an extra gallon to go on my hair and a roll of towels for cleanup and I can't draw a line with a pencil.
Kitty--
Old 05-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Oh yeah, I can paint, (but I wouldn't hire me if I were you).
We'll need an extra gallon to go on my hair and a roll of towels for cleanup and I can't draw a line with a pencil.
Kitty--
Good one!

Old 05-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Sage

I find that the Christian Food Pantry in Lady Lake is a very satifying volunteer organization. We feed approximately 435 families per month. This is a joint ministry of North Lake Presbyterian Church and The Villages.

PM me if you want more information about it.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Send a message via AIM to vitacr

Centsible Furnishings (on 441 N of 42) always needs volunteers. It is a combined effort of 31 churches under the umbrella LOVE, INC (In the Name of Christ). Everything in the store is donated - they sell household items, furniture, clothing, books, linens, etc..........the proceeds of all sales go to help the needy in the tri-county area.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.