D Day, June 6

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2020, 07:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default D Day, June 6

Today is D Day. How many of you remembered the people who gave their lives so that we could live in freedom.

History | D-Day | June 6, 1944 | The United States Army

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-06-2020, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Today is D Day. How many of you remembered the people who gave their lives so that we could live in freedom.

History | D-Day | June 6, 1944 | The United States Army
The culmination of a horrible, horrible event, but one necessary to end an era of misery.

Those people you reference are real heroes and to whom we all owe so much.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

We were there a few years ago and the courage of these young men was incredible and amazing.

We owe them a debt than can never be paid.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

As a small kid, I remember all the convoys heading to the south of England.
Troops threw coins to us as we waved to them.
Prized possesion was chocolate that only American soldiers seemed to have.
I was to young to realise what was happening, but it was one of the few things of those times I do remember.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:44 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

One mans story.
D-Day “Things You Don’t Forget” | Memoirs Of WWII #14 - YouTube

Steve
Old 06-06-2020, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

My dad jumped into Normandy with the 101’ST Airborne he spent an hour wandering around alone except for seeing a few Germans , he finally hooked up with some other troopers who thought he was.a high ranking officer because he was 38. You see my father had been a Union organizer in the 30’s all over country and then fought in the Spanish Civil war he was to old for ww2 but went anyway. He was rewarded for his service by being kicked out of his National Union office during the 1950’S witch hunt for communist , never bitter for himself ( he still had his iron working card) but sad for all the lives ruined . I guess for a lot of people today my father still wouldn’t be considered a good American , he would get a laugh out of that
Old 06-06-2020, 10:20 AM

On June 6th, 1944, at a stretch of sand known as Omaha Beach, a group of courageous and frightened men achieved an astounding thing, a victory won at great cost. We today who live in a free an prosperous nation are the beneficiaries of their service and sacrifice.
Thank You to the 29th Division who lead the first wave.
My dad, Paul L Kendall, was a Sergeant in the 29th and landed on day two.
I keep his love for the men he lost alive, by supporting The National D-Day Memorial Foundation.
It is located in Bedford, Virginia. If you get a chance, please visit their web site.

TWO BILLS - Your story of the chocolate coins really hit my heart. My Dad loved kids and always talked about giving the candy, especially the Hershey Bars to kids he would come upon in his travels during the war.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

And how many more generations will it take to either be forgotten or rewriten?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-06-2020, 12:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
And how many more generations will it take to either be forgotten or rewriten?
It is not forgotten in Europe. I have been there during this time and seen the incredibly moving ceremonies in all the Allied countries in honor of the men who fought and lost their lives. They also keep the memory going with the Flanders Poppy. You will not find anyone in the UK without a poppy in their lapel on this day.

We also have a National Poppy Day to remember our war dead National Poppy Day® May 22, 2020.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-06-2020, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
It is not forgotten in Europe. I have been there during this time and seen the incredibly moving ceremonies in all the Allied countries in honor of the men who fought and lost their lives. They also keep the memory going with the Flanders Poppy. You will not find anyone in the UK without a poppy in their lapel on this day.

We also have a National Poppy Day to remember our war dead National Poppy Day® May 22, 2020.
Have friends in Europe and I agree, they have a much more personal view of what that day meant. I think the are better at teaching the upcoming generations on legacy than we are. Pearl Harbor day is hardly observed anymore and if you have a conversation with recently graduated grand kids they have no idea what that meant. We no longer teach.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-06-2020, 03:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Have friends in Europe and I agree, they have a much more personal view of what that day meant. I think the are better at teaching the upcoming generations on legacy than we are. Pearl Harbor day is hardly observed anymore and if you have a conversation with recently graduated grand kids they have no idea what that meant. We no longer teach.
My husband was in London on business one year when the Jewish Memorial Service was held in Horse guards Parade and the Cenetaph. It was a miserable, cold, dark, wet day and people were lining the streets to cheer these elderly soldiers, some in wheel chairs, some walking on canes, some on walkers. It has never left my memory. Jewish Veterans And Serving Personnel Take Part In Remembrance Parade

Old 06-06-2020, 03:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCsun View Post
On June 6th, 1944, at a stretch of sand known as Omaha Beach, a group of courageous and frightened men achieved an astounding thing, a victory won at great cost. We today who live in a free an prosperous nation are the beneficiaries of their service and sacrifice.
Thank You to the 29th Division who lead the first wave.
My dad, Paul L Kendall, was a Sergeant in the 29th and landed on day two.
I keep his love for the men he lost alive, by supporting The National D-Day Memorial Foundation.
It is located in Bedford, Virginia. If you get a chance, please visit their web site.

TWO BILLS - Your story of the chocolate coins really hit my heart. My Dad loved kids and always talked about giving the candy, especially the Hershey Bars to kids he would come upon in his travels during the war.
Have been to the memorial in Bedford, lived nearby in Roanoke. I second the notion of well worth a visit. Lots of fellows from Bedford lost their lives the first day
Old 06-06-2020, 03:24 PM
Sage

We had a tour of two landing beaches and also had a chance to visit the cemetary.

Always thought the French hated us but a different story emerged during this day.

The people in Normandy love us and that day quite a few school children were there placing flower and wreaths by the tombstones of our soldiers.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:22 AM

My Dad, Chief Master Sergeant C. H. Harris, Jr. He was in the Corps of Engineers and later built bridges to enable the army to advance. I don't know what day he arrived, but I think in the third day or so. I would ask him about it and he always downplayed it that he could only hear the bullets going over his head. Today, we know more about the reality and horrors. Thank you, Dad and the many other heroes. We are free today because of people like you and we stand to learn from your generation that today, especially today, challenges face us. And we, you and I, must step up and do the right thing. Only then can we truly honor others.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce03 View Post
My Dad, Chief Master Sergeant C. H. Harris, Jr. He was in the Corps of Engineers and later built bridges to enable the army to advance. I don't know what day he arrived, but I think in the third day or so. I would ask him about it and he always downplayed it that he could only hear the bullets going over his head. Today, we know more about the reality and horrors. Thank you, Dad and the many other heroes. We are free today because of people like you and we stand to learn from your generation that today, especially today, challenges face us. And we, you and I, must step up and do the right thing. Only then can we truly honor others.
Very true thanks for sharing.
Closed Thread

Tags
day, freedom, live, lives, gave

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.