Fraud Alert!

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oraleejn View Post
I just got a new FRADULENT phone call. The call started out by thanking me for my Amazon purchase of $399.?? Since we have Prime and often order from them, I was not surprised, but the amount was more than I membered spending. I panicked! The call went on to say that if we had not made the charge, I should press “1”. Why would they offer that to EVERYONE? I called Amazon & they said they would never call me. The charge was also NOT on my account
BEWARE of all phone calls, especially during the Holiday season! DO NOT give them any Information!:
That's not new. It's just a phone version of those email saying the same thing. "If you didn't make this purchase, click here ..." and then you are directed to a link that looks like an Amazon login and is designed to steal your id / password when you type it in.

In the phone version, they will ask you to confirm your credit card so that they can refund the purchase price. There are still dummies out there giving this information over the phone to "Dave" who sounds like Anup Gupta from India.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:52 AM

In addition to the phone calls, emails saying your renewal of a subscription to a tech repair. All these scams should be ignored and deleted or forwarded to the company’s fraud site. If you question it, go online and check, but NOT through the links they offer. Also watch out for shipping confirmations and tracking. Check orders and charges directly without using links.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:02 AM
Location: Chicago area but spend a month every year in The Villages

I got an email on this. Not Amazon. I called Amazon and they said to ignore it. It is hackers.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:12 AM

This is a scam that has gone on for a long time but I think more people are more likely to fall for it since we are all ordering on line more. If you are ever in doubt about a call or email contact the source directly like you did but if you still have questions you can call seniors V Crime at the sherifs annex. 352-689-4600.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oraleejn View Post
I just got a new FRADULENT phone call. The call started out by thanking me for my Amazon purchase of $399.?? Since we have Prime and often order from them, I was not surprised, but the amount was more than I membered spending. I panicked! The call went on to say that if we had not made the charge, I should press “1”. Why would they offer that to EVERYONE? I called Amazon & they said they would never call me. The charge was also NOT on my account
BEWARE of all phone calls, especially during the Holiday season! DO NOT give them any Information!:
Good Warning! Myself I would of called my bank & told them about it. My bank has always taken care of issues like this. I’m surprised my bank haven’t call me yet & asked me if to call them about some charges yet, because I’m in Ohio & I live in Texas!
Old 12-09-2020, 08:45 AM

Check your Amazon order page and that should ease your panic.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have turned on 2 factor security, when ever I sign in (user name and password) I get a phone call with a code that I must enter to actually get on the site. This should keep the account safe.
I bought flights and hotel rooms for a family of four in China with 2 factor security on my account.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:50 AM

Come on people. Common sense should tell you these are fraudsters and hackers. Hang up/don't answer. Don't reply/delete. Scammers/Hackers will always try. How stupid do they think we are???
Old 12-09-2020, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

and wouldn't you know i got this seasons 1st Social Security fraud call 2 days ago! LOL. press 1 to be connected to someone in some foreign country.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:01 AM

If number is not one I know it can go to voice mail. I do not answer ANY calls unless I know the caller. Voice Mail saves me all the time.. if the scammed call leaves a message Block and Delete. NEVER answer unless in my contacts.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Another Idea

Check your credit card charges on a daily basis and if you spot a $1.00 charge call
and contest it as this is a method some use to see if you are watching charges to
your credit card. If you don't contest it right away the hacker knows your careless with card charges and next time will bill a much greater sum against your card.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:16 AM

I received a similar one. Someone called and said he was checking a possibly fraudulent charge on my Visa, an IPhone in Austrailia. When I said it wasn't anything I had ordered he said that the charge would be removed from my account as soon as I answered a few questions about my account. Click.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:30 AM

I received that call Thanksgiving day. I kept them on the phone for 30 minutes. Then I told them shame on you for ripping people off! My father fell for it twice! They get on your computer remotely and get on your accounts! Plus they charged him hundreds of dollars! Never let a third party remotely access your computer. I’m glad I wasted their time that day. That was 30 minutes they weren’t ripping someone else off!
Old 12-09-2020, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Scam calls and emails have been around for decades. Nothing new and neither is this scam. Its an everyday occurrence
Maybe so, but it never hurts to inform others. There might be some out there who don't know about this scam.

Thanks to the OP.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by linko38 View Post
I received that call Thanksgiving day. I kept them on the phone for 30 minutes. Then I told them shame on you for ripping people off! My father fell for it twice! They get on your computer remotely and get on your accounts! Plus they charged him hundreds of dollars! Never let a third party remotely access your computer. I’m glad I wasted their time that day. That was 30 minutes they weren’t ripping someone else off!
Wow, 30 minutes, that is a record.
When they call me, I always say I'm glad you called. I'm in the middle of cooking Mom's tomato sauce. Hold on for a second and I just need to stir it. I come back and ask them if they think it needs more salt. I debate with them, yes or no. I tell them to hold on for a sec while I add salt. My record so far is only three times. Clearly, I need to try harder.
Closed Thread

Tags
call, amazon, phone, charge, offer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.